Dress Code for YC dinners

sassycruiser

Hi

New to MSC and Yacht Club.  Mostly cruise with NCL which is very casual.   How dressed up do people get for YC dinners?  It appears that there is a formal night - do men wear suits?   We are fine with bringing suits, etc but if it’s not necessary would prefer not to.

Thank you.  

Sailing out of the US for Caribbean sailings dress in the YC Restaurant is largely country club casual. I’m avoiding the term ‘resort casual’ as shorts for dinner are not acceptable (sorry, you may see them, but they are not ‘suggested attire for dinner’).  You will however see folks who ‘dress’ for dinner. We do, but we are in a distinct minority. Formal night can be more dressy with at least jackets for gentleman. Depending on the itinerary I may bring my tux. There I will be a very distinct minority. If you have a higher ratio of Europeans on the cruise (mostly out of Miami or French Antilles) you will see a definite upping of the dominant dress.

Dennis

• Like 2

Ooh, I was just about to make some 🍿Popcorn to watch this show... 

To answer the OP's question - it's a free for all. There is a SUGGESTED dress code and it's up to the Maitre D' to enforce.  There are posters who insist (blah blah blah) that it's their vacation and they paid for it and they can wear shorts and flops to dinner, darn it, because how they dress shouldn't bother your enjoyment of your dinner.  In fact it does bother me because I generally feel like it's being done sometimes to have a showdown of sorts - "whatcha mean I can't wear what I want?" (voices escalating), "I paid to be here and I'll wear what I want, wanna try me?", etc...."  (However, I have seen plenty of men walk toward Le Muse on the Divina in shorts, accompanied by their butler, and be denied entrance.)

Then there are posters who believe in Ladies and Gentlemen acting like ladies and gentlemen.  For this we use the Country Club Attire guidelines.  No hats in dining room, no shorts for dinner, etc.  If you couldn't wear for dinner in a restaurant at a members only country club then you shouldn't be wearing it in the YC.  You want to insist on shorts and flops and a baseball cap - go to the MDR, the buffet, order room service or snack on the olives in Top Sail (kidding).

In short, jackets are NOT required for formal night. Collared shirt and trousers are perfectly appropriate, a tie is a nice touch that doesn't add weight to a suitcase.  A jacket is icing on the cake, but not necessary.  

• Like 7

There's the actual rules

and then

The rules that MSC enforce

and then

The rules that some passengers would like them to be, which generally fall into two camps of either stricter/more formal and the opposite.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

In our 2 YCs with 2 different dining room staff on 2 different ships (Meraviglia, Seashore), the only persons I saw turned away were a younger couple in bathing attire who clearly had come from the pool. They were literally dripping on the floor outside the dining room entry. 

Maître d' politely asked that they change as they would "make it impossible to dry the chairs for the next guests". They even offered to sit them on the pool deck and have their butler bring them clothes, or have their dining selection brought to their rooms. It was a nice move to maintain decorum and not make a scene. 

We are the "resort casual" folks - having lived in Bermuda for years, tailored shorts, collared shirt (and the occasional jacket) is considered dressed up. We dress the same as we would at any "white tablecloth" restaurant: no hats, no flip flops, no tank tops, no gym/pool-wear, and if we wear shorts they are tailored and long enough to cover the bits.

Oddly enough, as compared to NCL where they emphasize "freestyle cruising" but require long pants at some of their restaurants (though not specifically in the Haven), our experience is that you not be called out in the YC unless you are rude or disrespectful. 

Have a wonderful cruise! Warmest, Amy

• Like 2

Thank you Amy.

on our last NCL cruise in February our adult son was turned away from LeBistro on the first night because he was wearing knee length shorts and his luggage hadn’t arrived.  Rules are rules I guess.  We just left quietly and ate where we could.

We don’t normally wear shorts to any dinner.  We always take dress pants, nice shirts etc.  I just didn’t want to cause problems if we were out of dress code.

Having good manners always fits.  Like the old saying you are never fully dressed without a smile!   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

749cc13baca1d20dd08bfce099d967de--short-

^^ He would probably get into the Yacht Club for dinner. He might get turned away but I wouldn't be surprised if he was sitting at the table next to me. 

Shorts, hat, no socks......whatever. 😅

did he pass the grey poupon?

49 minutes ago, sassycruiser said:

on our last NCL cruise in February our adult son was turned away from LeBistro on the first night because he was wearing knee length shorts and his luggage hadn’t arrived.  Rules are rules I guess.  We just left quietly and ate where we could.

Usually, NCL will be Cruise Casual (shorts allowed) on the first night for that exact reason....

image.thumb.jpeg.e3233e54c4cd97a1027e4c2

"Embarkation day will be Cruise Casual in all restaurants."

Just got off the seascape 2 weeks ago, we were a group of 14. On gala night I wore jean pants and all other nights wore shorts, no problem at all. 

Each night the manager promptly came over and laughed with our table. 

Some people dress up, others don't... Regardless, they will not kick you out of the YC restaurant. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We would extend this to every meal when we cruise nowadays. "When you pay for a stay in a hotel, you also pay for the comfort, amenities, and services of a hotel, but it does not necessarily mean that you can do and act whatever you like and however you feel. There are hotel manners that you must take note of. Courtesy and respect beget the same, and knowing what to wear for breakfast in a hotel is a basic manner that makes a big difference. Most hotels establish a formality culture in dining for breakfast as a sign of respect and consideration for other guests and the staff. Unless your breakfast wear is as comparable to your smart-casual wear, that wouldn’t be a problem." https://thealcazar.com/what-to-wear-for-breakfast-in-a.../

• Like 2

https://tableagent.com/article/dressing-to-dine-dress-codes-defined/  you can understand why dress codes are sometimes suggested by eateries of a certain merit: they wish for their guests to experience the world they have created. You can savor the luxury of top-notch service best when you too look and feel first-rate. The essence of fine dining wants to take patrons out of their ordinary lives, and for two hours, allow them to bask in the extraordinary experience of their choice. To truly be apart of such a supreme culinary happening—one must look the part and one must dress to dine.

• Like 1

Not required BUT "Why you should always dress when you go out to eat. Yes, it still matters. By Sam Dangremond, Town & Country. John Winterman, who used to work for Daniel Boulud as maître d' at Daniel, and for Charlie Trotter before that, and asked if he thinks dressing up for dinner still matters."
"Absolutely," said Winterman, who's now managing partner at Batârd in New York City. "I break it down into self-respect and respect for others." Would someone's appearance affect the table they were assigned at, say, Daniel?
"On the record, yes," he said. "If someone comes in making an effort and looking fabulous and glamorous and they know they're in for a premium experience at a premium price, you give them a fabulous table in the middle of the room. And people react to that, when they see a crowd that's well-dressed and beautiful and sparkling."
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 3/29/2023 at 9:06 AM, Morgsmom said:

Ooh, I was just about to make some 🍿Popcorn to watch this show... 

To answer the OP's question - it's a free for all. There is a SUGGESTED dress code and it's up to the Maitre D' to enforce.  There are posters who insist (blah blah blah) that it's their vacation and they paid for it and they can wear shorts and flops to dinner, darn it, because how they dress shouldn't bother your enjoyment of your dinner.  In fact it does bother me because I generally feel like it's being done sometimes to have a showdown of sorts - "whatcha mean I can't wear what I want?" (voices escalating), "I paid to be here and I'll wear what I want, wanna try me?", etc...."  (However, I have seen plenty of men walk toward Le Muse on the Divina in shorts, accompanied by their butler, and be denied entrance.)

Then there are posters who believe in Ladies and Gentlemen acting like ladies and gentlemen.  For this we use the Country Club Attire guidelines.  No hats in dining room, no shorts for dinner, etc.  If you couldn't wear for dinner in a restaurant at a members only country club then you shouldn't be wearing it in the YC.  You want to insist on shorts and flops and a baseball cap - go to the MDR, the buffet, order room service or snack on the olives in Top Sail (kidding).

In short, jackets are NOT required for formal night. Collared shirt and trousers are perfectly appropriate, a tie is a nice touch that doesn't add weight to a suitcase.  A jacket is icing on the cake, but not necessary.  

Do you see anything other than I'm seeing regarding the rules as stated by MSC? The website says for evening wear it is suggested to adhere to a more polished look. In that they included tailored pants and shorts. Typically, I don't even bring long pants on any beach type vacation. If it's required, I'll participate. If it's merely other people's opinion, I'll stick to my nice button up shirt and khaki shorts. Can you clarify? 

40 minutes ago, ColbyBixby said:

Do you see anything other than I'm seeing regarding the rules as stated by MSC?

MSC is more "suggestion" than "rule". Certain things can be enforced but often times, even those things aren't enforced. 

43 minutes ago, ColbyBixby said:

If it's required, I'll participate. If it's merely other people's opinion, I'll stick to my nice button up shirt and khaki shorts. Can you clarify? 

The khaki shorts should be fine. MSC seems to make a distinction between shorts (think gym shorts) and shorts (khakis, cargo shorts, etc.).

In your case, I would suggest bringing a pair of pants just in case the Maître d' is strict on your particular sailing. The same Maître d' might allow shorts the following week. Who knows?

Have I seen gym shorts being worn in the Yacht Club for dinner? Yes. 

Is it possible that the same person wearing the same shorts might get turned away at the MDR on another MSC cruise? Yes. 

1 hour ago, ColbyBixby said:

Do you see anything other than I'm seeing regarding the rules as stated by MSC? The website says for evening wear it is suggested to adhere to a more polished look. In that they included tailored pants and shorts. Typically, I don't even bring long pants on any beach type vacation. If it's required, I'll participate. If it's merely other people's opinion, I'll stick to my nice button up shirt and khaki shorts. Can you clarify? 

I have seen men refused from YC at dinner for shorts.  But i have also seen thugs with baseball caps allowed.  🤷🏼‍♀️ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Definition of terms, please.  

hum... let's go with hooligan 🙂, but I'm talking basketball shorts hiked so low as to see the waist logo on the "under britches", tank top, backwards ball cap... that whole thing.  (Seashore and Meraviglia)  However, on the Divina have also witnessed a gent in linen dress shorts being turned away to go change at dinner.