Bike excursions / Honolulu hotel / beach questions

poohbear8

Several questions, kinda related, so I’m putting them all together.

We will be on the Celebrity Solstice in September. My husband heard there is a bike ride that rides “in” a former volcano. I have seen bike excursions, but none describe it as riding “in”, most seem to be “ride up to, then look around”. We are stopping at Hilo, Kailua Kona, Lahaina, Maui, and end in Honolulu. Any suggestions on which tours to do or avoid? If not a tour, can you rent bikes in Honolulu? He wants to ride in Hawaii, as he is trying to ride in each state. 

After the cruise, we will be staying a few extra days in Honolulu (Oct 1-4). Pearl Harbor is a must. A hotel with Ocean view is important, while ocean front would be nice, not sure it is in the budget. Are there beaches that aren’t crazy crowded, but would not cost an arm and a leg to get to Pearl Harbor? Budget would be about $400 a night. 

We will likely do a luau. I have seen recommendations for the Polynesian Cultural center, but haven’t looked into it yet, so open to suggestions there too.

We live on the east coast, so this will be THE trip for now.

What island? The first volcano bike ride would probably be Haleakela on Maui. Famous down hill ride from the top. Or, if a serious rider, up from the bottom. Second might be Diamond Head on Oahu.

Waikiki is the place to stay. Many hotel recommendations here. The bus ride to Pearl will cost you about $5pp, round trip.

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

What island? The first volcano bike ride would probably be Haleakela on Maui. Famous down hill ride from the top. Or, if a serious rider, up from the bottom. Second might be Diamond Head on Oahu.

Waikiki is the place to stay. Many hotel recommendations here. The bus ride to Pearl will cost you about $5pp, round trip.

For the bike ride, any island we stop at. My husband would love the challenge of riding UP, I prefer down! 

I will look at the Waikiki hotels. I wasn’t sure if there was another beach area that was less crowded, but in an area we could still get to Pearl Harbor.

1 hour ago, poohbear8 said:

I will look at the Waikiki hotels. I wasn’t sure if there was another beach area that was less crowded, but in an area we could still get to Pearl Harbor.

Waikiki is the main squeeze in Honolulu. No other real alternatives. You could go to Ko Olina- there is a Four Seasons and the Disney resort there but you won’t save any money vs more economical options on Waikiki. 

If you have Marriott Bonvoy points (or can convert credit card points to Bonvoy) there’s some great redemption opportunities right on Waikiki beach. The top one would be The Royal Hawaiian, second place the Westin Moana Surfrider, and a distant third The Sheraton. All are on the beach. There are more economical options often discussed on other threads that are one or two blocks off the beach.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Waikiki is the main squeeze in Honolulu. No other real alternatives. You could go to Ko Olina- there is a Four Seasons and the Disney resort there but you won’t save any money vs more economical options on Waikiki. 

If you have Marriott Bonvoy points (or can convert credit card points to Bonvoy) there’s some great redemption opportunities right on Waikiki beach. The top one would be The Royal Hawaiian, second place the Westin Moana Surfrider, and a distant third The Sheraton. All are on the beach. There are more economical options often discussed on other threads that are one or two blocks off the beach.

We do have Marriott Points. I will look into that. Thank you!

On 4/22/2023 at 12:58 PM, poohbear8 said:

For the bike ride, any island we stop at. My husband would love the challenge of riding UP, I prefer down! 

The bike ride UP Haleakala is 36 miles and has an elevation change of over 10,000'. The ride down is "hairy".

On 4/22/2023 at 12:58 PM, poohbear8 said:

For Marriott hotels, start with the Royal Hawaiian and Moana Surfrider, then the Marriott Waikiki Beach. I would not look at the Sheraton or Princess Kaiulani.

For non Marriott look at the Hyatt Regency, Outrigger Reef, Outrigger Waikiki Beach, Twin Fin and Park Shore Waikiki.

17 hours ago, scottca075 said:

The bike ride UP Haleakala is 36 miles and has an elevation change of over 10,000'. The ride down is "hairy".

For Marriott hotels, start with the Royal Hawaiian and Moana Surfrider, then the Marriott Waikiki Beach. I would not look at the Sheraton or Princess Kaiulani.

For non Marriott look at the Hyatt Regency, Outrigger Reef, Outrigger Waikiki Beach, Twin Fin and Park Shore Waikiki.

Thank you so much! This gives me a good starting point!