Boarding in Southampton, UK

I suppose each cruise terminal might have slightly different arrangements but, when we were there in 2017, it was all very straightforward. I presume not much will have changed.

We arrived in our car. Dropped off the luggage at the terminal with one of the porters, then drove round to the car park opposite and left the car with the parking company (parking4cruises), then walked back to the terminal. Check-in was almost immediately inside the main terminal and wasnt crowded (although that will depend on, say, whether a coach party has just arrived - we just beat one). There was one set of check-in desks but my recollection is that there were three queues for them - suites, concierge cabins and the rest. Check-in staff took people in order of cabin type - so if there was ever one person in the suites queue, they would be called forward before anyone in concierge, regardless of how long the concierge queue was. It all moved quickly and was, generally, moving much faster than my airport queues move.

• Haha 1

We sailed out of Southampton in August 2019 and it's not an experience I look forward to repeating when we're there in August of this year.  (I believe we were in the Queen Elizabeth II Cruise Terminal, but don't hold me to it.)  Ours was a drab, depressing, terminal building that was clearly not intended to be a cruise terminal when it was built and hadn't aged well.  We were dropped off by the taxi in front of the building, only to be told by employees after our luggage was curbside and the cab was gone, that the luggage drop was at the far end of the circle.  Of course, none of the stevedores could come over and get it, so we had to haul everything ourselves.  Once inside the terminal, we encountered uncomfortable seating and a group of junior-high hall monitors that kept telling everyone that they must remain seated at all times.  Checking in was a mess, although I don't recall the specific issues.  (I think I'm still blocking out most of my experience there.)  In any case, if you're sailing out of Southampton, be prepared for quite an unpleasant experience.

In April of 2019 we boarded the QMII, the young lady slid my key card across to me face down (the side with the name of the ship face up) and asked if me if my name was correct.

I informed her that my name was not Queen Mary.  The clerks on either side had quite a good laugh.

• Haha 2

My experience was also at the QE2 terminal. The whole boarding process took only a few minutes. After check-in it was straight through security and on to the ship. None of the issues faced by Cliff-FLL.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Southampton is used to hosting very large cruise ships and the process for check in will be quick and easy. It’s a big port so make sure your ride there follows the signage to the correct terminal. I haven’t used the Horizon Terminal but from what I have seen of it .. it looks very nice. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cliff-FLL said:

We sailed out of Southampton in August 2019 and it's not an experience I look forward to repeating when we're there in August of this year.  (I believe we were in the Queen Elizabeth II Cruise Terminal, but don't hold me to it.)  Ours was a drab, depressing, terminal building that was clearly not intended to be a cruise terminal when it was built and hadn't aged well.  We were dropped off by the taxi in front of the building, only to be told by employees after our luggage was curbside and the cab was gone, that the luggage drop was at the far end of the circle.  Of course, none of the stevedores could come over and get it, so we had to haul everything ourselves.  Once inside the terminal, we encountered uncomfortable seating and a group of junior-high hall monitors that kept telling everyone that they must remain seated at all times.  Checking in was a mess, although I don't recall the specific issues.  (I think I'm still blocking out most of my experience there.)  In any case, if you're sailing out of Southampton, be prepared for quite an unpleasant experience.

We're sailing with you but since we plan on going to Highclere in the morning, we'll be getting to the pier as late as possible. Hopefully we'll be able to breeze through and head to our cabin, no mattter which terminal it is.

• Like 2

My pre Covid experiences at Southampton are probably meaningless now. I will warn you that in the Current Era some cruise terminals are not allowing people into the terminal and/or waiting area until they’re assigned boarding times. They have been forced to wait outside the complex. We have seen this twice in the past year, including just recently in February. One must show their boarding documents to get into the terminal. Let this be a guide. Not sure what Southampton is doing in this regard.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, pinotlover said:

...I will warn you that in the Current Era some cruise terminals are not allowing people into the terminal and/or waiting area until they’re assigned boarding times. They have been forced to wait outside the complex. We have seen this twice in the past year, including just recently in February. 

This could be a whole 'nother hoped-for sticky: port terminal schedule rigor. Here's our experience so far

Trieste Nov 2021 cared a little but only made you wait until there was space (not until your assigned time)

Barcelona Aug 2022 did not care (or by 2pm didn't care any longer) 

Bangkok Feb 2023 did not care

Edited by babysteps

2 hours ago, babysteps said:

This could be a whole 'nother hoped-for sticky: port terminal schedule rigor. Here's our experience so far

Trieste Nov 2021 cared a little but only made you wait until there was space (not until your assigned time)

Barcelona Aug 2022 did not care (or by 2pm didn't care any longer) 

Bangkok Feb 2023 did not care

We normally arrive no earlier than 2:30-3:00 and rarely encounter a check in line.  Not so for those early arrivals. Also some Embarkment ports don’t have actual terminals. Places like Papeete, Langelinie in Copenhagen, Stockholm, and for us Bangkok ( on and on) only had a swiftly erected tent to welcome and check in new passengers. Oceania set the rules.

In other locales, actual cruise line terminals are utilized and the terminal officials set the rules, not the cruise lines.  Many operate differently.

23 hours ago, Ocean Mouse said:

Our last cruise out of Southampton was in November, no restrictions on entering the building 

Thank you for clarifying the recent situation at Southampton.

11 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Places like Papeete, Langelinie in Copenhagen, Stockholm, and for us Bangkok ( on and on)

Exactly. Bangkok had a building (not that big) where we dropped luggage and checked medical basics, all other formalities were done in the lounge (theatre). At some points the tide meant some tricky temporary elevated walk ways were in use. Lima check in is also mostly on board. Ther adventurous travel for the adventure, right?