Catholic Mass

Quinte Girl

I have mentioned this on every one of my surveys.  I urge everyone who feels it is important to them to have Mass celebrated on the ship to included on your end of cruise survey.

It is the only way that they will be the message that it is important to those who feel this is important. An interdemoninational service does not cut it.

Terri

• Like 1

W

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

I have mentioned this on every one of my surveys.  I urge everyone who feels it is important to them to have Mass celebrated on the ship to included on your end of cruise survey.

It is the only way that they will be the message that it is important to those who feel this is important. An interdemoninational service does not cut it.

Terri

They would have to  a pay a Priest  to be  onboard the ships

Then a Minister,  a Rabbi, an Imam  Etc..

16 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Terri

There's an apostolate (I forget the name offhand) that maintains a website where you can check which cruises will have a Catholic chaplain on board. It used to be that HAL always had one. We had one on our honeymoon cruise and that was fantastic, they even had daily mass in a beautiful chapel. I'm planning to go to mass in Nagasaki next week since we'll be there in port on a Sunday, but it sure would be nice to have a priest on board.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, LHT28 said:

W

They would have to  a pay a Priest  to be  onboard the ships

Then a Minister,  a Rabbi, an Imam  Etc..

From the Apostleship of the Sea:

The priest receives his room and basic meals courtesy of the cruise line. However, he also pays gratuities, purchases excursions, and buys items onboard. On average, most priests spend $1,000 or more onboard each cruise

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

From the Apostleship of the Sea:

The priest receives his room and basic meals courtesy of the cruise line. However, he also pays gratuities, purchases excursions, and buys items onboard. On average, most priests spend $1,000 or more onboard each cruise

Well I guess you just need to find out  what Oceania cruise  the Priest on 🤔

While i understand that we all have a choice in the cruise companies we choose, some of us feel that their cruising experience would be enhanced if there would be religious personnel on the ships. I, for one, found this very comforting when I sailed on HAL.  For various reasons we felt that HAL no longer was a good fit for us.  Whenever we are in port on Sundays we seek out a Catholic Church to attend Mass.  However, that is not always possible and the presence of an ordained minister would only serve to enhance our cruising experience.  @LHT28 I see nothing numerous about that.

The Apostleship of the Seas not only provides Catholic Priests, but Rabbis and Protestant Ministers for Cruise Ships.  You would learn quite a bit if you read about their work on its website and the duties of religious personnel while serving on a cruise ship.

@pinotlover those who serve on cruise ships do so on a purely voluntary basis and most are retired or do so while taking their vacation. Thus it would not impinge on the areas where there are shortage of priests, rabbis or ministers.  i urge you to go to the website and read about this important ministry as well.

For those interested, it is www.aos-usa.org. 

29 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

.  @LHT28 I see nothing numerous about that.

I find it humourous that you think Oceania  would  give free cabins away  when they are trying to make a profit & cutting other things  to do so

YMMV

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I find it humourous that you think Oceania  would  give free cabins away  when they are trying to make a profit & cutting other things  to do so

YMMV

Well it is interesting that NCL has a priest for Christmas and Easter. Why not Oceania?

I was on another cruise line where a married Catholic deacon did a Communion service. He had to get permission of the local bishop to do this. It was very meaningful.

A Catholic deacon or someone with appropriate training could lead a service if the ship is at sea on both Saturday evening and Sunday. I'm not sure who you check with but I believe you could get it listed in Currents. Attending Mass in a local Church can be quite inspiring, even with the language challenges.

Mary

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, azam71209 said:

I was on another cruise line where a married Catholic deacon did a Communion service. He had to get permission of the local bishop to do this. It was very meaningful.

A Catholic deacon or someone with appropriate training could lead a service if the ship is at sea on both Saturday evening and Sunday. I'm not sure who you check with but I believe you could get it listed in Currents. Attending Mass in a local Church can be quite inspiring, even with the language challenges.

Mary

I agree that a Deacon, if he is willing could do a communion service.  At least it is something. Going to Mass in port is always a choice if it is a port day on a Sunday or we are in port late on a Saturday.  That is not always the case.  

20 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

"I agree that a Deacon, if he is willing could do a communion service."

Not without special preparation, well before the cruise.

Deacons cannot consecrate the Eucharist. That sacrament is reserved to priests in good standing.

Accordingly, a deacon would need to plan ahead and receive ecclesiastic permission to transport a quantity of consecrated Eucharist, which would require reverential packaging and transport.

Hopefully, at any given time, there are a few vacationing deacons who have undertaken this service, for the spiritual benefit of Catholics they may meet on a cruise.

A Blessed Easter to all!