K-ETA (Korean Electronic Travel Authorization)

klj10825

Am a US citizen on US Passport. Have been on the Diamond Princess since April 2nd and asked on the first day if we needed a K-ETA. Was told no becuase it only applied if you were dis-embarking into South Korea to stay rather than just a few hour port stop. Our scheduled stop in Jeju was cancelled due to weather but we did stop in Busan instead and had no problems entering South Korea without a K-ETA. South Korean authorities did check passports going in and coming out of port. We are scheduled to stop in Busan again on April 17th.

Edited by klj10825
Title

• klj10825 changed the title to K-ETA (Korean Electronic Travel Authorization)

Thanks for your thread.  I heard this was changed on April 1 (after my stop).  I wonder what will happen if you DON'T get the visa?  

We were all told by Korea that it was required to have a K-ETA electronic visa.  Most everyone complied and paid the $8.  

It's here on the FAQs page.

Q16. [Application Qualification] I want to travel to Jeju Island. Do I need to get a K-ETA?

A

Yes, Even if you want to visit Jeju Island, you must obtain K-ETA approval before boarding the plane or ship.

7I-130213I-41E-8iwdI-55538491I-4uPmuPzeI-4I-3I was sent an email answering my question.

K-ETA logo
q&a img

Kindly find the response
to your question 

line img
Question 

[Type of Question:K-ETA Questions about Application] 

I am arriving by Princess Cruises (Diamond Princess) to Jeju Island in March 2023. 1. Do I need to fill out/complete K-ETA? 2. I started the process but am stuck. I do not have a zip code, address, phone number for Princess Cruises. It asks for local address. We will be docked for the day. 3. Do I need a visa if I am a United States Citizen? Your FAQ #16 states: I want to travel to Jeju Island. Do I need a K-ETA? Answer: No, Those who wish to travel directly only to Jeju Island do not need to get a K-ETA. Please help. Thank you 

Response 

Dear Inquirer, 

Thank you for your interest in K-ETA. 

Regarding your inquiry as to whether you need to apply for K-ETA, please find the answer as below:

1. The K-ETA (Korea Electronic Travel Authorization) is a travel authorization that foreign nationals need to obtain in advance when they want to enter the Republic of Korea visa-free for tour, visiting relatives, participating in events or meetings, business, and/or other similar reasons (other than profit-making activities). If you intend to enter Korea visa-free including the Jeju island, you are required to obtain a K-ETA.

2. If you intend to depart on the same day you enter Korea and you are not staying in any accommodation, please enter the address and the contact number of the port of arrival.

3. If your purpose of stay does not fall under one of those purposes mentioned above, you are required to get a relevant visa, not K-ETA. For more information about the visas, please kindly contact the Embassy or Consulate of the Republic of Korea.

On the official K-ETA website, the answer of the FAQ #16 states “Yes, Even if you want to visit Jeju island, you must obtain K-ETA before boarding the plane or ship”. Please go to the official K-ETA website (www.k-eta.go.kr) or mobile App (K-ETA) and check the updated information.

The only official website operated by the government of the Republic of Korea is “www.k-eta.go.kr”. K-ETA Center has not delegated the service of the K-ETA application to any private agencies. Since 1 September 2021, the K-ETA application fee charged per person is 10,000 KRW (around 9~10 USD, additional fees not included).

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us. 

Best Regards, 

K-ETA Center 

Do not reply to this message. This e-mail address cannot accept incoming mails. If you have any questions, please visit the official K-ETA website.

If you did not make this request,
please check by logging in the official K-ETA website.

Copyright ⓒ 2021 Ministry of Justice. Republic of Korea.
All Rights Reserved

korea immigration service

We did NOT get the K-ETA and had no problems getting off the ship on April 8th. I had my doubts as to whether it was needed regardless of what the Korean Authorities were telling people because it said you had to have it prior to boarding your ship or plane to South Korea and Princess was clearly not requiring it to board. The fact it was not required was confirmed by Princess staff once I board and being able to get off the ship on April 8th without a K-ETA on April 8th

9 hours ago, klj10825 said:

Am a US citizen on US Passport... Was told no becuase it only applied if you were dis-embarking into South Korea to stay rather than just a few hour port stop.

Also US citizens. Will port for one day in November. We were also told this is no longer needed for the few hours stop.

this is the  web site the explains the temporary exception for April 1, 2023 to December 31, 2024: . 

https://www.k-eta.go.kr/portal/board/viewboarddetail.do?bbsSn=149899&pageIndex=1

with planning for a upcoming trip I  got  the same conflicting information . in the FAQ ( Q16) it still states that you need a K-eta. When you submit a question you may be told that you need the K-eta ( my inquiry was very close to the april one announcement, this is what I summize the inaccuracy of my response 'you need the K-eta'). 

But it looks like "last and final answer is NO you do not need the K-eta. 1/1/2023 to 12/31/2024. all subject to change at any point . 

Is the above post saying that the Korean authorities were requiring the K-eta payment?