That did it for me

Sky Sweet

We don't want to limit ourselves, we plan on trying out a lot of different lines.

However, we won't be sailing Carnival again, because we hated the cabin. We ended up calling it our camper shell. It was an older ship (Ecstacy) so pehaps I'm not being fair, but every time I look at Carnival pictures, I see the same ugly decor. The extreme cigarette smell and the overall decor of the ship (plastic, neon) really turned us off as well.

Once in a great while I'll mention Carnival to my husband, he says no way.

The funny thing is, I see written on these boards ( a lot) that Carnival has larger cabins and I think "who cares?".

Everything about carnival sucked, the service, the food, and the people.

Well.. I've had similar Celebrity sailings.. and I still sail them.

One cannot compare the Carnival of old.. with today's Carnival.

we had never cruised as a family before --- I had cruised as a kid decades earlier; my husband and our son (then 6 1/2) had never cruised.

it was dinner that sold us. Our waitperson team, Hector, a wonderful gentleman from Jamaica, and his assistant Mohammed --- they were awesome. My husband called it "the true five-star experience." And we loved the ship (Century). Anyway, we booked another cruise for just months later, and each time we have had such a great time, consistently, with a product we like and trust, that we don't want to risk spending thousands on an unknown quantity that we might NOT enjoy!

TR

Galaxy PC 4/1/06

Mercury AK 8/05, Millennium EC 12/04, Mercury CA-MX 4/04, Infinity AK 8/03, Century WC 3/03, Century EC 9/02

Kathy,

I remember going to the inaugural open house for the Ecstacy. I came off the ship thinking that you needed sunglasses to walk around the ship.

The one cruise line that I say Never Again! to is NCL. They can't pay me to go on one of their ships. I booked a low deck outside triple amd when we got to the ship, they had the gall to try to put us in an inside triple, a total downgrade!!!!!!! My husband went to get it straightened out and they gave us an outside triple on an upper deck.Good thing because there were 3 of us in the cabin: us and an 80 year old friend who we took to celebrate his birthday. They had the nerve to question why our TA never told us about the cabin switch. I made the actual booking as I was a TA at the time. Never, never again!

We have been impressed with Celebrity ever since our first cruise with them.

Anita

We did a 10 day Hawaiian Cruise on the NCL Sky about 6 years ago and we also said No NCL, never again. We do have a different reason - we did not like freestyle dining.

My husband hates to wait in line for anything and it seemed like every night no matter what time we went to dinner we had to stand in line. Eating at the same time everynight and having the same table mates for the whole cruise has worked out the best for us. We have made lots of friends thru the years, from our cruises and hope that we make more on our up coming

Hawaiin Cruise on the Summit.

For now we really like Celebrity and Holland America Cruise lines but other than NCL, won't say no to the other Cruise Lines if the Price and Itinary was right.

Vie Lee

So far, I've never met a cruise I didn't like. :) I've cruised on Disney(3X), Victoria, and NCL, and am booked for RCCI Splendour next month and Celebrity Infinity in June. I can't wait to try new ships! They're all different in their own way, but I've enjoyed each and every one.

We loved the Freestyle Dining on NCL, btw. I can't recall ever waiting in line to eat, and we had fun sharing a table with different couples every morning at breakfast. It was nice not having to rush to dress for diinner, since we could just show up at the dining room of choice when we wanted to.

I will say that due to the Carnival passengers I've met ashore at various places, I'd be dis-inclined to book a cruise on a Carnival ship. We met a family of chair hogs at Playa Mia who were quite loud and rude. I know they can't possibly be representative of all Carnival passengers, but it left me thinking "Not unless the cruise is free!" :D

Andrea

I don't know if I've had just one experience or a series of experiences...but Celebrity fits our lifestyle, our itineraries, and our pocketbook. Other cruiselines just didn't measure up...

Karyn

we are celebrity and Princess fans, but I can not say if the other cruise lines measure up or not, since we have not sailed them.

we will be going on our 1st RCL cruise (Baltics) in July. But you know what, I just bet that it will measure up:) and you know why, because we will be cruising:)

phil

we are celebrity and Princess fans, but I can not say if the other cruise lines measure up or not, since we have not sailed them.

we will be going on our 1st RCL cruise (Baltics) in July. But you know what, I just bet that it will measure up:) and you know why, because we will be cruising:)

phil

Phil, you're right...the best reason is....you'll be on that cruise! Looking forward to meeting you and Marti in 2 weeks!

Karyn

we will be going on our 1st RCL cruise (Baltics) in July. But you know what, I just bet that it will measure up and you know why, because we will be cruising ......:)

phil

Did you mean to finish that sentence with.... "with Bob and Garry?" ROFL.gif

Karyn, we're also about meeting you in TWO WEEKS!!!

Garry

Hi Karyn,

We sailed on Carnival before and while it wasn't our favorite ship ever I thought the service was great. I was definitily great for our teenage kids. There were lots of things to do and lots of "free" things to do. We were on the Carnival Imagination so I don't know where that fits in the old vs. new ships, but our room was OK for 4 people at the time (I had to sleep on top bunk).

Our waiter on that cruise was wonderful. He was "fun". I'm not a huge fan of Carnival, but if the right cruise came along for the right price I'd sure consider sailing with them again. I think every experience is different though.

Tom

I hate to say this, but I think the thing that is going to end up driving me away from my beloved Celebrity is that X simply doesn't want my business. No Caribbean sailings in the summer. There are at least 8 of us traveling together, and we certainly can't afford Europe or the Mediterranean (even if the cruise is reasonable, airfare for 8 is just too much). We have school-aged kids traveling with us, so it has to be summer. So since X seems to think this traveling demographic is no longer worthy of its service, we're looking elsewhere. Bummer.

And don't forget me! I'll see you all in two weeks, too!

The two cruise lines I prefer never to go on again are Carnavel and NCL. I had a VERY BAD experience on C and NCL lost me with the free style dining.

Gail, there will be big hugs for all!

Karyn (Karynanne)

We did a 10 day Hawaiian Cruise on the NCL Sky about 6 years ago and we also said No NCL, never again. We do have a different reason - we did not like freestyle dining.

My husband hates to wait in line for anything and it seemed like every night no matter what time we went to dinner we had to stand in line. Eating at the same time everynight and having the same table mates for the whole cruise has worked out the best for us. We have made lots of friends thru the years, from our cruises and hope that we make more on our up coming

Hawaiin Cruise on the Summit.

For now we really like Celebrity and Holland America Cruise lines but other than NCL, won't say no to the other Cruise Lines if the Price and Itinary was right.

Vie Lee

I think I am a bit confused. I have been a travel agent for almost 10 years and have to question some of your comments? First, when did the Sky do hawaii? The ship wasn't even part on NCL 6 years ago and to my knowledge never did Hawaii. They did change names less than 2 years ago and now cruise Hawaii under a totally different name. The first NCL ship to do Hawaii was the Star about 4 years ago. Yes, at the time freestyle was new and sometimes there were lines. No more. BTW the Star did 7, not 10 day cruises. Maybe I am totally off base, but I don't think so. NMNita

NEVER EVER, EVEN FOR FREE would I go on NCL!!! Freestyle, is awful. The food the service, everything. And if you love a really tiny cabin NCL is your line. I'm sticking with Celebrity a true class act.;)

Wow! Thanks for telling me. I thought I had 3 great cruises with Carnival but I guess I was wrong.

Gee, now I feel like an idiot.

I hate to say this, but I think the thing that is going to end up driving me away from my beloved Celebrity is that X simply doesn't want my business. No Caribbean sailings in the summer. There are at least 8 of us traveling together, and we certainly can't afford Europe or the Mediterranean (even if the cruise is reasonable, airfare for 8 is just too much). We have school-aged kids traveling with us, so it has to be summer. So since X seems to think this traveling demographic is no longer worthy of its service, we're looking elsewhere. Bummer.

I don't know how old your kids are but maybe you should try Royal Caribbeans Voyager class ships or the Freedom of the Seas.

I think the Crown Princess out of NY might be a good fit also if you can swing 9 days.

Whatever you choose next and wherever you go I hope it's great!:)

Bill

Archived