Flam Must Do Excursions?

Looking at 3 excursions in Flam, Norway

1. Flåm Railway Roundtrip

2. Two hour Nærøyfjord Cruise to Gudvangen and Bus Back to Flam

3.  Stegastein Viewpoint

I've built an itinerary via private tour company that could possible do all 3 but the times are very tight and one late segment ruins the whole thing. So I am coming to the realization that I'm only going to be able to choose 2 of the 3 listed above.

However, I'm torn on which of the 2 are the must do and which one to drop.

Which 2 would you pick and why?

Thanks

1 hour ago, NightOne said:

Looking at 3 excursions in Flam, Norway

1. Flåm Railway Roundtrip

2. Two hour Nærøyfjord Cruise to Gudvangen and Bus Back to Flam

3.  Stegastein Viewpoint

I've built an itinerary via private tour company that could possible do all 3 but the times are very tight and one late segment ruins the whole thing. So I am coming to the realization that I'm only going to be able to choose 2 of the 3 listed above.

However, I'm torn on which of the 2 are the must do and which one to drop.

Which 2 would you pick and why?

Thanks

Flam RR would be my strong #1. The other two: decide if you prefer viewing the incredible area from the water or from the mountain. Both are great!

• Like 1

The Flåm railway is my #1.

I also believe that three excursions may be too much - whether it should be the Nærøyfjord Cruise or Stegastein Viewpoint depends on what options are available in the other ports of call.

On your cruise, you will not navigate Nærøyfjord but Aurlandsfjord, which makes up half of the #2 Nærøyfjord Cruise - be on deck early in the morning and enjoy the fjord sailing. 
if no other viewpoints possible at the other ports of call I’ll suggest #3 Stegastein Viewpoint.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, janetcbl said:

Flam RR would be my strong #1. The other two: decide if you prefer viewing the incredible area from the water or from the mountain. Both are great!

Curious what you like about the railway that you put it #1?

It is a 20-kilometer-long railway that runs between Flåm and the high-altitude station of Myrdal on the Bergen Line.

The Flåm railway is considered one of the most scenic train journeys in the world, offering stunning views of the surrounding landscape, including waterfalls, steep mountainsides, and the Aurlandsfjord.
It is also famous for its engineering, as the railway includes 20 tunnels and several bridges, and has a gradient of 1 in 18, making it one of the steepest railway lines in the world.

Tickets for the train must be purchased in advance as the train sells out.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, hallasm said:

The Flåm railway is my #1.

I also believe that three excursions may be too much - whether it should be the Nærøyfjord Cruise or Stegastein Viewpoint depends on what options are available in the other ports of call.

On your cruise, you will not navigate Nærøyfjord but Aurlandsfjord, which makes up half of the #2 Nærøyfjord Cruise - be on deck early in the morning and enjoy the fjord sailing. 
if no other viewpoints possible at the other ports of call I’ll suggest #3 Stegastein Viewpoint.

A big issue I am having with the Nærøyfjord Cruise is FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) I have seen videos/photos of both the Nærøyfjord Cruise and the Stegastein Viewpoint and although photos probably don't do either justice the Stegastein Viewpoint looks like it would be breath taking. (seeing Fjords from the top would be different as well). Not sure how the Nærøyfjord Cruise would be but doesn't look breath taking in the videos. (again hard to tell video vs real life)

Researching other ports I am going to it looks like Lysefjord cruise is an easy option from Stavanger. Hardangerfjord from Bergen is an option too. So there will be other options to cruise on a small boat in a fjord. But are those even a fair comparison to Nærøyfjord?

Sadly, Geirangerfjord from Alesund is looking grim on the timing. Maybe the Troll Road excursion thingy might be a better option.

Also, I don't know if I get "fjorded out" after doing multiple fjord excursions. 

Pretty sure I am overthinking this but that is what I do. LOL

From Stavanger, Lysefjord is a good option. I would prioritize sights in Bergen over a trip out of the city.

Sailing in and out of Flåm is breathtaking - but take the time to be on the upper deck at sunrise (video below).

Since Stegastein is the only viewpoint in the deep fjords, it will be my recommendation over Nærøyfjord.

It is a long excursion from Ålesund to Geiranger - depends on the time of arrival/departure in Ålesund.

This video is ‘your way into Flåm’ from 4:30am 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, hallasm said:

From Stavanger, Lysefjord is a good option. I would prioritize sights in Bergen over a trip out of the city.

Sailing in and out of Flåm is breathtaking - but take the time to be on the upper deck at sunrise (video below).

Since Stegastein is the only viewpoint in the deep fjords, it will be my recommendation over Nærøyfjord.

It is a long excursion from Ålesund to Geiranger - depends on the time of arrival/departure in Ålesund.

This video is ‘your way into Flåm’ from 4:30am 

Ok, I'm convinced. #1 and #3 it is.

I actually have those 2 booked already through Royal Caribbean. 🙂

We are in Alesund for 10 hours (8-6) so there is time but all onboard is probably 5:30 which doesn't bode well for a 9 hour excursion with a 3rd party.

I haven't really even dug into activities in Bergen yet although I have seen stuff about a Funicular, a Fjords cruise, and city sightseeing tours.

4 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Have you checked prices at Norway’s Best for  Flåm Railway and Stegastein Viewpoint?
Might be better options.

I have definitely looked at them but they are not open for booking on my cruise yet. (Too early) 

The train is 50% cheaper via Norway's Best vs Royal excursion. Stegastein exursion is 63% cheaper.

That was the tour company that it technically possible to do all 3 excursions with but the schedule involves 20-25 minutes between each leg.

2 hours ago, NightOne said:

Curious what you like about the railway that you put it #1?

The amazing scenery, the incredible RR journey,  20km, 20 tunnels, about 2,000 feet descent or climb. Described by others as “ one of the most beautiful train journeys in the world.” I have been on it all four seasons, in rain, snow, sun etc., and it is awesome. Hard to fully describe. Google it, check Trip Advisor, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, janetcbl said:

The amazing scenery, the incredible RR journey,  20km, 20 tunnels, about 2,000 feet descent or climb. Described by others as “ one of the most beautiful train journeys in the world.” I have been on it all four seasons, in rain, snow, sun etc., and it is awesome. Hard to fully describe. Google it, check Trip Advisor, etc.

I actually chose my exact sailing for Flam and Geiranger, and I was quite happy with that decision after riding on the railway.  It also has beautiful stops along the way where you get out and look.  

In terms of Stegastein, the only issue is the weather.  I didn't get to that viewpoint (long story) but we were quite lucky with the weather in Geiranger and all the viewpoints were breathtaking.  If your private tour operator was going to take you to both, they might be flexible if they have space about what you do depending on what would be better in the weather.  In Olden, we switched the timing of the Loen Skylift and the Briksdal Glacier because the afternoon was clearer, and I felt having better weather was more important for the views from the top of the skylift.  We sailed in late May, so it was possible to switch at the last minute but might not be with your tours.  It's just something to ask if it would be really cloudy.  Of course the other excursion might not be ideal in cloudy weather either, so that might not help.  Either way Flam is amazing, and I hope you have a wonderful time there.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

I actually chose my exact sailing for Flam and Geiranger, and I was quite happy with that decision after riding on the railway.  It also has beautiful stops along the way where you get out and look.  

In terms of Stegastein, the only issue is the weather.  I didn't get to that viewpoint (long story) but we were quite lucky with the weather in Geiranger and all the viewpoints were breathtaking.  If your private tour operator was going to take you to both, they might be flexible if they have space about what you do depending on what would be better in the weather.  In Olden, we switched the timing of the Loen Skylift and the Briksdal Glacier because the afternoon was clearer, and I felt having better weather was more important for the views from the top of the skylift.  We sailed in late May, so it was possible to switch at the last minute but might not be with your tours.  It's just something to ask if it would be really cloudy.  Of course the other excursion might not be ideal in cloudy weather either, so that might not help.  Either way Flam is amazing, and I hope you have a wonderful time there.

We are traveling in Mid-July so hoping the weather will not be an issue. I did cancel our Royal excursions and will book with Norway's Best when it becomes available.

• Thanks 1