Air/Sea option back from Anchorage to Portland

quack1

I'm new to the idea of having the cruise line book your air itinerary.  As you may know, there are some pretty awful departure times out of Anchorage (back to Portland).  How much control, if any, do I have over the itinerary.  I'd rather not depart Anchorage at 3:00 a.m.  Can I pay up for a decent departure?

Edited by quack1
clarification

25 minutes ago, quack1 said:

I'm new to the idea of having the cruise line book your air itinerary.  As you may know, there are some pretty awful departure times out of Anchorage (back to Portland).  How much control, if any, do I have over the itinerary.  I'd rather not depart Anchorage at 3:00 a.m.  Can I pay up for a decent departure?

No, you cannot pay more for a decent departure.  When you do the NCL air to get a lower fare than booking yourself, you get what they book you. If you want to be in control, then book the airfare yourself and pick the flights that work for you. There are many stories on CC of bad flights but some also have good luck with the flights.  It's a crap shoot.

And are there really flights that leave Anchorage at 3am?  

39 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

No, you cannot pay more for a decent departure.  When you do the NCL air to get a lower fare than booking yourself, you get what they book you. If you want to be in control, then book the airfare yourself and pick the flights that work for you. There are many stories on CC of bad flights but some also have good luck with the flights.  It's a crap shoot.

And are there really flights that leave Anchorage at 3am?  

Yes, most flights from Anchorage leave after midnight regardless of the airline.

3 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Yes, most flights from Anchorage leave after midnight regardless of the airline.

Alaska Airlines has a 3pm, 4pm, 5pm, 7:30pm and 9:30pm flight from Anchorage to Portland. Not cheap and not direct but I would pick and pay for one of those if I didn't want to leave at 3am (which I also saw...learn something new everyday).

44 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Nope, not true, there are plenty of daytime flights. We arrive in ANC by Alaska Air just after noon and will depart ANC at 15:55. 

8 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Nope, not true, there are plenty of daytime flights. We arrive in ANC by Alaska Air just after noon and will depart ANC at 15:55. 

Are you flying to Portland?

2 hours ago, quack1 said:

Where do you live?  I'm going the opposite direction so will fly to Anchorage - but I actually chose the Seward to Vancouver route after factoring in the transportation logistics. I fly from Eugene - and it looks like there may be better flight possibilities from there if Eugene is an option for you.

3 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

I just re-checked Priceline, options given:

Alaska  11:50 P.M.

Alaska    2:56 A.M.

Alaska   11:59 P.M.

Delta     12:55 A.M.

None are none stop.  Layover in Seattle

I saw one flight that goes to LAX (LA), layover and then on to Portland

Yes, there are daytime flights from Anchorage to Seattle/Portland.  The question is will Norwegian's Air/Sea program put me on an after-midnight flight to save a few bucks.  That's my question.

Edited by quack1
typo

10 minutes ago, quack1 said:

Yes, there are daytime flights from Anchorage to Seattle/Portland.  The question is will Norwegian's Air/Sea program put me on an after-midnight flight to save a few bucks.  That's my question.

Yes, if you book the Second Person Flies Free (BOGO) deal, NCL will put you on a terrible flight time if that is the cheapest flight that meets their requirements of no more than one layover for flights on the same coast or it meets their arrival/departure time criteria for embarkation/debarkation.  If you add a day before or after the cruise, then you get better times.

I just booked the cruise.  Opted out of the Air/Sea fare.  It would have saved a couple of hundred bucks but I would be giving up itinerary control, including seat assignments.  As I get older, my tolerance for randomness in my travel plans goes down rapidly.

• Like 1