Cove balconies on Excel class ships

Astromaid

Our family is considering a cruise on Mardi Gras, two members are prone to sea sickness. They sailed with us on Magic and had some issues, I think we were on deck 7 or 8. I think that maybe a cove balcony might be a better choice for less motion. We sailed in a cove balcony years ago on Dream and were never able to sit out there because everything was covered in salt. We were somewhat forward, so I wondered if we were further back midship maybe we would not have a problem with salt. We just got back from Celebration and we were forward on deck 14 and often felt movement.

If prone to sea sickness you need to be mid ship and down on lower decks.  That's why I book only midship area. I wear a motion sickness bracelet and I also take Bonine as a back up. I haven't tried a Cove Balcony but they should be fine in that area.

I’ve had 5 cruises on the Mardi Gras, all in the same spa cove balcony, 5215. It is forward but the ship was so stable we still felt very little motion except on one trip back to port, seas were rough all over and it wasn’t even rocking much then. If you do book midship be careful to avoid staying under the galley if you’re a light sleeper. 

I was on a Cove balcony on Celebration earlier this year. Mid ship, wasn't really rocking and no salt. We booked one under the candy shop so there wouldn't be any noise but anywhere on deck 5 would be fine because we couldn't hear anything from above decks anywhere on the deck. Also I have hear from people who didn't hear any noise from the atrium show that was happening directly above their cabin.

Edited by CarnivalShips480
  • Like 1

The lower the deck and the more midship, the less motion.

Whether or not there is any spray depends on seas, wind, etc. We had the first cove all the way forward and not a drop. And there are beach towels in the room you can use to cover the chairs if you need to.

2 hours ago, CarnivalShips480 said:

I was on a Cove balcony on Celebration earlier this year. Mid ship, wasn't really rocking and no salt. We booked one under the candy shop so there wouldn't be any noise but anywhere on deck 5 would be fine because we couldn't hear anything from above decks anywhere on the deck. Also I have hear from people who didn't hear any noise from the atrium show that was happening directly above their cabin.

I am so glad to hear this. When I booked Celebration last month there was only 1 inside spa cabin left on deck 5. Looking at deck plans I'm against an elevator, a connecting room, and somewhat above Punchliner. I booked it hoping another cabin would become available or an upgrade, cruise isn't until Sept.

Just today I was considering calling and asking about upgrade options but now I'm not quites so worried seeing your post.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LatinaInTexas said:

I am so glad to hear this. When I booked Celebration last month there was only 1 inside spa cabin left on deck 5. Looking at deck plans I'm against an elevator, a connecting room, and somewhat above Punchliner. I booked it hoping another cabin would become available or an upgrade, cruise isn't until Sept.

Just today I was considering calling and asking about upgrade options but now I'm not quites so worried seeing your post.

We were in that area a couple weeks ago, were in a Cove Balcony, but apart from enjoying the balcony, deck 5 was an excellent location. We were able to “get to know” decks 6,7,8 very quickly and as a result thoroughly enjoyed the ship and all she had to offer. We are cruising on Celebration again in January, deck 5 again. Enjoy. Ship is lovely. 

• Thanks 1