Hopewell Rocks worth is as excursion?

Kitty Ellas Mom

I am very curious about the Hopewell Rocks but the excursion involves 2 hrs on a bus each way, and I am aware that our short time on the excursion won't be long enough to see the complete dramatic changing of the tides.Ā  This is Caribbean Princess and late Sept.Ā  I am looking at tide tables. Overall this is just something I want to see but I don't know if I can handle 4 hrs on a bus.Ā  I've also read to expect that if I get to walk on the low tide area that it will be very mucky and my shoes might come off.Ā  If I go I will bring a pair of old beat up shoes for this purpose if I can fit them into the suitcase.Ā  I'm wondering if I should just do something easy at this port instead.Ā  It's a 10 day cruise with only one sea day and it's my first ever cruise.Ā  I plan to go into all the ports but could see myself ending up skipping one.Ā  I want a nice, relaxing vacation.Ā  I did already book this excursion but it's refundable until a few days before.

14 hours ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

I am very curious about the Hopewell Rocks but the excursion involves 2 hrs on a bus each way, and I am aware that our short time on the excursion won't be long enough to see the complete dramatic changing of the tides. * * * Overall this is just something I want to see but I don't know if I can handle 4 hrs on a bus. I've also read to expect that if I get to walk on the low tide area that it will be very mucky and my shoes might come off.

Visiting the Hopewell Rocks is a worthwhile endeavor, but difficult to appreciate when working around a cruise line timetable. The dramatic difference between the tides is something to be seen, but you may not have the time on a shore excursion. I had done the trip when traveling overland, staying over in Moncton, and could easily do a full-day excursion without the pressure of having to return to the vessel by a particular time. I would look closely at the tide schedule and the time allocated for this excursion to see if you'll be able to be there for high and low tides. I doubt that will be the case, for that reason I would probably give the Hopewell Rocks a pass, and instead suggest a separate visit when you're traveling overland. As for the travel time, I would not consider two hours each direction on a bus to be terribly exhaustive--many people spend that amount of time each on the bus each day commuting to and from work--but you're the best judge of that given your own experience in traveling around by bus where you live. I don't recall the Hopewell Rocks beach being any more mucky than other beaches over which ocean water might run. Don't wear your heels or dress shoes, and stay with the ordinary shoes or sneakers that you usually wear when going to the beach.

On 3/29/2023 at 2:55 PM, GTJ said:

Visiting the Hopewell Rocks is a worthwhile endeavor, but difficult to appreciate when working around a cruise line timetable.

I would agree with this statement an add that any visit to locations like this that are exposed to nature can always fluctuate as time passes. So if you see it in person or you don't that's ok unless its an absolute bucket list thing. I first went there in the 1960's with my parents, returned there in the 80's with my spouse, and if I returned there now as a solo I'm sure I would still appreciate it but only because I probably have forgotten what I saw there the first two times.šŸ™‚

• Like 1