Flight change from Vancouver - Help!

MarEll1

Hello - Air Canada just changed our nonstop flight from Vancouver to Phoenix to leave at 9:50 AM which we obviously won’t be able to make. We are now going to have to make a connection and get back very late as we then have a 2 hour drive to Tucson. 

There is a United flight that’s not horrible but it leaves YVR at 12:10 PM. Is it reasonable to think we could get off the ship and make that flight?

If you have luggage to pick up ashore forget it.

if you only have carry on and request to get off the ship

first, it’s tight but you could make it by taxi.

it also depends if another ship has debarked before

you with taxi lineups in progress.

why not just spend the day in Vancouver, relax getting

off the ship at leisure and check into a hotel?

Leave the next day?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, John Cruise said:

If you have luggage to pick up ashore forget it.

if you only have carry on and request to get off the ship

first, it’s tight but you could make it by taxi.

it also depends if another ship has debarked before

you with taxi lineups in progress.

why not just spend the day in Vancouver, relax getting

off the ship at leisure and check into a hotel?

Leave the next day?

I’d like to do that but my husband has to get back to work the next day.

Well, I am more optimistic that a 12:10PM flight out of Vancouver may be doable.  If you arrange when on board to be in the first debarkation group, getting off, say, by 9AM (it might even be earlier), and in a cab by 9:40, you should be at the airport in an hour. Would not that leave enough time, if you have your boarding passes and drop your bags, to make the flight?   

Only you can decide if that is too stressful or not, and you should have a "Plan B" if things fall apart. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

TS:

To lower your stress level as making that 1210H airport departure--

Stress, if possible, keeping your bags with you rather than putting them in the hallway night before disembarkation.  Coordinate this with General Manager beforehand.  Request being in first group to depart, with your stuff as soon as ship has been "cleared by local authorities".  

This procedure has worked for us in the past. 

Utilize a limo service (such as Blacklane) for transport to airport rather than waiting in a taxi line. 

This has also worked for us. 

GOARMY!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ON cruiser said:

Well, I am more optimistic that a 12:10PM flight out of Vancouver may be doable.  If you arrange when on board to be in the first debarkation group, getting off, say, by 9AM (it might even be earlier), and in a cab by 9:40, you should be at the airport in an hour. Would not that leave enough time, if you have your boarding passes and drop your bags, to make the flight?   

Only you can decide if that is too stressful or not, and you should have a "Plan B" if things fall apart. 

Good luck!

Thank you - I will be stressed no doubt, husband will not. That’s how it works in our family!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, GOARMY said:

TS:

Stress, if possible, keeping your bags with you rather than putting them in the hallway night before disembarkation.  Coordinate this with General Manager beforehand.  Request being in first group to depart, with your stuff as soon as ship has been "cleared by local authorities".  

Utilize a limo service (such as Blacklane) for transport to airport rather than waiting in a taxi line. 

GOARMY!

Good suggestion - I will look into a limo service.

On 4/14/2023 at 12:54 PM, ON cruiser said:

Good luck!

If you arrive at the airport 90 minutes ahead of flight time with boarding passes in hand, you still must go through USA customs and immigration pre clearance. Ninety minutes ahead of flight time is not a reasonable amount of time IMHO. I believe you will have about a 50% chance of making your flight. Chances are a little better if your flight is not on a weekend when most cruise passengers clog up Vancouver airport.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, edgee said:

If you arrive at the airport 90 minutes ahead of flight time with boarding passes in hand, you still must go through USA customs and immigration pre clearance. Ninety minutes ahead of flight time is not a reasonable amount of time IMHO. I believe you will have about a 50% chance of making your flight. Chances are a little better if your flight is not on a weekend when most cruise passengers clog up Vancouver airport.

It’s a Wednesday, but I see that a Princess and an HAL ship are there that day as well. I think we will have to go with another option. Air Canada really messed us up! I hope I can get out $$ back. I need to call them. The only online option is to accept the time change or chose another flight - no cancel option. 🙁

On 4/14/2023 at 2:14 PM, GOARMY said:

TS:

GOARMY!

This can work for a tight schedule even if the ship is a bit late. The KEY is to keep your luggage with you the night before, leave with the first group(this is the one that has their luggage and doesn’t need to wait for the crew to off load luggage) AND have a hired car waiting for you at the port pick up. Saves a lot time getting off the ship… we have made this work.

Remember the other ships passengers… as least many, will be waiting for luggage… to get off the ship before they  an get off and go though US entrance. You will be ahead of most and you will not have to wait for your car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cwn said:

This can work for a tight schedule even if the ship is a bit late. The KEY is to keep your luggage with you the night before, leave with the first group(this is the one that has their luggage and doesn’t need to wait for the crew to off load luggage) AND have a hired car waiting for you at the port pick up. Saves a lot time getting off the ship… we have made this work.

Remember the other ships passengers… as least many, will be waiting for luggage… to get off the ship before they  a get off and go though US entrance. You will be ahead of most and you will not have to wait for your car.

That makes sense. Thank you.