Any tip thread or sheet?

lborne

Our first time on Oceania and I was looking for a tip sheet or thread or document.  Something along the lines of a FAQ, but more details.  I know the Disney forum has one, but don't see one here.  Thanks.

8 minutes ago, lborne said:

Our first time on Oceania and I was looking for a tip sheet or thread or document.  Something along the lines of a FAQ, but more details.  I know the Disney forum has one, but don't see one here.  Thanks.

I'm not clear what you are looking for...maybe this? https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005476793-What-is-your-gratuity-policy-

If not, please let us know your question.

I think what they are looking for is a list of tips for first timers on Oceania.   There is a very active thread for this type of info on the Azamara forum where cruisers post things they find useful and one person actively updates a Google doc.  However, I have not seen anything like it on the Oceania forum.  Lots of good info and advice posted here and answers to a lot of questions, but not organized in one thread or document. 

(and sorry, I'm not volunteering 😁). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My tip, ignore the advice of anyone who has not cruised since the shutdown.  Most of their info is hopelessly out of date.  FYI, my most recent cruise was in January of this year.   And if you aren't inclined to take out of date advice, ask them when they last cruised, especially if they don't volunteer that info.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, the mice said:

this type of info on the Azamara forum

And it was only the other day that I came across a Viking one. I've bookmarked it for as and when we start looking at Viking as a possibility for a cruise.

My wife and I are looking forward to our first cruise with O but have been cruising other lines for years. I'd encourage you to spend a couple of hours going through the various Oceania threads and know you'll find some excellent recommendations and answers to most of your questions. Then you'll be able to make informed decisions and ask pertinent specific questions with a solid knowledge base on the product.

I've always found this to be an enjoyable aspect of the cruise planning process and hope you will enjoy it as well. We found enough excellent information to book our first O cruise this May. Good luck and hope you have a great trip!

Cheers,

Rob

• Like 1

@Robroy has good advice.  We do not have a Sticky type thread to use so this forum requires a bit more work. Having said that, plenty of great threads and helpful posters to help with specifics.  Welcome to Oceania.

Years ago, the mods had some excellent “ Stickies “ posted on this thread. They clearly answered many of the commonly asked questions. Besides being a very helpful tool for newbies, it prevented the current twice monthly “ Can I bring wine and alcohol aboard “ threads. Right there as a Sticky for all to see.

I have no idea, for the life of me, why they stopped doing them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

I have no idea, for the life of me, why they stopped doing them

Possibly linked to the Tripadvisor ownership? On their forums they seem to be very  resistant to stickies. A couple of years back they actually contacted all their Destination Experts inviting submissions for stickies - but then they didnt do anything about it.

3 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Though may help to say (1) SHIP, (2) DATES, and (3) LOCATIONS.

Yes, when I have specific questions, I will be posting here with ship, dates, etc., and plan to also post in the Roll Call section.  I've uses Cruise Critic for planning many times, but it has been several years since I've been on a cruise, and this is a new line.  

Edited by lborne

14 hours ago, the mice said:

I think what they are looking for is a list of tips for first timers on Oceania.   There is a very active thread for this type of info on the Azamara forum where cruisers post things they find useful and one person actively updates a Google doc.  However, I have not seen anything like it on the Oceania forum.  Lots of good info and advice posted here and answers to a lot of questions, but not organized in one thread or document. 

(and sorry, I'm not volunteering 😁). 

Yes, that is exactly what I was talking about.  Usually it is contained in a sticky post, but sometimes it is elsewhere, which is why I asked.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Harters said:

Possibly linked to the Tripadvisor ownership? On their forums they seem to be very  resistant to stickies. A couple of years back they actually contacted all their Destination Experts inviting submissions for stickies - but then they didnt do anything about it.

That doesn't seem to be true on the Celebrity forums. There's 5 of them currently. There used to be more but they've disappeared so maybe something changed.

2 hours ago, lborne said:

Yes, that is exactly what I was talking about.  Usually it is contained in a sticky post, but sometimes it is elsewhere, which is why I asked.  Thanks.

Haha...I read "tip" and thought money 🙂 There are occasionally threads for first-timers. Here are a couple of recent ones to get you started:

• Like 1

Newbies, 

You have lots of willing Oceania vets on this Board.  Most importantly for the X ers making their move, you have a LOT of X expats who have seen the light and sailed Oceania for the first time and booked many more. We sailed X years ago when they brought out Aqua Class and Blu.  We had been on 3 Oceania cruises at that point and even then we’re NOT IMPRESSED with X. Needless to say, after 20 more Oceania cruises, there is no reason to ever consider taking steps backwards.  

To all, WELCOME to Oceania and the Finest Cuisine at Sea. 
Mauibabes

• Like 1

On 4/9/2023 at 4:37 AM, Harters said:

And it was only the other day that I came across a Viking one. I've bookmarked it for as and when we start looking at Viking as a possibility for a cruise.

Though I know that this is the wrong forum for it, can you share the one for Viking that you came across?  

Here you go, vithom. It's a long thread which I've hardly opened. I spotted a recent suggestion to a poster that they only read from a certain page which I suspect means it's post Covid so up to date with how things are.

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2416372-tips-for-new-viking-ocean-cruisers/

(EDIT: found the "restart" mention, suggesting start reading from page 45.)

Edited by Harters

On 4/9/2023 at 11:11 AM, pinotlover said:

Years ago, the mods had some excellent “ Stickies “ posted on this thread. They clearly answered many of the commonly asked questions. Besides being a very helpful tool for newbies, it prevented the current twice monthly “ Can I bring wine and alcohol aboard “ threads. Right there as a Sticky for all to see.

I have no idea, for the life of me, why they stopped doing them.

because stickies reduce clickies and clicks = ad revenue.

• Like 2

Just now, lborne said:

Ironically, the same cruise as you.  Oct 30 - Nov 9, Riviera.

Three most important things I learned from our 1st cruise ever, on Riviera 12/2021, was:

1) You can bring alcohol on board at embarkation and in ports (not just wine, but also beer and hard liquor), but you can only drink your wine outside your cabin and only in a restaurant after paying the $25 corking fee.

2) For men, the dress code in the specialty restaurants means a shirt with a collar, pants, socks, and shoes. (No suit, tie or jacket required.)

3) Do NOT overpack. O provides an umbrella and a hairdryer. There are laundry facilities on board.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Three most important things I learned from our 1st cruise ever, on Riviera 12/2021, was:

1) You can bring alcohol on board at embarkation and in ports (not just wine, but also beer and hard liquor), but you can only drink your wine outside your cabin and only in a restaurant after paying the $25 corking fee.

2) For men, the dress code in the specialty restaurants means a shirt with a collar, pants, socks, and shoes. (No suit, tie or jacket required.)

3) Do NOT overpack. O provides an umbrella and a hairdryer. There are laundry facilities on board.

Thank you.  We are getting the beverage package as part of the O-life Ultimate deal, so are set for lunch and dinner.  Good that we can bring wine and alcohol on board to have in our room.  We will be in Milan and Venice several days before so will have time to shop for it.  I suppose if I want a beer by the pool, I would just pay for it as it would probably be cheaper than upgrading the beverage package.   Good tip on not overpacking.