Celebrity Eclipse Aft Balcony cabin

mduffles64

Hello - we are cruising to Bermuda June 2024 and have chosen cabin 8340 (aft balcony) cabin.  Has anyone sailed with an aft balcony?  Is there coverings with these balconies.  We love the sun but like to be in the shade late in the day.  Please let me know about the amount of sun/shade we will endure compared to a regular balcony cabin mid ship.  Thanks

The aft balconies have minimal covering so depending upon where and when you are cruising it can be so hot that you have to close the drapes to keep the cabin cool.  It also can be cool outside but the sun on the aft balcony with the ship blocking the wind can make for a pleasant day on the balcony.  Either way a nightcap sitting on the balcony watching the wake is always nice.

• Like 1

If you get lucky and are headed with the sun on the front end of the ship, it is shaded.  I don't like sitting in the sun... and there isn't much overhang... you can see from this YouTube video.  Later in the day when the sun is getting lower in the sky, it can be all in the sun. While it's an older video, the balcony space hasn't changed.  

Edited by twincheryl
  • Thanks 1

I belive that was our cabin last September, was partially covered.  The balconies sort of step up, so if you go to the rail and look up you will see everyone else on their balconies.  I'd say about 1/3 coverage from the deck above

We loved the aft cabin and would book again.  Only comments it that there was a bit more motion than mid ship.  Also nearest elevator bank is a good distance so you will get your steps.  Loved the view

We had a similar cabin on Silhouette to the one mentioned above. I love Sunset verandas at night, plus the sound of the wake.  In the day, shade is highly dependent on the direction of the sun in relation to the balcony.The overhang is little use in the rain. We also stayed in an aft on Beyond and Edge. Absolutely loved those cabins. I think the overhang is wider giving slightly more protection. Some nights our eighth deck cabin could hear heavy bass booming from the Eden area, but bearable. One big caveat with aft cabins...black chimney soot. If the wind is blowing smoke rearward, you will get some fallout. I always took a hand towel out to wipe down rails, table and seating. Be careful, because if you get that on your clothes, it is tough to get out. 

One more caveat. If you have mobility issues, be advised that the walk back to the aft is rather long from the elevators. On Beyond I counted my steps. It was 250 steps but I'm not sure that was accurate and I have a long stride.

I hesitate to praise  sunset verandas too highly because they are hard to book due to popularity. I don't want to increase their popularity and make it even harder to book one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1