Earliest time to arrive for a pier upgrade

You can't request an upgrade until after you have checked in. That being said, the first in line will get checked in first, so if you are there early, you have a better opportunity. These days, most of the actual check ins seem to start somewhere between 10:30 and 11:00.

Good luck

Timing is everything... as mentioned, you can't check until you check in... however, it's sometimes worth checking later in case someone cancelled at the last minute or perhaps someone else upgraded and their cabin would be an upgrade to you. Looks like your next cruise is this month. I've had zero luck upgrading since the ships are so full at this time of year. Good luck (you'll love the vision).

Check ahead with RCCL or your TA and see how full the ship is. If it's full, then your chances of an upgrade at the pier are pretty much zilch.

If there are available cabins, then make it an early check-in and boogie on down the line to the Pier Coordinator's counter/table/desk and see about the upgrade.

Then, the last ditch effort is once on the ship (if you didn't get your upgrade at the pier), go to the Customer Service Desk and ask them.

Good luck! I've had good and bad, and we usually check on every cruise. I've upgraded from an outside to a balcony for $100 on a one week cruise, and then been told it was $400 pp on another cruise.

My very subjective and personal opinion is the RCCL seems to be having their cruises on sale more this Spring, so I'm thinking they aren't filling them up like last year. You might have better luck than those of us in past years.

It's a moving target.

Your check-in Customer Service rep will know when you first check-in. The Pier Coordinators are almost always at one far end of the check-in area, and they have a sign.

We usually have one of us get in line to check-in, and the other one goes and scouts for the Pier Coordinator's location, then comes back and get in line with the first.

On our last cruise, they had balconies left and there was even a list on the PC's desk that we saw (we got there just before him as the ship was starting to board) adn he still refused to sell us an upgrade. There were 3 balcony cabins left. I wonder if they keep those for emergencies?

Archived