Tell me about Chioggia Italy

midwestchick

We are booked on an Italy extensive cruise in October. The ship sails out of Chioggia and not Venice, although we would fly into Venice. I’ll like information about transfers from Venice airport to that port. Are there hotels there and what do people do about transfers?  We’ve been to Venice several times before so if we would skip staying there for a day it would not be missed.

We cruise out of Chioggia in July.  We booked what appears to be a very nice hotel right on the water and (It appears) with walking distance of the pier.  It also is accessible by car, no water taxi required.  Booked a private transfer from the airport €133.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SandJCruiser said:

We cruise out of Chioggia in July.  We booked what appears to be a very nice hotel right on the water and (It appears) with walking distance of the pier.  It also is accessible by car, no water taxi required.  Booked a private transfer from the airport €133.

That’s roughly what we paid for a water taxi from the airport to a hotel in Venice the last time we were there.  Are you flying into Ve ice?  What is the name of your hotel? We sail in October and I’ve finally started researching this trip.

1 hour ago, midwestchick said:

That’s roughly what we paid for a water taxi from the airport to a hotel in Venice the last time we were there.  Are you flying into Ve ice?  What is the name of your hotel? We sail in October and I’ve finally started researching this trip.

Hi Nancy,

Which sailing are you on in October? We were on the 2016 cruise with you and did some private shore excursions with you then. We’re on the Pursuit Croatia Intensive that leaves from Venice October 7. It’s the second leg of a back to back, so don’t have to worry about getting to the port!

Diana

2 hours ago, midwestchick said:

Venice is about 6km south of the airport in a straight line.  Chioggia roughly another 24 km further south.

10 hours ago, wjfan417 said:

Hi Nancy,

Which sailing are you on in October? We were on the 2016 cruise with you and did some private shore excursions with you then. We’re on the Pursuit Croatia Intensive that leaves from Venice October 7. It’s the second leg of a back to back, so don’t have to worry about getting to the port!

Diana

Hi. We are on the Italy intensive on the Quest in October.  What excursion did we do with you? It’s been so long…which cruise was in 2016?

2 hours ago, midwestchick said:

Roughly about 20 miles. Are taxis readily available at the airport?  

Yes, there looked to be plenty.  We've just finished 4 days in Mestre, which is on the mainland next to Venice.  We caught a short bus to here from the airport for EUR10 pp.  It's incredibly easy to get into Venice on the train if you pick a hotel near the station, so I'd recommend it unless you're determined to stay on one of the islands.

Today we've arranged a Chioggia-based van-sized taxi to collect us and two other couples.  It was a bit cheaper than the hotel said that a local taxi for two would cost.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, midwestchick said:

Roughly about 20 miles. Are taxis readily available at the airport?  

Depends what time you land and how prepared you are to wait.  Twice had dreadful lines so lately we don’t take the risk prebooked with Welcome pickups when in Venice. They go to Chioggia it’s approx $100 with them. 

• Like 2

On 4/15/2023 at 1:19 AM, fruitmachine said:

Yes, there looked to be plenty.  We've just finished 4 days in Mestre, which is on the mainland next to Venice.  We caught a short bus to here from the airport for EUR10 pp.  It's incredibly easy to get into Venice on the train if you pick a hotel near the station, so I'd recommend it unless you're determined to stay on one of the islands.

Today we've arranged a Chioggia-based van-sized taxi to collect us and two other couples.  It was a bit cheaper than the hotel said that a local taxi for two would cost.

We don’t wish to stay in Venice this time. We prefer to stay where the ship is docked. 

On 4/15/2023 at 2:17 AM, uktog said:

Depends what time you land and how prepared you are to wait.  Twice had dreadful lines so lately we don’t take the risk prebooked with Welcome pickups when in Venice. They go to Chioggia it’s approx $100 with them. 

Please share taxi info as we like to pre-book transportation. We fly to Venice in Oct and have booked a hotel in Chioggia.

16 minutes ago, maggie777 said:

Please share taxi info as we like to pre-book transportation. We fly to Venice in Oct and have booked a hotel in Chioggia.

Welcome Pickups is the name. They operate in several cities worldwide 

We're staying a Grande Italia in Chioggia for the May 6 Croatia intensive. I emailed the hotel about transportation (we're going a day early) and they wanted 125,00 for 2 people. I appreciate the info on Welcome Pickups. The water taxi from Chioggia that goes directly to St. Mark's Square is directly outside the door of the hotel, so we plan to take advantage of that on our own. The ship will be docked, as the crow flies, directly left of us and a few blocks over. However, there are several canals between us and no bridge nearby to get to it, so we will have to get a taxi to the ship.  A pretty short ride though.

Someone on the April 15 Journey cruise posted pictures if you want to check that roll call.

15 hours ago, maggie777 said:

http://www.taxichioggia.net/il-taxi/

It's got 8 passenger seats (plus driver) and sufficient luggage space unless you have multiple cases each.  We had 6 passengers and it was very comfortable.

My only caveat is that I think this is a one-man business, and he appears to have managed to double book himself for our return journey on Saturday.  However, after some negotiation and him contacting the other customer, we've got to a good compromise on timing.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Lisaten said:

We're staying a Grande Italia in Chioggia for the May 6 Croatia intensive. I emailed the hotel about transportation (we're going a day early) and they wanted 125,00 for 2 people. I appreciate the info on Welcome Pickups. The water taxi from Chioggia that goes directly to St. Mark's Square is directly outside the door of the hotel, so we plan to take advantage of that on our own. The ship will be docked, as the crow flies, directly left of us and a few blocks over. However, there are several canals between us and no bridge nearby to get to it, so we will have to get a taxi to the ship.  A pretty short ride though.

Someone on the April 15 Journey cruise posted pictures if you want to check that roll call.

Unless I'm mistaken, there is no direct Venice-Chioggoa water bus.  You have to take a combination of ferries & buses (ferry-bus-ferry-bus-ferry!!, though I think you remain on the bus for the middle ferry).  See below and the interactive map this is from: https://actv.avmspa.it/sites/default/files/avm/navigazione/MAP/interattiva.htmlimage.thumb.png.402a4f82bf11ad13bc80d517990d57db.png

Edited by fruitmachine

Thanks for that great info fruitmachine. I don't know where you get this fabulous info but it's been very helpful.  We are real chicken about getting lost and abandoned.  Indirect and 70 minutes is still best for us on our own trying to get to St. Marks, but I don't like the bus options.  Maybe we'll skip it until the cruise tour the day we get back.  Bummer 

BTW, everyone, regarding transportation, before we lost the website, they didn't offer transfers at all to Chioggia online and Azamara suggested we use Aloschi Brothers on our own.  Just another option.

7 hours ago, Lisaten said:

Actually the 125.00 is not a bad price. We paid about that several years ago for a water taxi from the airport to a Ve ice hotel. I don’t really like people movers and I can see they would be a pain

for people with luggage.  We want the simplest and most convenient transfer we can find. Thank you for the information.

21 hours ago, Lisaten said:

Thanks for that great info fruitmachine. I don't know where you get this fabulous info but it's been very helpful.  We are real chicken about getting lost and abandoned.  Indirect and 70 minutes is still best for us on our own trying to get to St. Marks, but I don't like the bus options.  Maybe we'll skip it until the cruise tour the day we get back.  Bummer 

BTW, everyone, regarding transportation, before we lost the website, they didn't offer transfers at all to Chioggia online and Azamara suggested we use Aloschi Brothers on our own.  Just another option.

I could have booked a transfer from either Venice (Tronchetto) or the Airport.  Both were very reasonably priced.  We filled in a form today about the return journey.  Although I didn't need it, I wrote and brought to their attention that a Chioggia-Mestre transfer would likely be an attractive option for many passengers.  They said they'd pass the message along, so perhaps it might get through!

16 minutes ago, fruitmachine said:

I could have booked a transfer from either Venice (Tronchetto) or the Airport.  Both were very reasonably priced.  We filled in a form today about the return journey.  Although I didn't need it, I wrote and brought to their attention that a Chioggia-Mestre transfer would likely be an attractive option for many passengers.  They said they'd pass the message along, so perhaps it might get through!

I saw the transfer options and thought the prices are very reasonable. Chioggia to Mestre would be a good option for us as we will be headed to a train station when we disembark in October.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wjfan417 said:

I saw the transfer options and thought the prices are very reasonable. Chioggia to Mestre would be a good option for us as we will be headed to a train station when we disembark in October.

What cruise are you on in October?