Dress Code for YC dinners

sassycruiser

Last night was ‘formal’ night / gala night on Divina.  In Le Muse we saw everything from men in tuxedos to one gentleman in shorts, t-shirt, and a ball cap, and everything in between. 

About half the gentlemen were wearing a sports coat others of us wore dress shirts and slacks.  There were a few ties seen but not in the majority.

16 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

But i have also seen thugs with baseball caps allowed.  🤷🏼‍♀️ 

14 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Definition of terms, please.  

34 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

hum... let's go with hooligan

"Thug" and "hooligan" are generally used to describe someone based on their behavior, not on their appearance. It's akin to seeing a woman who is wearing a short skirt and calling her a prostitute. 

• Like 3

"People do not respond to reality; they respond to their perceptions of reality, formed through the signals they receive. Our results support this idea and signaling theory, as they show that attire style acts as a signal that, directly and indirectly, impacts perceptions of ethicality (Some common synonyms of ethical are moral, noble, righteous, and virtuous. While all these words mean "conforming to a standard of what is right and good," ethical may suggest the involvement of more difficult or subtle questions of rightness, fairness, or equity.). Specifically, we found that participants perceived business casual as a “happy medium,” as they rated this attire style as more ethical compared to casual attire, and they mentioned only positive attributes related to this style. However, positive and negative attributes surrounded both casual and business formal attire styles. Furthermore, these perceptions were mediated by attire appropriateness."

I thought this was interesting.

"In a very practical and poignant example that exemplifies the role of attire in creating perceptions of ethicality, one participant shared a story of when she was in a training session. At the training, everyone was shown a picture of two people, where one was dressed nicely in a suit and the other one was not, and they were asked who they would trust more. The person in the suit was viewed as more trustworthy; however, the catch was that he was Ted Bundy, and the other person was an Ivy League school graduate and lieutenant governor of Pennsylvania. Examples such as this demonstrate that an attire-driven halo effect indeed plays an important role in creating perceptions of ethicality."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9918841/

P.S. perhaps this "hooligan" is the ruler of Rhûnlandor ?

Edited by morpheusofthesea
ps

Dress matters as does etiquette and both of these are slowly being eroded - especially in the US.  It's all about comfort and ease - bordering on laziness.  Personally, I don't want to dress up for a nice dinner with my DW and see a grown man's feet and pot belly bursting out from a t-shirt.  Have some respect for yourself and others.

• Like 10

On 2/19/2024 at 5:40 PM, dcrambler said:

Dress matters as does etiquette and both of these are slowly being eroded ...

So my lobster tail tasted terrible because the person at the next table was in a ball cap which he refused to remove?

I wear a uniform at work and even when I volunteer so I don't want to wear one on vacation. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/18/2024 at 5:43 PM, Morgsmom said:

I have seen men refused from YC at dinner for shorts.  But i have also seen thugs with baseball caps allowed.  🤷🏼‍♀️ 

Celebrity is like that depending on staff that night .

10 hours ago, Brighton Line said:

So my lobster tail tasted terrible because the person at the next table was in a ball cap which he refused to remove?

I wear a uniform at work and even when I volunteer so I don't want to wear one on vacation. 

My rule...be neat, be clean...and dress like a grown-up.

• Like 7