Japan 2024 canceled…

Tarwood3

just got a phone call from Celebrity….  Japan next spring has been canceled on Millenium.  Rep told us Millenium won’t be in Japan at all??  So I guess that means a lot of cruises will be canceled.  Offered us 2025, but we already have an Oceania 20 day Asia cruise booked…so doesn’t work for us.  We were offered a pathetic $450 future cruise credit which has to be used within one year…again, terrible.  

Not surprised at all.  As long as more than a year out you can't have any international air booked.  Understand disappointment by I keep saying one needs to be flexible or stay home.

We aren't pleased that American Airlines cancelled a flight that now requires us to overnight in Chicago.  The offer was to refund what I paid last May.  Fare has gone up $800.  Are staying in Chicago on our $$.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, omeinv said:

I just got off the phone with Celebrity.  The cruises are NOT cancelled, they are OVERSOLD, so they are having to cancel and re-book certain people. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Oversold a year in advance? How does that work? They expect that no one will cancel in the interim?

Not doubting you, just wondering how this works...seems a bit weird...

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

Oversold a year in advance? How does that work? They expect that no one will cancel in the interim?

9 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Not what the OP was told.  Something strange is definitely going on……

I spoke directly with the Concierge desk. 

It's oversold this far out because the itinerary has been cancelled in 2020, 2022, 2022, and 2023.  People with bookings were allowed to lift & shift, which created an extremely large number of bookings on these cruises.

Harris

Denver, CO

Edited by omeinv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 7

4 minutes ago, omeinv said:

The OP is getting their information through their travel agent.  I spoke directly with the Concierge desk. 

It's oversold this far out because the itinerary has been cancelled in 2020, 2022, 2022, and 2023.  People with bookings were allowed to lift & shift, which created an extremely large number of bookings on these cruises.

Harris

Denver, CO

Read the OP’s post again.  It said tge call came from Celebrity, not a TA

23 minutes ago, omeinv said:

I just got off the phone with Celebrity.  The cruises are NOT cancelled, they are OVERSOLD, so they are having to cancel and re-book certain people. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Did they give any indication of which “certain people” might have to be canceled and re-booked? I hope we hear something definitive pretty soon.

Edited by nwcruiselover
Misspelling

Just now, nwcruiselover said:

Did they give any indication of which “certain people” might have to be canceled and re-booked? I hope we hear something definitive pretty soon.

No.  I have no idea how they are making that decision.  I can conceive of any number of methods, and none of them are going to avoid upsetting the affected passengers. I was really hopeful the fifth time was going to be the charm, so my fingers are crossed. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, omeinv said:

No.  I have no idea how they are making that decision.  I can conceive of any number of methods, and none of them are going to avoid upsetting the affected passengers. I was really hopeful the fifth time was going to be the charm, so my fingers are crossed. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Yikes! It looks like this is going to be one giant can of worms for all concerned...

1 hour ago, dlh015 said:

The switch from Solstice to Millie, not as many cabins so they are NOW oversold. There are a few hundred less cabins on the Millie and it is quite possible they have indeed oversold a number of the sailings. I saw a list of oversold sailings on a facebook group and they are reaching out to those affected. We are on the TransPac 9/15 and have lifted and shifted this cruise 4 times. If I get cancelled, without the ability to lift and shift again, I will be pretty peeved (we got our cabin for a steal in 2019 and the prices are now triple for a Sky Suite). Keeping my fingers crossed as we have been fully paid since December of 2019.

Edited by neverlaysup
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, nwcruiselover said:

From the Facebook posts, they oversold the Verandas, or so they say. I also heard (cannot confirm), that Japan is requiring a certain number of empty cabins on each sailing for COVID issues.

26 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

The switch from Solstice to Millie, not as many cabins so they are NOW oversold. There are a few hundred less cabins on the Millie and it is quite possible they have indeed oversold a number of the sailings. I saw a list of oversold sailings on a facebook group and they are reaching out to those affected. We are on the TransPac 9/15 and have lifted and shifted this cruise 4 times. If I get cancelled, without the ability to lift and shift again, I will be pretty peeved (we got our cabin for a steal in 2019 and the prices are now triple for a Sky Suite). Keeping my fingers crossed as we have been fully paid since December of 2019.

Nasty. Just terrible.

Good luck to you and all concerned!

So passengers that were covid-cancelled in 2020 thru 2022 get right of first refusal on a similar sailing in 2024? 

Getting concerned for my inside cabin, May 27th sailing. I paid my deposit on November 19th, 2022, so I wonder where we would fall in line for being cancelled.

I assume Celebrity is calling the earlier sailings first - so our turn for being cancelled could be coming soon?

Going to start looking at contingency sailings in the same time period, just in case we get the ax.

34 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Is this one cruise date or multiple cruise dates?  Which ones?

This table was posted by someone in the FB discussion of affected cruises where (some people cancelled) there are oversales

img_1_1681783961816.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1