Aft Cabins on Alaska Cruise

junebug61

We have booked an Aft cabin for our Alaskan cruise in June 2024. I am having second thoughts about the location with regards to the scenery especially at Hubbard Glacier. Would we better off trying to book a cabin more towards the middle of the ship? 

1 hour ago, junebug61 said:

Thank you, I feel better now. I know Aft cabins are great for Caribbean cruises but I was not sure about a

Alaska.

I feel the exact opposite...Aft not necessary for Caribbean and aft wonderful for Alaska.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Ashland said:

I feel the exact opposite...Aft not necessary for Caribbean and aft wonderful for Alaska.

Yes, you're entitled to your preference.

We did a side balcony initially and then did the AFT, we won't go back to the side balcony.

Our favorite part of a Caribbean cruise is sailing away from the port we just visited and on to the next.

Love the sound of the Prop Wash too.

Leaving Grand Turk

GT.thumb.jpg.e929c49e72d72209c3919e8c019933f6.jpg

We got spoiled with an AFT wrap after I read about them 

Best of both worlds. See what's coming and going.

I won't book a cabin without a wrap now...

OP, You will love it!

• Like 1

I'm going to differ with most of the comments here.  I'm a solo traveler who did an aft balcony last June in Alaska for the first time.  The balcony was very deep making it larger than a side balcony; however, it's also a long way (relatively speaking) from the cabin to balcony rail.  Being that I'm always looking for whales and other wildlife to photograph (even from the ship), I was spending a lot of time walking from cabin out to the end of the balcony.

Also for photography reasons, I'm also very interested in knowing what is ahead of me.  The aft balcony was bad for that. 

This year its back to a side balcony for me.

On 4/21/2023 at 7:18 AM, junebug61 said:

We have booked an Aft cabin for our Alaskan cruise in June 2024. I am having second thoughts about the location with regards to the scenery especially at Hubbard Glacier. Would we better off trying to book a cabin more towards the middle of the ship? 

We have an aft for our cruise June 9 2024. Land tour prior to cruise.

we have had aft cabins twice before, once on Hawaii, once in Australia and have one more booked for New Zealand before our trip ro Alaska. 
we love them. No wind, large balcony and when you are in scenic areas the captain will turn the ship around so everyone gets to enjoy the view.

• Like 1

Did our first aft balcony to Alaska last September and loved it.  A little more motion for sure but what a spot, very enchanting.  Only comment is that on our ship the nearest elevator bank was quite a walk away, but good way to work off all the treats.

We had an aft cabin on our Alaskan cruise last August on the Celebrity Eclipse. We absolutely loved it, especially views sailing thru the inside passage. The only negative for this particular ship is there isn’t much of an overhang on the balcony. Here’s a shot of us sailing out of Vancouver as well as leaving Hubbard Glacier

F76C03A5-7EEE-47B6-8992-75D1D1BA364F.jpeg

BE2F564B-7EBB-412E-834E-BE79EFD54E63.jpeg

F3CC8662-67D2-48A6-9FE1-D4A6BC155A80.jpeg

ACBF8EEF-E457-4C89-8A5F-E91B7C3A4AB0.jpeg

Edited by Janedoe2012
  • Like 3