Japan 2024 canceled…

Tarwood3

This situation is so annoying I am just sputtering.  So far no e-mails and no messages to either I-phone.  Post #25 indicates nine sailings are impacted.  But only three Lift and Shift alternatives are offered.  None would work for us.

Has anyone been able to determine any pattern of who is being cancelled?

On 4/18/2023 at 8:32 AM, WestLakeGirl said:

Not what the OP was told.  Something strange is definitely going on……

Celebrity always makes up stories as they go. If the cruise (or other routings around then) is still bookable then it obviously wasn't cancelled.

I wonder how customers are picked who get canned from a cruise due to oversales. Status? Price? Deposits?

Our two cruises around Japan were both cancelled ( 4/22 and 4/23).  When 4/23 was cancelled and 4/24 suggested, I told my husband that we should put Japan on hold for awhile as I just didn’t have a good feeling about it ( this was to celebrate our 50th anniversary) and we decided to book a cruise around Hawaii instead for this spring. Very glad we did.  I feel so bad for those who were cancelled again.  I can’t even imagine the frustration.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, madat said:

And of those three lift & shifts, one is not correct.  The sailing departing 18th Oct 2024 is to Singapore, not round trip from Tokyo.

It's a suggestion of an alternative cruise with two stops in Japan, it does not say it's a round trip of Japan. I assume people may research a trip before accepting it. Also I suspect the suggestions may be different for different cancelled cruises in other peoples emails.

Edited by JBare

45 minutes ago, vickykay said:

Our two cruises around Japan were both cancelled ( 4/22 and 4/23).  When 4/23 was cancelled and 4/24 suggested, I told my husband that we should put Japan on hold for awhile as I just didn’t have a good feeling about it ( this was to celebrate our 50th anniversary) and we decided to book a cruise around Hawaii instead for this spring. Very glad we did.  I feel so bad for those who were cancelled again.  I can’t even imagine the frustration.

Vicky,

When I saw first saw this thread, I immediately thought of you guys and wondered if you were affected. I’m very disappointed for you. I hope you both are doing well health-wise and otherwise. 

David

3 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

Celebrity always makes up stories as they go. If the cruise (or other routings around then) is still bookable then it obviously wasn't cancelled.

I wonder how customers are picked who get canned from a cruise due to oversales. Status? Price? Deposits?

Have no idea how they decide….that’s the frustrating thing ….zero transparency….virtually no explanations.  We booked 14mos ago…had a cabin assigned…we are elite plus.  They wouldn’t tell us how they decide or why.   When we pushed and asked 3 different ways, thats’ when the concierge rep said everyone is canceled and Millenium won’t be in Japan.  If this isnt true, not sure why she would say this?    We have moved on….we have other cruises booked (not on X) and will try Japan for Cherry Blossoms again one day.  It’s really only one week, maybe 2, that you can see Cherry Blossom FEstivals….so that’s the frustrating part….   We have friends also on the cruise who were supposed to have gotten a  call at 9am yesterday, and the rep never called them back.  They will try again today and are armed with all the questions we asked and see what answers they get….??

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

If it is oversold they will not simply cancel some people but ask for volunteers to switch to other sailings or cancel voluntarily with some benefits.This will work with one year out, I don`t understand this panic. 

That is exactly what they are doing though. Cancelling some people randomly.

• Like 2

It seems as if the oversold sailings are the ones nearer to the annual Cherry blossom festival (late march, early April) . Since that is over by end of May when our sailing is, I'm hoping that ours is less likely to be oversold, and that we won't be canceled. 

1 hour ago, vickykay said:

Hi David,

When, both doing well.  Terry is recovered from his back surgeries and we’re both looking forward to boarding the Eclispe in May.  When is your next cruise?

Vicky,

Good to hear that all is well.

In the next 12 months we have 11 night Galapagos cruise-tour (Xpedition) in Nov followed by a 12 night Singapore to Hong Kong (Solstice) over Christmas/NYE.  Then 14 night Panama Canal (Summit) in Apr 2024.

Your May cruise is not that far away, I hope you both have a great time on Eclipse.

David

39 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

If it is oversold they will not simply cancel some people but ask for volunteers to switch to other sailings or cancel voluntarily with some benefits.This will work with one year out, I don`t understand this panic. 

Are you speaking from experience as to what they will/will not do?  Are you sailing on any of the Japan cruises affected?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

Not true.  I am on the 10/23/24 sailing in which people have had their bookings cancelled and I was never contacted to see if I was willing to volunteer to lift and shift.  I actually would have considered it.  That is what the cruise line should have done to begin with.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tscoffey said:

It seems as if the oversold sailings are the ones nearer to the annual Cherry blossom festival (late march, early April) . Since that is over by end of May when our sailing is, I'm hoping that ours is less likely to be oversold, and that we won't be canceled. 

Nope, I am on the 10/24/23 sailing and it is also impacted.

The “panic” is that every Millennium cruise, starting with the Trans Pacific to Tokyo on September 15, 2023 is affected.   Passengers are being cancelled totally at random, with absolutely no logic or recourse.  I feel like a fish in a barrel, nervous to open my email about a cruise only 5 months away.    Flights, tours and hotels have been booked in most cases.   It’s mayhem!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JBare said:

It's a suggestion of an alternative cruise with two stops in Japan, it does not say it's a round trip of Japan. I assume people may research a trip before accepting it. Also I suspect the suggestions may be different for different cancelled cruises in other peoples emails.

BUT they list the Oct 18, 2024 as a 12 day cruise and it is not.  It is an 11 day cruise.  You would think they would get the simple facts correct.

• Like 1

I'm still waiting on a call-back from Celebrity Resolutions Team about the cancelled three of our six bookings.  It can take 3-5 business days for an update.     I'm feeling incredibly stressed.  How can half of the linked reservations be randomly cancelled?!?  They are still showing as "booked" online.

1 hour ago, Saab4444 said:

If you will read this thread you will see that that is NOT what  Celebrity is doing. They are canceling people — involuntarily bumping them from the cruise.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Larasmum said:

I'm still waiting on a call-back from Celebrity Resolutions Team about the cancelled three of our six bookings.  It can take 3-5 business days for an update.     I'm feeling incredibly stressed.  How can half of the linked reservations be randomly cancelled?!?  They are still showing as "booked" online.

Have you tried calling the number they provided?  Maybe try this one - Consumer Outreach at (800) 556-8209 Option 2 for Service.        

1 hour ago, Saab4444 said:

No you’re wrong…this is not how it’s working….they just called and said “you’re cancelled”….do you want to go in 2025…no? Ok…you get $450…bye.”  That was it in short.  She was very evasive in answering questions and then said everyone is canceled….so there you go…