Vietnam Cruise Stops and E-visa

cruisinsusin

On 11/10/2023 at 10:32 AM, Westiesheepie said:

My Seabourn Encore cruise stops in HCMC, Da Nang and Halong Bay. So on the eVisa application, I just put HCMC as entry port? and Halong Bay as exit port? I believe our smaller ship docks close to the city in Saigon, so what is the name of that dock?

The cruise is Feb 17- Mar 2 and we are in Vietnam end of Feb, can I apply for eVisa now?

Thanks for all the great advice!

For HCMC, a few Oceania ships have been docking at a commercial container port called Hiep Phuoc.  I don't know if that's where Seabourn will dock, and haven't gotten my Vietnam evisa for Oceania Riviera yet.  But if you see that port listed on the evisa site, it MAY be where you'll be.  The port is called Saigon Premier Container Terminal Hiep Phuoc Port, Hiep Phuoc Industrial Park, Nha Be District.  I'm told it's about a 45 minute drive south of HCMC.  But at least one of Oceania's smaller ships stopped closer to HCMC, though I don't know what the port was called.  So it may be best to get the answer to where Encore has been assigned to dock.  There are 5 or 6 different locations for cruise ships. But after a brief look at the evisa site instructions, I can't see anything that specifically asked for incoming and outgoing ports, or even dates for that matter.  So now I'm back to square one - confused!  

As for Halong Bay and Da Nang, I'm  thinking cruise ships going to Halong Bay MAY dock at the Chan May port, where Oceania Riviera is scheduled to dock for our visit to Hue . Our itinerary shows Hue (Chan May). Chan May is a large but somewhat isolated port in the same general area of Vietnam.

Good luck.  I've been scratching my head, figuring out where we'll dock.  But now I wonder if I even need to know.....

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

This is probably too much info (for Westiesheepie), but  i was curious and looked at some notes I took about ships going to HCMC.  The big ships dock way far from the city.  One of Oceania's smaller ships (670 passengers, I think) went way up the Song (river) Tau and tied up beneath the Ho Chi Minh Museum on the south end of the city.  Marine Traffic showed the location as VN NHA. Silver Whisper (around same size or a little smaller) tied up at the Hiep Phuoc location I mentioned. Viking Orion (about the size of Oceania's larger ships) also tied up at Hiep Phuoc. Norwegian Jewel is headed to Vietnam now, though I forget if she is going to HCMC or not.  I'll see where she ends up. 

On 12/5/2023 at 4:43 PM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

This is probably too much info (for Westiesheepie), but  i was curious and looked at some notes I took about ships going to HCMC.  The big ships dock way far from the city.  One of Oceania's smaller ships (670 passengers, I think) went way up the Song (river) Tau and tied up beneath the Ho Chi Minh Museum on the south end of the city.  Marine Traffic showed the location as VN NHA. Silver Whisper (around same size or a little smaller) tied up at the Hiep Phuoc location I mentioned. Viking Orion (about the size of Oceania's larger ships) also tied up at Hiep Phuoc. Norwegian Jewel is headed to Vietnam now, though I forget if she is going to HCMC or not.  I'll see where she ends up. 

Thanks for all the info! I found out Encore will dock at the Nha Rong wharf. Very confusing but for tge eVisa can out HCMC Seaport

http://www.creative.rccl.com/e-lite/RCI/2014/Masters/email_temp/html/images/spacer.gif

About Your Upcoming Travels

http://www.creative.rccl.com/e-lite/RCI/2014/Masters/email_temp/html/images/spacer.gif

Dear Guest,

We’re excited to welcome you onboard Spectrum of the Seas for our January 2nd, 2024 sailing! As you prepare for your vacation, we wanted to share some important reminders with you regarding travel requirements.

Travel Documents

All guests traveling, regardless of age, must bring a passport book – not a passport card – that’s valid for at least six (6) months after the return date of our sailing. Not having the proper travel documentation will result in a denial of boarding. Some guests will need to bring additional supporting documents. Learn more about the required travel documents here.

Vietnam Visa

Visa on Arrival (VOA) will not be offered for this sailing. Guests must secure any necessary Visas and have all required travel documents prior to boarding. Kindly note, digital copies of E-Visas will not be accepted, so guests must bring a printed copy of their approved Vietnam E-Visa on boarding day to be given to the ground agent during check-in. Guests who arrive without the proper requirements will be denied boarding.

• Some of our guests can enjoy a Visa-free entry to Vietnam based on their nationality – this includes our U.K. guests.
    • To see if you’re eligible for visa-free entry, review the list of countries here.
    • All guests who require a Visa must obtain one, even if they plan to remain onboard in Vietnam.
  • Guests who require a Visa must apply no later than three (3) weeks prior to the sail date to ensure timely approval.
    • Good news – Vietnam now allows all guests who require a Visa to obtain an E-Visa.
    • If you’ve already obtained a physical Visa, you do not need to apply for a new E-Visa.
    • We’ve created a guide with more information on how to apply for the Vietnam E-Visa.
    • When applying for the Visa, please make sure to provide your name and personal data as it is reflected on your travel documentation.
  • Additionally, you’ll need to provide the name of each seaport for entry and exit.
    • For our sailing, the entry is Nha Trang Seaport, and our seaport for exit is Vung Tau Seaport.
  • For more information on applying for a Visa in advance, please click here.
  • Before submitting your application, please ensure all of your information is correct. An E-Visa with incorrect information will lead to a denial of boarding.

Thailand Visa

Guests who are eligible for the Thailand Visa-On-Arrival Application (VOA) are required to bring two (2) passport-sized color photos and fill in the form at check-in. After the application is completed, a handling fee of approximately $85 USD, based on the ship’s conversion rate, will be assessed to your SeaPass account once onboard.

For sailings visiting Thailand, please click here to see if you are required to apply for any Visas before joining us onboard.

• All Myanmar nationals will require a Visa and will not be eligible for Thailand Visa-on-Arrival (VOA).

Check-in & Boarding

If you haven’t already, please complete your online check-in via the Royal Caribbean App or online at RoyalCaribbean.com/booked. Before heading to the cruise terminal, print your luggage tags (found in your Vacation Documents) and secure them to your bags. Then, once you arrive in the terminal, keep all your travel documents – including your mobile or printed SetSail Pass – in hand. You'll need these items from the moment you arrive to the port all the way to boarding the ship, so don’t pack them away in your luggage!

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. We’ll see you onboard Spectrum of the Seas soon!

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

• 4 weeks later...

I'm about to apply for my Vietnam e-visa.

What did you put on the line "Agency/Organization/Individual that the applicant plans to contact when enter into Viet Nam".?

Can I skip it and put nothing?  or put "Not applicable" or do I put my Celebrity Solstice ship info?

Please kindly assistance.  Thank you.

16 hours ago, thuyronald said:

I'm about to apply for my Vietnam e-visa.

What did you put on the line "Agency/Organization/Individual that the applicant plans to contact when enter into Viet Nam".?

Can I skip it and put nothing?  or put "Not applicable" or do I put my Celebrity Solstice ship info?

Please kindly assistance.  Thank you.

I put the name of the cruise line and ship.

9 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I put the name of the cruise line and ship.

Oh, and just in case you have a passport (like a U.S. one) that combines both first and middle names as one, you check to make sure your name is reflected exactly as shown on your passport.  I'm told that's important. So if you are, for example, Betty Ann White, you should put "White" as surname (first block) and "Betty Ann" as given names (second block).  And make sure the dates are correct - day, month, year.  I put the "issued by" or something like that as "U.S. State Department," although I don't remember if that was required or not.  And for entry or exit ports, I selected Chan May Seaport (near Hue) and Ho Chi Minh City Seaport, but of course those may be different for you. And if your photo doesn't load, it could be something other than file size that's the hiccup.  I had to resize mine to be more like 2" by 3" rather than the 2x2 that my passport has.  And plain background, no eyeglasses, neutral expression...... 

On 1/7/2024 at 10:32 AM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Oh, and just in case you have a passport (like a U.S. one) that combines both first and middle names as one, you check to make sure your name is reflected exactly as shown on your passport.  I'm told that's important. So if you are, for example, Betty Ann White, you should put "White" as surname (first block) and "Betty Ann" as given names (second block).  And make sure the dates are correct - day, month, year.  I put the "issued by" or something like that as "U.S. State Department," although I don't remember if that was required or not.  And for entry or exit ports, I selected Chan May Seaport (near Hue) and Ho Chi Minh City Seaport, but of course those may be different for you. And if your photo doesn't load, it could be something other than file size that's the hiccup.  I had to resize mine to be more like 2" by 3" rather than the 2x2 that my passport has.  And plain background, no eyeglasses, neutral expression...... 

I think we are on the same Oceania Riviera cruise.   We are doing the segments Bangkok to Seoul.

Our 1st port on Feb. 18  is listed as Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) with 3 subsequent ports (Na Trang, Hue and Hanoi) all in a row, leaving Vietnam on Feb. 23.

I'd like to get e-Visas for less than the $99 pp that O will charge, but I am concerned that if we get e-Visas they may not be correct.  And then we are paying again onboard. 

It sounds like you successfully applied for your Vietnam Visa so I have some questions.

1. what is the correct working page for the e-Visa.  Won't connect in Chrome.  Edge doesn't take me to an page where I can input data.  I think I got there once before but cannot now. 

2. Single entry visa since it is 4 ports in a row or multiple?

3.  Looked at the list of ports.  On the list of ports I see this:  Cảng TP.Hồ Chí Minh Ho Chi Minh City Seaport   Is that what you put in as port of entry?

And I see you used Chan May for the exit port  We leave from Ha Long Bay which is not on the list.

So did your application complete successfully?   And, more importantly, are you sure your e-Visa will be accepted when we enter Vietnam on RIviera?

Thanks.  

On 1/10/2024 at 3:15 PM, the mice said:

I think we are on the same Oceania Riviera cruise.   We are doing the segments Bangkok to Seoul.

Our 1st port on Feb. 18  is listed as Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) with 3 subsequent ports (Na Trang, Hue and Hanoi) all in a row, leaving Vietnam on Feb. 23.

I'd like to get e-Visas for less than the $99 pp that O will charge, but I am concerned that if we get e-Visas they may not be correct.  And then we are paying again onboard. 

It sounds like you successfully applied for your Vietnam Visa so I have some questions.

1. what is the correct working page for the e-Visa.  Won't connect in Chrome.  Edge doesn't take me to an page where I can input data.  I think I got there once before but cannot now. 

2. Single entry visa since it is 4 ports in a row or multiple?

3.  Looked at the list of ports.  On the list of ports I see this:  Cảng TP.Hồ Chí Minh Ho Chi Minh City Seaport   Is that what you put in as port of entry?

And I see you used Chan May for the exit port  We leave from Ha Long Bay which is not on the list.

So did your application complete successfully?   And, more importantly, are you sure your e-Visa will be accepted when we enter Vietnam on RIviera?

Thanks.  

I still don't know for sure that the visa I have will be accepted.  However, both my and my spouse's visas do say "Good for single/multiple entries" so I hope it's fine for a cruise visit.  But the entry and exit dates on MY visa reflect "Good for entry valid from" a day before we're scheduled to dock in our first Vietnamese port (not what I put) and the "until" date about a week or so after we depart our last port.  My spouse's visa, however, (applied/paid for same U.S. day but slightly different time as mine) is a little different.  It has the date we're scheduled to visit our first port as the "entry valid from" date, and one day earlier than MY "until" date.  I'm assuming both of these things are due to timing and/or their policy of leaving some room for early/late visits, as I checked these applications several times.  There IS a number to call to ask questions, and an email address that I saw on the Vietnamese Evisa website (https://xuatnhapacanh.gov.vn).  I may email or call them just to make sure.

All I can say is good luck with your Asian visas!  

• Thanks 1

As a "P.S" of sorts, I know it may not be totally reliable/useful, but someone on a Facebook group just posted the instructions that a Royal Caribbean Line guest received from RCL on how to fill out the form.  It suggests reflecting the entry date as two days prior to the scheduled arrival date for first port, and the exit date at least a week after the date of the last port visit. It stated that the cruiser should apply for a one-time visa unless they anticipated going back to Viet Nam.  It listed the ports their cruises might use, and told guests to refer to their itinerary.  It mentioned that a hard copy of the visa must be presented when a person checks in for embarkation.

the mice, I think you're on the cruise after mine.  We disembark in Bangkok. Post again if you have questions and hopefully I'll see it and answer if can.

Yes, we board on Feb 12 in Bangkok. Enjoy your cruise. 

Why would the dates need to be different - ie., add extra days before and after?   Is that CYA on RCCL's part or just asking for trouble? Because you have to put your location address (the ship), don't you? And if you are somewhere else on those days... 

Life shouldn't be this complicated.  🙄

3 hours ago, the mice said:

Yes, we board on Feb 12 in Bangkok. Enjoy your cruise. 

Why would the dates need to be different - ie., add extra days before and after?   Is that CYA on RCCL's part or just asking for trouble? Because you have to put your location address (the ship), don't you? And if you are somewhere else on those days... 

Life shouldn't be this complicated.  🙄

it's wise to add extra days, in case the captain change the cruise schedule. This threshold will cover any unforeseen early/late arrival. Vietnam immigration only cares if you have a valid eVisa to enter.

Edited by monkey@cruise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok we just did the Celebrity cruise through Vietnam and here are some of the things you should be mindful of.

1. You MUST have a valid visa for Vietnam before you board the celebrity cruise, they will check this before you board.

2. Before you board Celebrity, they will confiscate your Visa and Passport before you board. Please take photo's of you passport before you board as you will not see your passport again until the last day of the cruise.

3. Once Celebrity has validated your visa and passport, they will give you a landing pass for Vietnam. There will be a immigration officer stationed on the ships exit that you must show him this landing pass or they will not allow you to exit the ship.

4. Because Celebrity will confiscate your passport, any destinations that you try to make currency foreign exchange or duty free shopping will NOT allow you unless you can show them a passport, hence we recommend you take a photo of you passport.

5. We found out the first dock in Vietnam was NOT the same as the one we all entered on our Visa, the ship advised us that we will be docking in another port as the one we have entered has been occupied by another cruise line, but that will be beyond your control.

@Rick Derris We have cruised Oceania but never in Asia.  We will be on Oceania and Vietnam will be 4 ports mid-cruise.  On previous cruises Oceania has never kept our passports and I am not expecting them to do so now.  They are also offering us Vietnam visa on arrival but at 4x the price of doing it ourselves. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, tosteve1 said:

Is anyone having trouble uploading photos to the application? The passport photo keeps getting rejected due to file size. What can I do about that?

US passport size photo is 2x2.   You need to adjust the size to a 2x3 ratio which is same ratio as 4x6.

I took our photos with my smartphone, loaded them to my desktop computer (Windows) and opened them in the Photos app on the desktop.  The crop function displays the ratio so I was able to get it to 2:3 and re-saved it.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, tosteve1 said:

It seemed to load the portrait ok, just not the passport data page. Maybe it's an iPad issue?

Can't help you there.  We are Androids (and Windows desktop).  My biggest challenge was the photo size.  Rest was easy.  I scanned our passports, saved as jpg files and used crop to just include the data page with the photo.  That worked.  

1 hour ago, tosteve1 said:

Thanks for the idea, I’ll try the laptop!

Take a screen shot of the reference code - don't just write it down.   You need this to access the visa once approved.

You will have to wait a few days and hopefully the email indicates you are approved and it provides the link to get a copy.  

The interesting thing is, after all the angst with the photos, there is no photo on the Vietnam eVisa, just a QR code.   Whereas our visas for Cambodia have the photos we uploaded.   And at least you should have current photos if required by your cruise line for online check in. (although you might have to resize them again......😁)

Looks like it was finally accepted. Scan, change file type, re-size and finally accepted. Fingers crossed! I can’t imagine trying to do this without a little bit of computer knowledge! 

22 minutes ago, tosteve1 said:

Looks like it was finally accepted. Scan, change file type, re-size and finally accepted. Fingers crossed! I can’t imagine trying to do this without a little bit of computer knowledge! 

Why my husband leaves it all to me 🤣  Glad you finally got it to work!  Happy travels.