Bermuda cruise and bringing beach umbrellas or shade canopy

Wksskier

I am on a Summit cruise to Bermuda in June.  I am seeing reports that at Horseshoe Bay there are limited beach umbrellas.  Seeing that my husband and I need shade does anyone know if we can bring beach umbrellas or shade canopies onboard to use at the beach.  We are not flying so it would be easy to just carry if allowed.  Thanks.

Carole

1 hour ago, Wksskier said:

Seeing that my husband and I need shade does anyone know if we can bring beach umbrellas or shade canopies onboard to use at the beach.  We are not flying so it would be easy to just carry if allowed.  Thanks.

I don't believe it is expressly forbidden but also it's not something that is in the mainstream. I think if you brought a reasonably sized umbrella in some sort of a carrying sleeve as a carry on you should be fine (although I would check directly with Celebrity to be sure). 

I guess it could happen, and most likely does, but we have never had a major issue getting a beach setup at Horseshoe Bay over a number of years, and changing concession operators, of going there. 

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

I guess it could happen, and most likely does, but we have never had a major issue getting a beach setup at Horseshoe Bay over a number of years, and changing concession operators, of going there. 

I never had a problem either but I arrive early. At 9:00 am. If they run out it must be later since until 11 there are plenty of large spaces and I still see umbrellas being set up. I have had people ask for my umbrella if I leave around 2. But if I leave around 3 or 4 never so I suspect that 12 to 2 might be when they could run out. Something I have heard is that the new concession operator did not have it together last season. The previous concessionaire had that issue his first year and made a big deal about ordering more umbrellas and chairs. Which did solve the issue but the government decided to bid out he concession again a couple of years ago and the new ones had big plans which were rejected for renovating the facilities. 

Something that people should be aware of that on windy days no one can rent umbrellas.The wind sucks them right up and they are dangerous missiles. I would say that 25% of the times I went to Horseshoe it was too windy for umbrellas. Someone I went to Bermuda solved that problem by bringing a pop out beach shade/tent. The wind did not grab that like it did beach umbrellas.

Edited by Charles4515

3 hours ago, Wksskier said:

I am on a Summit cruise to Bermuda in June.  I am seeing reports that at Horseshoe Bay there are limited beach umbrellas.  Seeing that my husband and I need shade does anyone know if we can bring beach umbrellas or shade canopies onboard to use at the beach.  We are not flying so it would be easy to just carry if allowed.  Thanks.

Carole

@jean87510 may be able to advise you on what you can bring. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Wksskier said:

Carole

Here's what we use.  Got it off of Amazon.  Worked well in Aruba which is the windiest island.  We don't have any issues because we don't put it near chairs the vendors are renting.  The picture I'm using is from Klein Bonaire.  Because of the tent, we stayed there for hours.

The tent weighs 3 lbs.  It's the little blue bag with gorich on it.  

Screenshot_20230328_065610.jpg

20230224_113048.jpg

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

We don't have any issues because we don't put it near chairs the vendors are renting. 

Horseshoe Bay is a public beach. People are allowed to bring tents like that and even their own chairs. I have seen similar tents at Horseshoe. All you need is to find an empty space. The emptyist areas of the beach are on the east end away from the facilities.

21 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Horseshoe Bay is a public beach. People are allowed to bring tents like that and even their own chairs. I have seen similar tents at Horseshoe. All you need is to find an empty space. The emptyist areas of the beach are on the east end away from the facilities.

that's exactly what we plan to do in October.  

• Like 1

I spoke to a cruise consultant at Celebrity and you are allowed to bring beach umbrellas or beach tents on the ship to be used at the beach.   Thanks for the tip on the beach tent.  This might work well for us in Aruba too as the winds are so strong and we are always looking for shade as we drive around.  I also found a foldable umbrella.  Lots of choice.  Thanks to everyone for the responses.

Carole

• Like 1