Japan 2024 canceled…

Tarwood3

13 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

Have you tried calling the number they provided?  Maybe try this one - Consumer Outreach at (800) 556-8209 Option 2 for Service.        

I called the number provided as soon as I heard the news.    They escalated the case to the Resolutions Team.   Since then I've also spoken to the Engagement Team and they confirmed that it is with the supervisor on the Resolutions Team.    The waiting is so hard!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saab4444 said:

If it is oversold they will not simply cancel some people but ask for volunteers to switch to other sailings or cancel voluntarily with some benefits.This will work with one year out, I don`t understand this panic. 

...says someone who obviously hasn't read the earlier posts...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Everyone on this thread is hysterically assuming that the cancellations are random. It is very unlikely that this is the case. Celebrity is probably cancelling the most recent bookings first, the lowest loyalty level customers, taking into consideration the number of times a passenger has been lifted and shifted for the same itinerary, and other such relevant criteria.

Considering the thousands of people who booked these cruises, hearing about 20 or 30 getting bumped does not concern me. Those cruises with cabins available are still showing on the website. Those cruises that are sold out do not show up. That’s how the celebrity website works.

And just because one angry customer misheard a representative tell her that “all of Japan is canceled” when the representative likely never said that, it doesn’t mean we should believe it. This is the Internet, after all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RichardRahl said:

Everyone on this thread is hysterically assuming that the cancellations are random.

I think the hysteria you referred to is from the lack of transparency and communication on what criterion/criteria is actually being applied.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, RichardRahl said:

Everyone on this thread is hysterically assuming that the cancellations are random. It is very unlikely that this is the case. Celebrity is probably cancelling the most recent bookings first, the lowest loyalty level customers, taking into consideration the number of times a passenger has been lifted and shifted for the same itinerary, and other such relevant criteria.

Considering the thousands of people who booked these cruises, hearing about 20 or 30 getting bumped does not concern me. Those cruises with cabins available are still showing on the website. Those cruises that are sold out do not show up. That’s how the celebrity website works.

And just because one angry customer misheard a representative tell her that “all of Japan is canceled” when the representative likely never said that, it doesn’t mean we should believe it. This is the Internet, after all.

What makes you think it is “20 or 30” affected cruisers. I believe from just looking at roll calls now a days, that it is pretty easy to assume that the  number of passengers using CruiseCritic is tiny compared to years ago. When roll calls used to be dozens of pages long, it is not uncommon now to participate in a roll call that may end up in single digits by sailing time. I personally believe the number of affected passengers is many times the 20 to 30 you suggest, just from speculating how few people continue to use the this resource. 

I, like many others, have been trying to get to Japan since being cancelled in 2021. And then ‘22, and then ‘23. Hoping out loud that we finally get to visit in ‘24 isn’t exhibiting hysteria, but rather sharing similar concerns with others in the same boat, figuratively.

• Like 1

Just wondering.... how does a cruise become overbooked?  Since most bookings are for specific cabins, I'm guessing the problem is that they sold too many Guaranteed cabins?  Is there some other possible explanation?

42 minutes ago, RichardRahl said:

Celebrity is not cancelling the most recent bookings.  We were originally booked on a March 2022 sailing on the Silhouette, which was cancelled due to Covid.  We were then offered the lift and shift option for March, 2024, on the Millennium, which we booked. So, our veranda cabin (not a guarantee) has been reserved since March, 2022.  We received our notification of our booking being cancelled yesterday.  Celebrity provided a chart that shows that all of the fall, 2023 to spring, 2024 Japan sailings are affected.  So it’s some kind of major glitch in their reservation system.  Our TA is reaching out to the Celebrity rep that they deal with, to see what happened.  In the meantime, their offer to lift and shift to March, 2025 doesn’t look too promising since on the Celebrity website those Japan itineraries already show veranda categories as sold out 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, clojacks said:

What makes you think it is “20 or 30” affected cruisers. I believe from just looking at roll calls now a days, that it is pretty easy to assume that the  number of passengers using CruiseCritic is tiny compared to years ago. When roll calls used to be dozens of pages long, it is not uncommon now to participate in a roll call that may end up in single digits by sailing time. I personally believe the number of affected passengers is many times the 20 to 30 you suggest, just from speculating how few people continue to use the this resource. 

I, like many others, have been trying to get to Japan since being cancelled in 2021. And then ‘22, and then ‘23. Hoping out loud that we finally get to visit in ‘24 isn’t exhibiting hysteria, but rather sharing similar concerns with others in the same boat, figuratively.

I agree with your comments regarding Cruise Critic.  The number of people who look at Cruise Critic are a very small sampling of overall cruisers.  We find very few people who have even heard of Cruise Critic when we mention it.  So, if there are this many posts on thus forum, then I expect the numbers affected are significant 

• Like 2

While waiting for my next appointment, I decided to look over at the roll calls to see just how many people have reported being canceled. There have been cancellations on October 12, October 24, November 5, March 4, March 16, March 28, April 9 (3)

One poster reported that they had six cabins booked (linked) and three were canceled

Some were guarantee cabins but some had specific state rooms. At least one reported that he was elite plus.

Some booked quite a while ago, others more recently

And two people reported being told that the ship would not be going to Japan this year at all.

Edited by WestLakeGirl
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

While waiting for my next appointment, I decided to look over at the roll calls to see just how many people have reported being canceled. There have been cancellations on October 12, October 24, November 5, March 4, March 16, March 28, April 9 (3)

One poster reported that they had six cabins booked (linked) and three were canceled

Some were guarantee cabins but some had specific state rooms. At least one reported that he was elite plus.

Some booked quite a while ago, others more recently

And two people reported being told that the ship would not be going to Japan this year at all.

I really don't know what factors went into their decision or formula.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Judy Arthur said:

Yes, the randomness of all these unfortunate cancellations looks to be the only logical explanation.    I wonder how/when we can ascertain when we are out of cancellation danger, and resume making our plans? 🚢 

We should be booking flights but we don’t dare. Cancellation conditions are very harsh in Europe. But the longer we leave it, the more expensive our flights will be…

10 minutes ago, Judy Arthur said:

Yes, the randomness of all these unfortunate cancellations looks to be the only logical explanation.    I wonder how/when we can ascertain when we are out of cancellation danger, and resume making our plans? 🚢 

We had just booked our flights 2 days before we got the cancellation notice from Celebrity!  We haven’t done anything about cancelling the flights yet.  Considering just flying to Japan anyway and doing our own land-only tour.  Cruising around Japan doesn’t appear to be a strong possibility anymore 

6 hours ago, Tarwood3 said:

Have no idea how they decide….that’s the frustrating thing ….zero transparency….virtually no explanations.  We booked 14mos ago…had a cabin assigned…we are elite plus.  They wouldn’t tell us how they decide or why.   When we pushed and asked 3 different ways, thats’ when the concierge rep said everyone is canceled and Millenium won’t be in Japan.  If this isnt true, not sure why she would say this?    We have moved on….we have other cruises booked (not on X) and will try Japan for Cherry Blossoms again one day.  It’s really only one week, maybe 2, that you can see Cherry Blossom FEstivals….so that’s the frustrating part….   We have friends also on the cruise who were supposed to have gotten a  call at 9am yesterday, and the rep never called them back.  They will try again today and are armed with all the questions we asked and see what answers they get….??

Honestly, as someone in Japan I strongly recommend to not experience the Sakura season by method of cruising but instead move by train between 3-4 regions in Japan with plenty of time in each.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Royal Caribbean Spectrum has a nice itinerary from Tokyo to Singapore, leaving October 1, 2023.  I’m going on it, regardless, plus the Back to Back 3 night itinerary afterward.   Accommodation in Singapore is expensive, so we thought this a good plan.

2 hours ago, mnocket said:

Just wondering.... how does a cruise become overbooked?  Since most bookings are for specific cabins, I'm guessing the problem is that they sold too many Guaranteed cabins?  Is there some other possible explanation?

Ship changed for Solstice at 2,852 passengers to Millennium at 2,138 passengers. So there is the problem

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RichardRahl said:

So are you calling me a liar?  We asked 3 times ( and were not angry and nasty on the phone)…just trying to clarification on how they decided to cancel us.  We booked 14mos ago and are elite plus…..hard to believe they have been taking reservations stil for the last year and Im one of the first to go?  

In addition,  we asked 3 different ways about the cancellation ….finally after the 3rd time, that’s when she told us “MIllenium isn’t even going to be in Japan next year and everyone is being canceled…and she’s the one who the original email came from…the Concierge team spearheading this problem.  

So please don’t imply I was a crazy Lady (im a guy btw) and misheard what the rep said.  We are very savvy travelers and very detail oriented….  Do I believe completely they are all canceled…not really…but why did she say that and why can’t they explain to us why we were canceled.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jeansplace said:

Ship changed for Solstice at 2,852 passengers to Millennium at 2,138 passengers. So there is the problem

But this wasn’t even changed recently.  Maybe a couple years ago it was Solstice during Covid…but when we booked 14mos ago…it was Millenium and we chose the cabin we wanted of those that were available