Question About Taking My Cousin Who Is 18

Hi everyone! We will be cruising May 19th on the Explorer. We have a group of 12 going. Two of which are my cousins who is 18. Do they need letters from there parents? I know that they had to book the cabin under my name but I am not sure if I need there parents to write any letters?

Thanks for the help!!

Be careful and have fun

Can unaccompanied minors cruise?

Effective July 1, 2005 guests under the age of 21 must be booked in a stateroom with an adult who is 21 years or older. A parent or legal guardian must accompany guests under the age of 18 and must be booked in the same or adjacent stateroom. Acceptable proof will be required. These restrictions may be waived at our discretion where applicable.

Please note: An individual's age on the date of sailing determines his or her status for the entire cruise vacation. Royal Caribbean International does not accept bookings for student groups. Please consult a travel agent for Royal Caribbean's group policies.

The cousins are not minors, so don't need the legal paper from their parents. They do need to be booked in a room w/ someone over the age of 25, as Richard/Traci noted. You can always switch room assignments around after on the ship so that the 18 yo's are in a room together.

What a great time all of you will have!

Hi ev1 and thanks for the help. I am a bit nervous now as she is not in a room with an adult but in a cabin right across the hall from us. Would this be a problem? I would think that because we already booked it with rccl that it is fine. What do you think??

The cousins are not minors, so don't need the legal paper from their parents. They do need to be booked in a room w/ someone over the age of 25, as Richard/Traci noted. You can always switch room assignments around after on the ship so that the 18 yo's are in a room together.

What a great time all of you will have!

That rule is with Carnival. RCL allows guests under 21 to be in a cabin with someone who is 21 or older. They do need a note.

I don't think a note is needed if she is 18 at the time of sailing because she's not minor; therefore, does not need parental permission to travel but for beer and wine consumption, some adult will need to sign a waiver since she is under 21.

:confused: My only worry is they are not in a cabin with an adult. (Both are 18) Wouldn't RCCL have stopped the reservation from going through? My TA booked and again just said that they needed to go under my name.

If TA and RCI said it is fine, I would say it is fine. My assistant at work is going with her DH and underaged kids, with 3 cabins and they all got booked fine, too. You can call your TA tomorrow to double check this to ease your mind.

Relax! All will be fine!

Can a non-parents/guardian sign the drinking waiver? Myself and cousin, both 20 will be traveling this summer with two others, both over 21, our reservations are linked, so we are able to have our own room being we're both under 21. I assume that they'll be able to sign our drinking waiver, but should we have letter from our parents, who are okay with the waiver as well?

Thanks!

Understandalbe, however since neither of us are minors, we don't need a parent or legal guardian in order to sail. All we need is an adult 21 years or older, which we have two of. I assume that since those two (both 25) are ultimately responsible for us, since we're not 21, they could/should be able to sign our waiver.

I feel this is logical, but ya never do know!

Royal Caribbean International - Sports Bars On Explorer Of The Seas Champagne, specialty drinks, beer, wine and soft drinks, are offered at the current bar menu prices. Please note: Guests eighteen to twenty (18-20) years of age are welcome to enjoy beer and wine (for all Alaska sailings, guests must be 21 years of age in order to consume beer, wine and any other alcoholic beverages). Guests twenty-one (21) years of age and older are welcome to enjoy all alcoholic beverages.

Have fun and be careful.

YOU DON'T NEED ANYONE TO SIGN FOR YOU TO HAVE BEER OR WINE.... JUST TO HAVE SOMEONE OVER 21 TO BOOK YOUR ROOM!!!

Have fun, I did and still dooooo!!!

WRONG. Yes, you need a parent or legal guardian (person who is acting in loco parentis for the cruise, who will assume legal responsibility for the actions of the drinking 18, 19 or 20 year old) to sign a waiver IF the 18, 19 or 20 year old is to be permitted to drink beer and wine. THE DRINKING OF BEER AND WINE BY 18, 19 AND 20 YEAR OLDS IS ONLY PERMITTED WITH A SIGNED WAIVER.

Thank you, Carol. This is important information that needs to be accurately defined (as you have done).

To everyone else: What Merion Mom wrote is the rule. There are no exceptions (except on certain European cruises). The quote from RCI's website about 18 to 20 year olds being allowed to drink beer and wine is fine, but it leaves out the part about the required waiver signed by a responsible party.

beachchick

Archived