Finally, a New Mediterranean Itinerary!

lackcreativity

I am looking forward to seeing Gibraltar for the first (and possibly the last) time.

I am interested  to actually see a place where so much European history was made from the the Moors to  the Napoleonic era and through to its vital importance in WW2.

I was interested to see Algiers but wasn’t keen on many things there including the accompanying police presence both in uniform and plain clothes.

I hope Viking have managed to improve the state of the busses and managed to get the windows cleaned.  Many complaints from fellow guests about the city tours.

Our female guide was lovely but unable or unwilling to talk about politics or the role of women in society but I did learn about the  brutally of their war with the French.

35 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

I am looking forward to seeing Gibraltar for the first (and possibly the last) time.

I am interested  to actually see a place where so much European history was made from the the Moors to  the Napoleonic era and through to its vital importance in WW2.

I was interested to see Algiers but wasn’t keen on many things there including the accompanying police presence both in uniform and plain clothes.

I hope Viking have managed to improve the state of the busses and managed to get the windows cleaned.  Many complaints from fellow guests about the city tours.

Our female guide was lovely but unable or unwilling to talk about politics or the role of women in society but I did learn about the  brutally of their war with the French.

I was fairly interested in the new Barcelona round trip, despite having been to most of the ports several times before (mostly on cruises from UK).  Had it been over the Christmas and New Year period, I would definitely have jumped at the chance.  

Gibraltar is OK the first time you go!  Walk up to the Trafalgar Cemetery - there are some interesting grave stones there, though not many from the actual battle.  We enjoyed walking across the airport runway too, but it was quite a few years ago... maybe they won't allow that now!

• Like 1

We have tried two times (2017 and 2018) with Viking to get to Tunisia but never made it. Both times it was cancelled for security reasons. Algeria was also on the itinerary and we made it there once.

Algeria requires an expensive visa if you are going to wonder around on your own -- and there isn't much to see within walking distance of the pier. Without a visa of your own, you are limited to the ship's tours.

We did the included bus tour. It was lackluster but we did have our picture taken with a local family who were visiting the same landmark as were were.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2023 at 7:35 PM, lackcreativity said:

Thank you, Viking!! I have been watching (even begging!) for this for ages.

Malta, Morocco & the Mediterranean - Roundtrip Barcelona - Cruise Overview (vikingcruises.com)

For my money, just a perfect mix of brand new ports and old favorites, with an overnight in Valetta. We will be there!

Thanks for calling attention to this new itinerary. We've booked it for February 2025.

On 4/9/2023 at 12:11 PM, Jammy Bun said:

We enjoyed walking across the airport runway too, but it was quite a few years ago... maybe they won't allow that now!

Can still walk across the runway - have to for the border. Visiting there in a few weeks time on another cruise, second visit to spend time there but have flown in and out a few times when visiting Andalusia,

• Like 1

On 4/7/2023 at 7:35 PM, lackcreativity said:

Thank you, Viking!! I have been watching (even begging!) for this for ages.

Malta, Morocco & the Mediterranean - Roundtrip Barcelona - Cruise Overview (vikingcruises.com)

For my money, just a perfect mix of brand new ports and old favorites, with an overnight in Valetta. We will be there!

I agree with Valetta!  We have been wanting to visit there for a while.  An overnight would be perfect.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruisinchrissy said:

We will miss you by a month 🥲We’re on the March sailing. 

Darn the luck! Hope to share another voyage with you some time!

Edited by JDincalif
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

We booked this cruise for December 19 2024.  It includes Christmas in Val and New Years eve and day in Seville and Granada.  Now we're wondering we made a mistake - we found out that Alhambra is closed on New Years day - a big disappointment. Is everything closed on those holidays?

1 hour ago, brosen1 said:

We booked this cruise for December 19 2024.  It includes Christmas in Val and New Years eve and day in Seville and Granada.  Now we're wondering we made a mistake - we found out that Alhambra is closed on New Years day - a big disappointment. Is everything closed on those holidays?

Bars and restaurants will be open and busy. Most museums and tourist attraction are closed on Christmas and New Year's day.  In Spain, the ship will be docked in Cadiz and Malaga, with Sevilla and Granada (both inland cities) being an hour or so drive away.  Sevilla will be open for business on NYE but Granada will be closed on Jan 1. 

IMHO, as much as I love Granada, there is plenty to see  (but not visit) in wandering distance of the Viking shuttle in Malaga, which will also be warmer than Granada (which is nestled in the Sierra Nevada).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have booked the Dec 19 cruise and are excited to see that part of the world. Looking forward to a super relaxing time and time away from the families on Christmas day. Does anyone know if Viking has a special Christmas concerts on ship.  That would be nice.

Lovetosew - I set up a Viking Vela roll call "Malta, Morocco & the Mediterranean December 19, 2024". So far only two of us there, but if we get enough people on the roll call we might be able to get Viking to host a Meet and Mingle get together.

On 4/8/2023 at 10:34 PM, longterm said:

Actually, no... we're headed to Italy on a Rick Steves tour in May, on the Viking Grand European river cruise in October, and Cancun in December... and a few US trips thrown in for good measure! 

We haven't tried a cruise yet that has lots of sea days; maybe we'd like it, but since I'm regularly unimpressed with the musicians I hear on Viking cruises, and since we barely drink, we just don't know how we'd find enough to do on board. We are both voracious readers, but we can do that anywhere.

I've been tempted to book an Atlantic crossing, but am not getting much interest from my sweet wife in such a trip.

Avid readers? You would probably love The Literature Festival @ Sea on Cunards Queen Mary 2, a 7 night transatlantic crossing... usually November time.

1 hour ago, norahs-lot said:

Avid readers? You would probably love The Literature Festival @ Sea on Cunards Queen Mary 2, a 7 night transatlantic crossing... usually November time.

I'm afraid Cunard isn't our style... we're way too casual for it. I've watched videos showing the Cunard crossings, and we both feel that it's not quite our thing. 

25 minutes ago, longterm said:

I'm afraid Cunard isn't our style... we're way too casual for it. I've watched videos showing the Cunard crossings, and we both feel that it's not quite our thing. 

Yes... I do get where you’re coming from. We wouldn’t sail Cunard again but thoroughly enjoyed the Literature Festival... some great guest speakers.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, norahs-lot said:

Yes... I do get where you’re coming from. We wouldn’t sail Cunard again but thoroughly enjoyed the Literature Festival... some great guest speakers.

We would really enjoy the speakers; I have yet to talk my wife into a TA crossing, but we may try one in a couple of years... 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, longterm said:

We would really enjoy the speakers; I have yet to talk my wife into a TA crossing, but we may try one in a couple of years... 

If you do, take the Columbus route (Southern route - (i.e. Barcelona, Madeira, etc to San Juan)) and not the Mid-Atlantic route (visiting Azores and Bermuda). We've done both and the chances of foul weather increase the further north your route goes.

Our experience was that there were a much larger number of lecturers, classes, and overall activities scheduled - which made the trips delightful!

• Like 2

I have a listing for Feb 26 for this Med cruise, anything before appeared to be unavailable for us Antipodeans. Not super excited about the possibility of rather average-cold weather at that time of year, but a date is a date.

We look at this sort of itinerary as a chance to got to places that I probably would not go to by any other means.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BravoTango said:

I have a listing for Feb 26 for this Med cruise, anything before appeared to be unavailable for us Antipodeans.

I just checked the Viking US website --

There are only two sailings prior to the Feb 22, 2025 --  Nov 16, 2024 has one PS3 left. Dec 1 has one DV2 left -- and that is only if the data on the website is up to date. I also believe that these are the first two sailings of the itinerary.

Or, do you mean Feb, 2026? In which case, never mind.

BTW, my sister and I, and our respective DH, are booked for January 19, 2026 and the roll call is up and running: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2985821-january-19-2026-malta-morocco-the-mediterranean/

Edited by Peregrina651

On 4/9/2023 at 6:27 AM, Mrs Miggins said:

Regarding Gibralter, when they tell you not to feed or touch the apes, believe them. One member of our group (not Viking) did not heed that advice, got bitten, was hospitalized, and had to leave the tour.

24 minutes ago, KathyA said:

Regarding Gibralter, when they tell you not to feed or touch the apes, believe them. One member of our group (not Viking) did not heed that advice, got bitten, was hospitalized, and had to leave the tour.

Fortunately (or unfortunately), Viking does not have excursions to Gibraltar. Anyone who wants to go there is going to have look for an independent tour. Heads up, if this is your plan, there might be border issues and you will definitely need to carry your passport with you.

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Fortunately (or unfortunately), Viking does not have excursions to Gibraltar. Anyone who wants to go there is going to have look for an independent tour. Heads up, if this is your plan, there might be border issues and you will definitely need to carry your passport with you.

Unless you are like us, when our Viking cruise had Casablanca cancelled, so we went to Gibraltar instead (on the Viking Sea).  We had a couple excursions.  And yes, the monkeys were amazing, and very forward.   Enjoyed Gibraltar very much - fantastic little place!

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 12:14 PM, lovetosew said:

We have booked the Dec 19 cruise and are excited to see that part of the world. Looking forward to a super relaxing time and time away from the families on Christmas day. Does anyone know if Viking has a special Christmas concerts on ship.  That would be nice.

I have been on Viking Cruises for the past two Christmases, 2022 in the Mediterranean and 2023 in the Caribbean. In 2022 they did a nice caroling singalong in the Atrium on Christmas Eve, and in 2023 had a special Christmas Eve show called “A very Viking Christmas”, featuring all the various vocalists and musicians performing Christmas classics. It was a hit with the passengers, so I think they’ll carry it over to this year.

I too will be on the Dec 19 cruise, so I sure hope they do so!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Not sure I understand this.  Friend is on one of these cruises and apparently ship only sails through the Straits of Gibraltar but does not stop.  Actually I think this is a missed opportunity.  Many on our Azamara cruise especially enjoyed the WW2 tunnels.

One of the many highlights on that cruise was Seville.  Absolutely wonderful.  We sailed up the Guadalquivir River and docked for an overnight right in the heart of the city.