Shuttle from Salaverry Port to Trujillo??

Btimmer

Can anyone shed light on whether there is a shuttle between the Port of Salaverry and Trujillo and its approximate cost?  The HAL shore excursions doesn't show one.  We'll be there on the Zaandam this coming October, 2023 and I'm trying to arrange for a shore excursion that currently departs from downtown Trujillo and they want $73/person for a shuttle to / from the port.

Thanks in advance for any information.

I've been to Salaverry twice, once to pick up a flight from Trujillo to Lima and on to Cuzco(Macchu P.)

and once to do a tour to the Chan Chan ruins and the old fishing boats. I don't think there was a shuttle.Salaverry is just a pile of sand. I would recommend to do the Chan Chan tour it is really good.

• Like 2

On a 30-day round trip from San Diego to Lima in 2019, on the Volendam, we had a stop in Salaverry, and HAL provided a free shuttle service to Trujillo, which I recall was about twenty (maybe closer to thirty) minutes away. We didn't take any excursions; we simply walked around Trujillo for an hour or two and then took the shuttle back to the ship. As @Sir PMPsays, there's nothing in Salaverry. Trujillo was "rough," but kind of interesting, but I wouldn't pay $73 pp for a shuttle just to go there, unless it was to hook up with a really good tour somewhere.

• Thanks 1

Gateway port to many incredible pre-Columbian civilization archeological sites: Chan Chan as mentioned, as well as monumental Moche sites.

Don't sell this port short, if you have any interest at all in the incredible layers  of pre-Incan civilizations that thrived for eons in this area. One after another,

• Like 1

We're looking forward to the port stop as my wife is into Incan and pre-Incan civilizations and we have a terrific shore excursion planned.  I'm just looking for current confirmation about a shuttle from the port to Trujillo.  I've not found any current information and HAL doesn't yet show a shuttle on the the shore excursions for this day.

• Like 1

Don't know if you have already explored the Great Courses offering on early South American history, but this was one of our own favorites.

https://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/lost-worlds-of-south-america

We had to watch it several times,  just sort out the new names of prior civilizations and their timelines. This had been an unexplored knowledge area for us before we started cruising into this area.  

We were left dazzled by what we learned, and even more by how little we had known about the sophistication of the prior civilizations, that got their start in this narrow strip of land between the Andes and the Pacific Ocean. 

We had a fairly shallow history about the Aztecs, Mayas and Incas, primarily from our school years, but nothing much before that. The Olmec, the mysterious Nazca lines - all more sensationalized smatterings but without any real context.  Had never even heard of the Chan Chan or Moche.

We are signed up for the modest annual subscription rate for streaming Great Courses - Wondrium - through Roku. For us, that has to be the biggest bargain in life long learning we have found anywhere. Their range of courses are now always part of any pre-cruise planning. 

Hope you have a wonderful time exploring this rich area and looking forward to your report when you get back - all part of the many surprises when taking those long South Africa cruises, that go well beyond the more obvious and popular must see Machu Picchu.

• Thanks 1

We stopped here and unfortunately the archeological sites were closed due to a national holiday. No shuttle was offered.  For exercise we walked the entire town, really it is not much but interesting in its remoteness.  Not the worst port I have been to.  

that entire 30 day cruise was fraught with cancellations due to civil holidays/elections/unrest.   That is South America. 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1