Celebrity Beyond Eastern 4/2-9--Sky suite/retreat

RMac713

Returned Sunday from a week on the Beyond.  Have cruised Celebrity once before, last July on the Equinox.  As retreat guests we much preferred the Beyond for pool time!  We spent a couple of hours at the retreat pool every day except our St. Maarten day when we had an excursion (they canceled our St. Thomas excursion due a a threat of storms that didn't really materialize near the ship).  One day it seemed as if it would rain and we moved to the solarium.  We did not use the main pool as it seemed really crowded.  The ship was packed and supposedly there were 400 kids on board.

We stayed at the Renaissance the night before, which was nice, and ate at the Boatyard.

Everything about the retreat was great.  We had sky suite 10151.  Our butler was Reggie and she was wonderful.  Karen was our stateroom attendant.  We never had any issues with anything about the room, and they put up a nice congratulations banner and some balloons as we were celebrating my upcoming retirement from teaching at the end of May.   We made more use of the lounge than last year because it is much more convenient on the edge class ships!  

Luminae was amazing.  The first night our waiter Gilbert explained that we could offer "classic items" any night: a steak, a petit filet, salmon, french onion soup, shrimp cocktail, escargot.  That was good because the first night menu did not really appeal to any of us (it was me, my husband, and then my brother and sister in law next door).  During the week I had the escargot, shrimp, salmon, and petit filet among other items that were on the nightly menu.  On lobster night he automatically gave me another lobster!  The baked alaska was also a highlight.  We got used to room service breakfast as it was quicker than eating in the restaurant, and only ate lunch there twice.  On our last sea day we ordered on the pool deck--BLT wraps, burgers, caesar salad, and shrimp cocktail were among the options.

We also ate at Eden one night and I can add to the general love for the place.  I had the crab cake, lobster casserole, and meyer lemon tart.  

We did trivia one day, and I'm good at it, but there are no prizes so I only did it the one time.  For shows we attended Arte and Stage Door in the main theatre and Jazz Joint at the club.  I didn't get to any Eden shows but the ones I saw were wonderful.  My in-laws saw Elements too and said it was great.  

The thermal spa is very nice but I only got a day pass and didn't use it enough.  I don't know if I would get more than a day pass.  The spa itself looks gorgeous.

The art around the ship, especially the photos in the halls, is such a great addition to a ship.  

Cruise director was Luigi, activities director was Kyle, Captain Dmitri.  

Only two weird incidents.  One was on a sea day and my sister in law and I were in the retreat pool.  A mom came in with a giant unicorn float.  Her relative said it was too big for the pool.  She asked those of us in the pool if we minded.  I spoke up and said it was too big, so she left it on the side.  Honestly, it would have taken up the whole thing.  There were 2 or 3 kids in the group but it is not a kiddie pool.

Another was during the retreat silent disco.  Toward the end I sat with my husband, exhausted (he had danced maybe one song as he thinks it is silly).  A drunk guy came over and told him he should get up and "dance with your girl".  I said it was OK and my husband smiled through gritted teeth as the guy poked him  Then he moved on to my in-laws who were also sitting.  He got in my brother in laws face with the same line and then, seeing his face get red, asked if my BIL wanted to punch him!  We got out of there as the guy was a drunk and if the boys had done something to him WE would have been in trouble.  

Other than that.....I LOVED Beyond and changed our November cruise on Equinox to Beyond.  We lost Bonaire and gained Jamaica, but that's OK.  We also booked a 7 night Apex in November of 24.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for your review; glad you had a great time, except for two incidents.  My friends are on the ship now, also in a suite, but trying the MC this time...great deal!  My DH and I will be on for 21 days, starting with her TA in a Sunset Veranda.  

1.  Did you find Luminae to be warm?

2.  What did you enjoy most about the ship?

Thanking you in advance!

8 hours ago, Lastdance said:

Thanks for your review; glad you had a great time, except for two incidents.  My friends are on the ship now, also in a suite, but trying the MC this time...great deal!  My DH and I will be on for 21 days, starting with her TA in a Sunset Veranda.  

1.  Did you find Luminae to be warm?

2.  What did you enjoy most about the ship?

Thanking you in advance!

I usually wore a jacket or light shawl to dinner so I did not find Luminae chilly, but one night I was up against the windows and it got warm quickly!  On our last night they had the curtains closed because the sun was coming right in that side.

I really enjoyed the retreat pool deck.  We spent a lot of time there.  And we will be in a MC sky suite Beyond in November--excited to try it!

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, RMac713 said:

I usually wore a jacket or light shawl to dinner so I did not find Luminae chilly, but one night I was up against the windows and it got warm quickly!  On our last night they had the curtains closed because the sun was coming right in that side.

I really enjoyed the retreat pool deck.  We spent a lot of time there.  And we will be in a MC sky suite Beyond in November--excited to try it!

I keep saying sunset veranda instead of sunset suite.  We are also going in November, but I booked a sky suite.  Yes, I almost said sunset veranda again, as I have one booked for an 8 day cruise, after my TA.  Anyway, I hope they are working on the air-conditioning in Luminae by the windows, as being too warm for me is worse than being too cold.  It looks like a beautiful and spacious venue for dinner, much larger than Edge and Apex and some higher- ceiling areas.  Hopefully our November weather will be uneventful in terms of weather, but I do like a Little Rock n’ roll. 

Edited by Lastdance

10 hours ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

Nice review. Did you make it to the Martini Bar at all? How was it? We are in Aqua next week dining in Blu.

Great job on review!

Yes!  Made it to the martini bar twice.  I had a snowflake martini and a coco-creme tini (might not be the exact name--has coconut in it and coconut on the rim).  Never went during the light show though, hope to next time!

We recently sailed on the Apex- sister ship.  We enjoyed Eden also.   But we did enjoy the steak house also.  Love the major improvements to the suite deck and lounge-  We still will sail on the Silhouette and Reflection if they work best for us, but really love the E class ships.  

Glad you had a great trip.

21 hours ago, RMac713 said:

One was on a sea day and my sister in law and I were in the retreat pool.  A mom came in with a giant unicorn float.  Her relative said it was too big for the pool.  She asked those of us in the pool if we minded.  I spoke up and said it was too big, so she left it on the side.

Good on you to speak up.  What a ridiculous thing to bring to the Retreat pool.

We're not talking this big, are we? 😂

Giant Unicorn Pool Float | POPSUGAR Family

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

Good on you to speak up.  What a ridiculous thing to bring to the Retreat pool.

We're not talking this big, are we? 😂

Giant Unicorn Pool Float | POPSUGAR Family

Not quite!  But it would have pretty much filled up the deeper part of the retreat pool.  That's great though!