conflicting information on yacht club deposit information

ginger123snaps

When we were onboard Seascape we were told by the future cruise booking person that you could make a deposit for the yacht club and move it if you change your mind to another cruise in the future.  When I called to booked a yacht club cruise the MSC agent told me that the only way you don't lose your deposit is if you book within 90 days of the original sail date.  Meaning if I book a cruise for Jan 1 2023 and decide to move it....I can only move it to a cruise within 90 days of this date and not lose my yacht club deposit.  Has anybody moved their sail date further out and lost their deposit?

There are recent posts about the non refundable deposits in YC. And the one free cruise change is limited in timeframe as you were told. The future cruise desk booking may be handled differently than calling to book.

Yacht Club deposits are non-refundable.  What you are being told is the One Free Cruise Change policy for Fantastica and above experiences. 

1 free cruise change

* The free cruise change is applicable either on the cruise dates or on the destination. Such change needs to be performed up to 1 month before departure, for a new cruise to sail within 3 months from the original departure. Any cruise change shall be requested through our contact center.

Any change outside these parameters would be considered a cancellation and you'd lose your YC deposit.

Edited by Até

I just changed my October 2023 to September 2024.  It is the exact same cruise, only a year later.  At first, my TA was told that it was non-refundable, and the one change for YC bookings was to be booked on another cruise departing in 90 days.  I then called MSC and spoke to a very nice agent who said nothing could be done.  I explained that I had to cancel due to surgery, and by the time I was ready to sail, the 90 days would be up.  I said I wanted to book the same cruise only in 2024 when I could medically go.  She said she would check with a supervisor, and I was on hold for about 30 minutes.  She finally returned and said that transferring the deposit over to my 2024 cruise was approved.  She noted the record, and my TA called and officially asked that my deposit be transferred.  I don't know if I was allowed to transfer because it was medical and I offered to have my surgeon write a letter or because I was so insistent that I wanted to go.

30 minutes ago, Nashna said:

I just changed my October 2023 to September 2024.  It is the exact same cruise, only a year later.  At first, my TA was told that it was non-refundable, and the one change for YC bookings was to be booked on another cruise departing in 90 days.  I then called MSC and spoke to a very nice agent who said nothing could be done.  I explained that I had to cancel due to surgery, and by the time I was ready to sail, the 90 days would be up.  I said I wanted to book the same cruise only in 2024 when I could medically go.  She said she would check with a supervisor, and I was on hold for about 30 minutes.  She finally returned and said that transferring the deposit over to my 2024 cruise was approved.  She noted the record, and my TA called and officially asked that my deposit be transferred.  I don't know if I was allowed to transfer because it was medical and I offered to have my surgeon write a letter or because I was so insistent that I wanted to go.

Definitely a medical transfer exception! YC deposits are not refundable-so they transferred it. IF you dont sail on the next booking you will lose it.

• Like 1

I was pleased that they extended it once.  I advise anyone who needs to cancel to be persistent.  Another of my arguments to MSC was that I wanted to go on their itinerary, but if I did not have the deposit funds extended, I might choose another cruise line for my Canada/New England trip.  It doesn't make business sense to alienate a client who wishes to spend $8600.00 on a trip for $398.00.  If there is some reason that I can't take the 2024 trip, I would not expect MSC to extend the deposit funds again.

• Like 1