Hotel Suggestions just outside Venice?

envy4u

We fly into Venice and are looking to find a hotel just outside of Venice for one night as we would like to visit but not stay there. Don’t want to lug luggage. Then take the train to Trieste the following morning to board the Oosterdam. Suggestions welcome. Thanks!

2 hours ago, envy4u said:

We fly into Venice and are looking to find a hotel just outside of Venice for one night as we would like to visit but not stay there. Don’t want to lug luggage.

You do sort of rob yourself of one of the more wonderful travel experiences out there-- taking a water taxi from the airport into the heart of the city after a long overnight flight. It's magic. 

There are hotels in Venice proper that have their own water taxi dock and you won't have to lug luggage. With only one day you won't have ton of time so I personally would be much more open to spending a bit more to avoid having to spend time commuting in and out. 

4 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

You do sort of rob yourself of one of the more wonderful travel experiences out there-- taking a water taxi from the airport into the heart of the city after a long overnight flight. It's magic. 

There are hotels in Venice proper that have their own water taxi dock and you won't have to lug luggage. With only one day you won't have ton of time so I personally would be much more open to spending a bit more to avoid having to spend time commuting in and out. 

We have been to Venice many times that’s why I’m asking for a suggestion on hotel just outside of Venice. Agree it’s magical 😉 

I stayed in Mestre last yr.  Had visited Venice several times before so  just needed a room precruise.  Much more economical than Venice hotels, plus it was convenient to the train station for our ride to Tireste.  There are several large hotels directly across from the station.

After the cruise I used Flixbus for a direct ride to VCE and stayed at an airport hotel as my flight was at 6:30am.

Both trips were under 20E and took 2 hrs.

Edited by mapleleaves

42 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

I stayed in Mestre last yr.  Had visited Venice several times before so  just needed a room precruise.  Much more economical than Venice hotels, plus it was convenient to the train station for our ride to Tireste.  There are several large hotels directly across from the station.

After the cruise I used Flixbus for a direct ride to VCE and stayed at an airport hotel as my flight was at 6:30am.

Both trips were under 20E and took 2 hrs.

What was the name of the hotel and what did you think of it ?

I didn't stay at one of the train station hotels.  I stayed at the Villa Costanza which is further up the hill, about 7-8 minute walk.  It was fine; clean comfortable, quiet, modern, wifi, and 110 E    I don't get too fussed about hotels. it's just a place to sleep and shower, so as long as it's clean and quiet, I'm good.

The big hotels at the station are the Best Western Hotel Bologna, Tritone, and Plaza.  If you have luggage, their location is very convenient.  I just have 1 carryon bag, so walking another 7-8 minutes was no problem.

Hotels near Venezia Mestre Railroad Station | Venice for Visitors (europeforvisitors.com)

After the cruise I stayed at the Hotel Antony. Free airport shuttle, clean, quiet, comfortable,, wifi, 110E. Excellent restaurant on property. 

• Like 1

We spent four nights in the Staycity in Mestre last week.  It's incredibly easy and inexpensive to get the train into Venice, and the regional transport day (or multi-day) ticket covers that journey if you're later getting the Vaporetto.

If you want to be in Venice in the evening, it's probably quicker to get to and from this hotel, or any of the others (Campanille and Leonardo Royal) in the same street, or others mentioned above than across Venice itself.

It's a modern aparthotel and was very comfortable.