Is Mt McKinley worth going too? A few other questions about Princess Cruises...

dragonflywoods

Hello all,

I am researching for our very first Alaska cruise next summer, but have a few questions.

I am looking at a few different itineraries. Some include Mt McKinley, it doesn't appear that there is much there, am I wrong? Would it be better to have 3 days in Denali, instead of 2 days Denali and 1 day in Mt. McKinley?

We are looking at Princess Cruises. Can someone explain the difference between on your own and the Denali Explorer itineraries?

What is the difference between the "Direct to the wilderness Rail" and the "Princess Rail'?

I have been reading some of the posts and I believe what I am discovering is... for the cruisetours that the hotel and ride part is covered for the land part, but the food is not covered, is this correct?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

There's nothing at Mt. McKinley lodge.  I've stopped there a couple of times for an espresso driving between Fairbanks and Anchorage.  It's in the middle of nowhere and you are pretty much forced to eat, drink, and recreate a la Princess.  

I won't be the last to say this, but why don't you rent a car and do it yourself?  There's only one road, so it's not like you can get lost.  There's so much of interest between Whittier and Denali that you whiz by in a bus.  Eat where and when you want.  Stop for flora and fauna.  Shop with locals at the grocery store.  Enjoy the serenity of Alaska without 50 other people jabbering and complaining constantly (I'm not a fan of bus tours).  Discover Alaska instead of having it force fed to you.  It takes some extra planning, but you won't regret it.

• Like 2

While the Denali Princess Lodge is located near the entrances Denali National Park (so other businesses are located nearby) the McKinley Princess is located off of the George Parks Hwy with nothing located within walking distance.

We have stayed at the McKinley Princess several times as it is a good property to stop at when driving between our home in Fairbanks and Seward.  There are a few walking paths (I would not describe them as hiking trails).  When you walk into the main lodge I am often struck by the number of people sitting around looking bored.  There is a shuttle to Talkeetna which is about 45 minutes away.  Some folks use the laundry facilities.

All of the cruise land tours look so herded.  All attractions on those land packages can be booked on your own.  Seriously consider a DIY land tour.

3 hours ago, dragonflywoods said:

What is the difference between the "Direct to the wilderness Rail" and the "Princess Rail'?

"Princess Rail" is a marketing term used by Tour Alaska, LLC, to describe all of its passenger railcar operations. Tour Alaska, LLC, owns several passenger railcars, all of which are double deck "Ultra Dome" cars, and it employs crews that provide passenger services on those cars. The trains that utilize these railcars are the "Denali Express," described below, and the "McKinley Explorer," which operates between Anchorage and Denali National Park. "Princess Rail" may also be used to describe a charter train, the "McKinley Express," described below, which does not use Tour Alaska, LLC, cars (and therefore would not truly be a "Princess Rail" operation), but which Princess Cruises and Holland America Line sell tickets. Tour Alaska, LLC, is not, itself, a railroad company, but it contracts with the Alaska Railroad, a division of the State of Alaska, to haul its railcars. Tour Alaska, LLC, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Carnival Corporation.

"Direct to the Wilderness" is a marketing term used by Tour Alaska, LLC, to describe two distinct passenger rail transportation services that operate between the cruise vessel port in Whittier used by Princess Cruises and Holland America Line and either McKinley station, near the community of Talkeetna, Alaska, or Denali National Park station. These services are characterized as "direct" because they both pass through the city of Anchorage, without requiring passengers to change trains, or to stay overnight, at the Anchorage station. The "Denali Express" train travels to and from Denali National Park station, and utilizes Princess Rail double deck "Ultra Dome" cars. The "McKinley Express" train travels to and from McKinley station, and utilizes Alaska Railroad single deck "Panorama Dome" cars provided by the railroad pursuant to a charter contract. The McKinley station is at a remote highway crossing south of Talkeetna, and buses operated by Royal Hyway Tours, Inc., another wholly owned subsidiary of Carnival Corporation, transfers passengers between the station and the Princess Wilderness Lodge, also near Talkeetna.

All of the land services owned and operated by Carnival Corporation subsidiaries are known collectively as "HAP Alaska," the acronym "HAP" referring to "Holland America Princess."

Finally, note that there are several other passenger rail services operated along the same tracks as the two trains described above, using cars owned by the Alaska Railroad and another private company, Premier Alaska Tours, Inc. (which uses the marketing term "Wilderness Express"). All trains are operated by the Alaska Railroad, regardless if specific cars are owned by the railroad or by a private company.

Edited by GTJ

It's normally absolutely worth it, but right now with the park road closed midway through due to the 2021 rock slide I personally don't think it's worth it. My best experience at Denali has been taking the road the full length past Mile 43, where it's currently closed. You won't be able to get to Wonder Lake or see some of the best sights on the road. Right now they're saying the park road will be closed "through summer 2024" so I'm planning on waiting until 2025 to book anything again at Denali. Without the full experience it will be a really watered down visit. 

Here's where the closure info is at and they specifically say: 

The closure of the Denali Park Road at Mile 43 is expected to remain in place through summer 2024, while the Polychrome Area Plan is implemented: https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

Edited by goldenfarm