Helping mom cruise in YC

blueskadoo

Hi all! We are avid YC cruisers and love the product. My mom has done exactly one Carnival cruise in her life (and she liked it), and we want to treat her to the best (and our fave).  Part of the reason I want to take her on YC particularly, is the service. She's been dealing with recent health issues that have made her immune system not quite as robust, and her mobility isn't what it used to be. I've never really looked at the spaces from this perspective as this is new for us all. We're specifically considering taking her on the MSC Seaside. My understanding is that it is contained all in the front like Mera, so she won't have to traverse the whole ship to get to the Top Sail, restaurant or One Pool. If she needed help with things like disembarking to a particular port, would we be able to get a wheelchair? She can get around some, doesn't currently rely on any mobility aids, but on a bad day, I'd prefer to know she wouldn't be stuck on the ship when Ocean Cay is waiting. I appreciate any insight you can offer.  

Ps: The other line we're considering is Celebrity, but just a regular room, not Retreat. I'm really worried that's just too overwhelming with size and crowds. It seems like we've been very unlucky with getting sick any time we cruise outside YC.  

Edited by blueskadoo

2 hours ago, blueskadoo said:

My understanding is that it is contained all in the front like Mera, so she won't have to traverse the whole ship to get to the Top Sail, restaurant or One Pool.

Correct. 

2 hours ago, blueskadoo said:

If she needed help with things like disembarking to a particular port, would we be able to get a wheelchair?

Some info here....

...I suggest contacting MSC with mobility concerns...( LINK )

I’m doing a tester solo in two weeks’ time in hopes of being able to bring my parents in the future for the same reasons. We have done most of the lines and lately have been doing Celebrity including two in the Retreat. I think there you really need to be on a new ship to have an experience close to YC and pick a suite that is truly inside the Retreat complex. You are right that their ships can feel overwhelming otherwise.  The only recent cruise on which my Mom did not get sick was when we were in the Retreat and she too has a weakened immune system. For me, I don’t mind an inside cabin so absolutely love that YC offers the inside suites. Flying is also a big stress for her so Meraviglia coming to New York is a draw. 

An advantage for YC guests is the more easy access to the golf cart transportation around Ocean Cay. It is almost ‘on call’ access for even a complete trip around the island if you want it. 

Without question the YC experience will meet all your mothers’s needs.