In Search of the Northern Lights--2025?

GenXer

Hi all,

I have a Viking ocean cruises catalog in hand that lists Jan-Mar 2025 itineraries for the "In Search of the Northern Lights" sailing, but I'm unable to see these dates on the website. Does anyone know if this means they are sold out? Or have they just not been announced yet?

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, GenXer said:

Hi all,

I have a Viking ocean cruises catalog in hand that lists Jan-Mar 2025 itineraries for the "In Search of the Northern Lights" sailing, but I'm unable to see these dates on the website. Does anyone know if this means they are sold out? Or have they just not been announced yet?

Thanks!

Interesting - you're quite correct. Scandinavia and N. Europe trips are greyed out for that period.

I have no inside knowledge, but given that the 2024 trips are far from sold out, I'd speculate that Viking may be doing some retooling of the cruise. It has suffered from some port misses in the past due to weather (even apart from the Sky's accident)  - not a surprise in that part of the world in the dead of winter! 🍺🥌

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

I thought Norway was banning ships except electric in a few years. 

If memory is correct, only zero-emissions ships will be permitted in fjords that have UNESCO World Heritage Site designations, but only from 2026. Since OP is requesting info on departures in early 2025, the bans will not yet be in effect. 

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The use of hydrogen on board is zero-emission, but the actual production of the hydrogen possibly not.

Actually hydrogen combustion emits water vapor and warm air.  Zero carbon.  But, as you say, production of hydrogen can be rather dirty.  BMW is working on hydrogen powered cars and extracting hydrogen from the air.  Don't have a clue how they do it but will the LA freeway full of millions of hydrogen fueled cars have the unintended consequences of raising humidity levels a bunch?  Everything new has some unintended consequences.  🥃

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

We are booked on the January 10, 2025 In Search of the Northern Lights cruise from London to Bergen on the Vela which I understand will go into service late in 2024.    We've never sailed on Viking, but this itinerary looked very appealing to us.    I'd be very interested to hear from those who have experience this or a similar itinerary.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lazonia said:

We are booked on the January 10, 2025 In Search of the Northern Lights cruise from London to Bergen on the Vela which I understand will go into service late in 2024.    We've never sailed on Viking, but this itinerary looked very appealing to us.    I'd be very interested to hear from those who have experience this or a similar itinerary.  

On this itinerary you need to be accepting of the high probability of missing 1 or more ports due to weather issues. I expect, based on your research, you are also aware of the potential for severe weather in the northern reaches of the Norwegian Sea, North Sea and North Atlantic Ocean. The days are also rather short.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

On this itinerary you need to be accepting of the high probability of missing 1 or more ports due to weather issues. I expect, based on your research, you are also aware of the potential for severe weather in the northern reaches of the Norwegian Sea, North Sea and North Atlantic Ocean. The days are also rather short.

Haha, right Andy.  And going "in search of the Northern Lights" reminds me a bit of the old snipe hunts we used to be pulled into as kids....😎

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

That's going to be part of the adventure.    I have spent the majority of my life in the American south, and my spouse chose to leave South Dakota to live almost exclusively in areas where we don't see much snow or ice.    So I'm always as excited as a 5 year old anytime there is even a hint of snow.    As for missing ports, extended port days, etc., I'm ready for whatever comes.   

• Like 4