Dropping off luggage early?

Hello friends! I am cruising for the first time on RCI in April on the Symphony of the Seas, departing from Barcelona. I will get to the port by Airport Transfer around 11am. I would like to drop my checked bag at the ship, so that I can take the 3 or so hours just to do some quick sightseeing. Is this possible? (My check in is 3:30-4pm). I have tried looking around the net for answers but would love to know if any of you have had this experience. Thank you! 

Edited by Carkebe

Yes, you just take checked bags up to the porters at the curb and drop it at any time from about 10:00 a.m..  It is a bit of a walk nack over teh bridge into town...with limited time you would probably be best to grab a taxi after you drop your bag, if you are able to do so.

Assuming the various terminals are similar, it would be very easy to do.  The bag drop is outside before you enter the terminal.  I think it too far to walk, but there should be plenty of taxi's doing passenger drop-offs that can get you back to the city center.  

Be aware --  Barcelona has world class pickpockets.    

23 minutes ago, xxHadleyxx said:

you would probably be best to grab a taxi after you drop your bag, if you are able to do so.

Yes absolutely, that was the plan as long as we could drop the bags! Thank you!

(Thank you too Swoopy!)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Be aware --  Barcelona has world class pickpockets.    

I was raised by actual thieves so I'm pretty sure I could pickpocket them at this point! 😎

(In all seriousness only raised, I never picked up the habit LOL)

• Like 1

Like most ports, dropping your bags off is a separate part of the embarkation process done off to the side of the terminal entrance somewhere.  You can drop them off and then go wherever you like.  

My parents and I planned to do the same thing upon arrival in Barcelona.  But when it came time to do it after the overnight flight from the states, we chose to just go ahead and check in and get on the ship.  It was hot and muggy in July, so we felt very icky and just wanted to relax.  We had a full day to sightsee in Barcelona on the back end of the cruise, so that made it better.

1 minute ago, MeHeartCruising said:

Like most ports, dropping your bags off is a separate part of the embarkation process done off to the side of the terminal entrance somewhere.  You can drop them off and then go wherever you like.  

My parents and I planned to do the same thing upon arrival in Barcelona.  But when it came time to do it after the overnight flight from the states, we chose to just go ahead and check in and get on the ship.  It was hot and muggy in July, so we felt very icky and just wanted to relax.  We had a full day to sightsee in Barcelona on the back end of the cruise, so that made it better.

Getting right on the ship was the plan until the airline changed our flights and we are stuck arriving on the day of the cruise, and returning home right after debarkation. 😞 We had planned a full day before and a full day after the cruise, originally.

Thank you for the insight! ❤️ 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carkebe said:

I was raised by actual thieves so I'm pretty sure I could pickpocket them at this point! 😎

(In all seriousness only raised, I never picked up the habit LOL)

Your high level of awareness will be helpful as you need to carry your passport.  You will also need to think about what other items you will take your short tour vs check with your luggage.  Medication, valuables, electronics and such generally should stay with you rather than in the checked luggage, though you don’t want to be overburdened on your tour.  

36 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Your high level of awareness will be helpful as you need to carry your passport.  You will also need to think about what other items you will take your short tour vs check with your luggage.  Medication, valuables, electronics and such generally should stay with you rather than in the checked luggage, though you don’t want to be overburdened on your tour.  

I carry my money/passport in a chest money belt so I'm fine there. I typically travel light and usually only with a carry on, but I'm traveling with a friend this time. I don't wear jewelry or have any electronics other than my cellphone so as long as I don't lose that I'm golden. LOL

• Like 1