Japan 2024 canceled…

Tarwood3

35 minutes ago, wahwah1 said:

That's a downgrade. Assigned balcony to GTY oceanview.

Thanks anniegb for responding.

Oh. That's not good.. so you booked a balcony  on gty. And you have an OV. Still on gty or a cabin number.  Your still on the cruise.

Yet there are still concierge  cabins. They sould have upgraded you

32 minutes ago, southwestie said:

Oh. That's not good.. so you booked a balcony  on gty. And you have an OV. Still on gty or a cabin number.  Your still on the cruise.

Yet there are still concierge  cabins. They sould have upgraded you

Almost. I booked an assigned balcony cabin (not GTY) and selected a high deck room. The balcony cabin # is still attached to my reservation.

They had 3 triple oceanview left on Friday located on deck 2 (2 cabins) and one cabin on deck 3. 

There is no access to know the inventory on the ship. I heard the first agent said they still have conceirge left after chatting with her for long time prior sending me to the escalation line.

The second agent has access to assign cabins, but for my particular case, she could only assign me oceanview and reviewed my other alternatives (e.g. cancel / shift and lift). Since I haven't discussed with my parents on the options, I said I will call back within 1 hr before they close.

After 1 hr, I called back, the third agent told me for any changes, they will need a backend agent. She told me I only got 1 downgrade option per my letter and she cannot go by the notes on my reservation. (My letter is downgrade from balcony to oceanview with $700 OBC).

My understanding is the option is set and they cannot deviate from it. No matter whether the compensation is fair or not. 

If you check the pricing for triple balcony with 3 perks vs oceanview with 3 perks, you will understand the difference is $1900 cad in oct 2024. They only offered $700 OBC and not even a reduction to my fare.  I can tell you a triple balcony fare is more than a double balcony fare for the 1 stateroom and now celebrity wants to keep the triple balcony fare for a triple oceanview room.

Edited by wahwah1

28 minutes ago, wahwah1 said:

Almost. I booked an assigned balcony cabin (not GTY) and selected a high deck room. The balcony cabin # is still attached to my reservation.

They had 3 triple oceanview left on Friday located on deck 2 (2 cabins) and one cabin on deck 3. 

There is no access to know the inventory on the ship. I heard the first agent said they still have conceirge left after chatting with her for long time prior sending me to the escalation line.

The second agent has access to assign cabins, but for my particular case, she could only assign me oceanview and reviewed my other alternatives (e.g. cancel / shift and lift). Since I haven't discussed with my parents on the options, I said I will call back within 1 hr before they close.

After 1 hr, I called back, the third agent told me for any changes, they will need a backend agent. She told me I only got 1 downgrade option per my letter and she cannot go by the notes on my reservation. (My letter is downgrade from balcony to oceanview with $700 OBC).

My understanding is the option is set and they cannot deviate from it. No matter whether the compensation is fair or not. 

If you check the pricing for triple balcony with 3 perks vs oceanview with 3 perks, you will understand the difference is $1900 cad in oct 2024. They only offered $700 OBC and not even a reduction to my fare.  I can tell you a triple balcony fare is more than a double balcony fare for the 1 stateroom and now celebrity wants to keep the triple balcony fare for a triple oceanview room.

It's a nightmare.

So far for us nothing has changed. So  hopeful.  

It really is a mess

Edited by southwestie

58 minutes ago, pmarrsouth said:

How do you have access to this inventory?

I was able to look it up. Even to day it shows up under taylor made holidays.  Mine is. Northeast Asia cruise.   Its now showing only inside and ocean view. So hopefully  they have stopped cancelling.  But who knows. It's a real mess

12 minutes ago, southwestie said:

Looking today from my TA. Only inside and OV. Available.   This might be correct or it might be a fluke. You can try and book now.

May I ask what is your sailing date??

I ask because of I know of at least 2 linked bookings (one with 2 cabins and another with 6 cabins) that have had inside and ov cabins cancelled for half of their party.

Just now, anniegb said:

May I ask what is your sailing date??

I ask because of I know of at least 2 linked bookings (one with 2 cabins and another with 6 cabins) that have had inside and ov cabins cancelled for half of their party.

4th march 2024. I did see that

1 hour ago, southwestie said:

Hope it works out for you.

Thanks - I have escaped unscathed so far and I have a refundable air ticket.  Plans B and C are in place.

The cynic in me thinks they have treated the linked bookings in the manner they have hoping to release more cabins if the whole linked booking cancels.

I appeciate as a solo, I could not obtain my pricing in the current market place for Japan by cruise ship.

To end on a positive note, I know organising a land trip to Japan to make use of non-refundable air tickets is not difficult( I have done it)  and possibly more relaxing.  Just use the Ta-q-bin service.

28 minutes ago, anniegb said:

Thanks - I have escaped unscathed so far

I had no idea whether or not my May 27th cruise would have been impacted eventually, so I just decided to switch away from Japan and over to Greece, and pay the $200 charge. Too much to worry about with this situation.

Plus, the money we will save on airfare ($400-500 each), Tokyo hotels for 5 nights before/afterwards ($700-800), and very expensive shore excursions, allows us to have 3 extra days pre-cruise in Athens, plus 5 extra days post-cruise in Rome.

And, the replacement Athens/Israel/Egypt/Turkey cruise is almost 2 months earlier (early April versus late May) than the Japan cruise was.

There’s also the fact that my wife has been putting the bug in my ear that she wants to see visit Israel soon.

I’m more than happy with this decision.

Edited by tscoffey
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, anniegb said:

Thanks - I have escaped unscathed so far and I have a refundable air ticket.  Plans B and C are in place.

The cynic in me thinks they have treated the linked bookings in the manner they have hoping to release more cabins if the whole linked booking cancels.

I appeciate as a solo, I could not obtain my pricing in the current market place for Japan by cruise ship.

To end on a positive note, I know organising a land trip to Japan to make use of non-refundable air tickets is not difficult( I have done it)  and possibly more relaxing.  Just use the Ta-q-bin service.

You have been treated badly.  And I hope you get a trip sorted and have a wonderful  time. Your right about releasing more cabins.

Edited by southwestie

12 minutes ago, tscoffey said:

I had no idea whether or not my May 27th cruise would have been impacted eventually, so I just decided to switch away from Japan and over to Greece, and pay the $200 charge. Too much to worry about with this situation.

Plus, the money we will save on airfare ($400-500 each), Tokyo hotels for 5 nights before/afterwards ($700-800), and very expensive shore excursions, allows us to have 3 extra days pre-cruise in Athens, plus 5 extra days post-cruise in Rome.

And, the replacement Athens/Israel/Egypt/Turkey cruise is almost 2 months earlier (early April versus late May) than the Japan cruise was.

There’s also the fact that my wife has been putting the bug in my ear that she wants to see visit Israel soon.

I’m more than happy with this decision.

Enjoy rome. There is a fantastic hotel 20 mins bus ride from the center

A roma.  

On 4/20/2023 at 11:03 PM, hubofhockey said:

Thank you for answering my question.  I had booked 4/21/24 cruise and that is just about sold out.  I canceled and moved to 5/15/24, which has much more cabins that aren't booked yet.  Just wanted to double check.  

We are on this one. All Veranda are now showing sold out. Really hope it doesn’t get cancelled as will be booking flights soon

7 minutes ago, pmarrsouth said:

In reality, no of us here will know that for definite. Its also possible that X do not know it themselves...

Let me restate my question: when's the last time we received a report from someone having just been notified that their booking has been cancelled?

5 minutes ago, Belgian fry said:

Friday, I think

When I scanned the thread, I noted Posts 326 & 338 (Fri).  The reports were the most recent but it was not clear how old their actual cancellation notice was.  I presume nothing was sent out over the weekend.  Let' see what today brings. Hopefully nothing.

5 hours ago, anniegb said:

No worries.

Good luck today - keep us posted.

Annie

I got lift and shift to mid sept 2024 sailing (from mid oct 2023). The Oct 6 sailing only has obstructed balcony left (mine is unobstructed). I understand sept is super rainy season, but still better traveling in oceanview. 

Just now, wahwah1 said:

I got lift and shift to mid sept 2024 sailing (from mid oct 2023). The Oct 6 sailing only has obstructed balcony left (mine is unobstructed). I understand sept is super rainy season, but still better traveling in oceanview. 

Thanks for letting us know.

As long as you are happy - enjoy.

Annie