How does the "Medallion" shops on shore work ?

Shippy

On our last cruise, we saw several shop in the ports with the Princess Medallion logo on them.

I just spoke to a Princess rep but he was not familiar with that.

Do you use your Medallion to charge at those stores ?

Does it go on your shipboard account instead of straight to your credit card ?

If so, can you use your OBC to pay ?

Thanks

It is called "Medallion Pay". Shore-side purchases at participating merchants are posted to your onboard account. A small percentage of your purchases is returned to your account as OBC, so I would

guess that you would use OBC for payment and any balance would be paid for by the CC on file.

29 minutes ago, Shippy said:

On our last cruise, we saw several shop in the ports with the Princess Medallion logo on them.

I just spoke to a Princess rep but he was not familiar with that.

Do you use your Medallion to charge at those stores ?

Does it go on your shipboard account instead of straight to your credit card ?

If so, can you use your OBC to pay ?

Thanks

They have a machine there that reads your Medallion just like on the ship. It’s charged to your shipboard account. You get a small credit when you use it this way. I use it when I can & yes my OBC is applied to my purchases. 

Tom😀

Last year, there were a lot of posts - and probably more than one thread - on this new promotion idea.  It was a hot topic in last summer's Alaska season as guests found out Princess was charging the local merchants a big fee to participate (in exchange for sending customers their way presumably).  My sense of it was that most folks were not impressed and if doing business with the vendor, just paid by normal CC and did not use the Medallion link.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Last year, there were a lot of posts - and probably more than one thread - on this new promotion idea.  It was a hot topic in last summer's Alaska season as guests found out Princess was charging the local merchants a big fee to participate (in exchange for sending customers their way presumably).  My sense of it was that most folks were not impressed and if doing business with the vendor, just paid by normal CC and did not use the Medallion link.

I am interested because we have Princess Plus so basically everything is paid for.

We also have a lot of OBC. Shopping on the port sounds a lot better to me than shopping onboard !

25 minutes ago, Shippy said:

I am interested because we have Princess Plus so basically everything is paid for.

We also have a lot of OBC. Shopping on the port sounds a lot better to me than shopping onboard !

It is one way to consume up some OBC.  IDK which ports you will be at, but the initial list of vendors was thin, IIRC.  By now, there could be more.

When we tried to use this on our last Mexican cruise (because we had OBC to use up), surprise, surprise, the machines "aren't working today."  This was at more than one place.  So ask first before you consume copious amount of overpriced beverages that you end up paying cash for.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1