Are pets allowed on O ships?

Sujormik

Why would the ADA apply to a foreign flagged ship unless it's departing from a US port?

On a slightly separate note, the ADA does not require a business to accommodate service "animals".  It requires you to accommodate service dogs and miniature horses.   That's it.  Doesn't matter how well you trained your service monkey, it has no protection.

• Like 1

I don't believe that any foreign flagged ships are 'required' to maintain any ADA regulations (example onboard are numerous and easy to find, like widths of halls and cabins, crew quarters, etc.), just like no OSHA or Min Hourly Wage Rates.  So cruise lines just need to adopt what airlines have done, ask about formal training and name of training facility.  Then say no, just like airlines have done to stop ponies .  Yep, next there will be ponies onboard, kicking and running the halls.  Maybe there will be pony rides on pool deck.

1 hour ago, HHI Cruiser1 said:

I don't believe that any foreign flagged ships are 'required' to maintain any ADA regulations (example onboard are numerous and easy to find, like widths of halls and cabins, crew quarters, etc.), just like no OSHA or Min Hourly Wage Rates.  So cruise lines just need to adopt what airlines have done, ask about formal training and name of training facility.  Then say no, just like airlines have done to stop ponies .  Yep, next there will be ponies onboard, kicking and running the halls.  Maybe there will be pony rides on pool deck.

Well most lines are Foreign flagged

I thought it was those that sailed out of US  ports still had to abide by ADA rules ?

Here is the 6-3 US Supreme Court case from 2005: "Spector v. Norwegian Cruise Line Ltd., 545 U.S. 119 (2005), was a United States Supreme Court decision that determined (in a 6–3 decision) that the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) applies to foreign cruise ships in American waters."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spector_v._Norwegian_Cruise_Line_Ltd.

My daughter is blind, some of you have met her as we cruise together a few times per year.  She had a service dog for a few years when she was younger and was able to take her anywhere. 

It was getting so crazy on planes with all the fake service animals that people had all kinds of birds and reptiles on planes.  They finally cracked down when someone tried to bring a peacock on a United flight.  Now they do ask for certified proof of training for the animal and they verify.  The cruise lines do the same.  My daughter spent six weeks at a residential facility training with her dog before she was allowed to bring her home.  There are only a few facilities in the country that train guide dogs.

I imagine it’s the same for seizures, epilepsy etc.  The certification stopped all the fake service animals in a hurry.  If there is an animal on O, it is probably there for good reason.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, the more ports the better said:

My daughter is blind, some of you have met her as we cruise together a few times per year.  She had a service dog for a few years when she was younger and was able to take her anywhere. 

It was getting so crazy on planes with all the fake service animals that people had all kinds of birds and reptiles on planes.  They finally cracked down when someone tried to bring a peacock on a United flight.  Now they do ask for certified proof of training for the animal and they verify.  The cruise lines do the same.  My daughter spent six weeks at a residential facility training with her dog before she was allowed to bring her home.  There are only a few facilities in the country that train guide dogs.

I imagine it’s the same for seizures, epilepsy etc.  The certification stopped all the fake service animals in a hurry.  If there is an animal on O, it is probably there for good reason.

Although I understand about your daughter, the descriptions people provide about dogs being brought on strollers, allowed on furniture

They are not service dogs. As you well know service dogs wear vests, general lie right beside owner etc

I am glad your daughter can travel with you.

• Like 3

On 3/28/2023 at 3:08 PM, LHT28 said:

They usually have a grass pad  set up on the balcony or another part of the ship  for the dogs

On Hal they had a fire hydrant & the grass pads on the Promenade deck  for the pooches

Only service animals, but they would have to be allowed.

I agree, service dogs are very well trained and stick to their owners like glue.  They would never be jumping on a table.  A seizure dog may be in a stroller as some of them are little but, again, the dogs live with a trainer until the are 18 months old before they begin service training for a year.  They are very disciplined.

It’s crazy that people are getting away with bringing non service dogs on a cruise ships.  That just makes it more difficult for the people who really need them as they will be scrutinized even more.

I think I’ll leave my kitties home when I travel.  They don’t listen to anyone anyway and look at me like I’m a complete moron if I try to get them to do anything.

• Like 3

On 4/1/2023 at 8:39 AM, kibutzer said:

They are not service dogs. As you well know service dogs wear vests, general lie right beside owner etc

Well, not so much anymore.  The vests served a purpose in the past, when they quickly identified specially-trained service animals to hotels, restaurants, stores, etc.  Unfortunately, everyone who wanted Fluffy to go to Publix with them slapped a vest on her and dared anyone to challenge them.  They are now meaningless pieces of dog clothing.  Service dogs are not required to wear identifying vests and owners are not required to carry paperwork that proves the dog's training.  Right now, anyone can buy a "Service Animal" vest from Amazon or a pet-related store and, as I'm sure we all know, these same people would have no hesitation in lying about their dogs service training. 🤬

• Like 1

On 3/31/2023 at 11:58 AM, Yesimapirate said:

Why would the ADA apply to a foreign flagged ship unless it's departing from a US port?

On a slightly separate note, the ADA does not require a business to accommodate service "animals".  It requires you to accommodate service dogs and miniature horses.   That's it.  Doesn't matter how well you trained your service monkey, it has no protection.

Great  -- looks like my Veronica will be on our next cruise... small enough to fit in our Honda.

image veron.png

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Haha 5