Wifi for medical needs

Scrufsmom

I've read several posts about how spotty the Wifi systems are on the boats.  We will be traveling on the Escape and need to really find out if others experience coverage for their medical devices that are attached to apps on their phones.  I can not be the only person who is now one of the millions that wear the ever so fashionable diabetes sensor.  So did you have to pay for the premium wifi to continue the coverage for sensor or can you just do the unlimited?  Anyone who can offer their valuable input is greatly appreciated.  Thank you

28 minutes ago, Scrufsmom said:

I've read several posts about how spotty the Wifi systems are on the boats.  We will be traveling on the Escape and need to really find out if others experience coverage for their medical devices that are attached to apps on their phones.  I can not be the only person who is now one of the millions that wear the ever so fashionable diabetes sensor.  So did you have to pay for the premium wifi to continue the coverage for sensor or can you just do the unlimited?  Anyone who can offer their valuable input is greatly appreciated.  Thank you

You can also purchase coverage from your cell phone carrier while you are on the ship. I have done that multiple times (I have AT&T) and it provides good coverage when you are at sea.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Scrufsmom said:

I’m not aware of any diabetes sensors which require Wi-Fi to function? Which sensor are you using? 

51 minutes ago, robinium said:

I’m not aware of any diabetes sensors which require Wi-Fi to function? Which sensor are you using? 

50 minutes ago, The Other Tom said:

Does the device connect to your phone via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth?  If it's by Bluetooth, then you don't need Wi-Fi. 

Not the OP, but my dad has one that he can read the numbers on a smart watch type device (I think it's a FitBit) that is connected to his iPhone.  Despite both being connected to the phone by Bluetooth, in order to get the numbers on the watch he needs to have an internet connection.  It's something to do with the apps and cloud sync.  He uses a Dexcom (I don't know what model)

21 minutes ago, hallux said:

Not the OP, but my dad has one that he can read the numbers on a smart watch type device (I think it's a FitBit) that is connected to his iPhone.  Despite both being connected to the phone by Bluetooth, in order to get the numbers on the watch he needs to have an internet connection.  It's something to do with the apps and cloud sync.  He uses a Dexcom (I don't know what model)

Ah that’s likely because he’s using an unofficial service to share the data from the phone to watch, because Dexcom doesn’t have official FitBit support. 

I’m also using Dexcom and there is no need to have Wi-Fi to get the readings on your phone. The sensor uses Bluetooth to transmit to the phone. As far as I am aware, every other CGM also works this way. 

You can be in any number of places with poor wifi in certain buildings or equipment so the short answer is that they use bluetooth and the wifi should be OK.

Where you are traveling makes a major difference too as well as the number of sea days at night would it wake you up?  During the day in port you will not be using the ships wifi so you would need to have a data plan that worked wherever you were.

Again I am saying as others have said they use Bluetooth for the basic functions between device and phone.

Thanks to all who replied. I use a Freestyle Libre 3 and wasn’t thinking Bluetooth service. Guess I view it as an app on the phone hence Wi-Fi connect.  You all helped me and I appreciate it.