Who has stayed in an inside cabin?

dopey1200

5 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I always say if that’s the only way you can go, go with an inside.  It’s better than staying home.  

Absolutely.  And if it means the difference between being able to go cruising once a year versus several times a year, the several times is definitely better.

Looks like I'm late to this discussion.  But, I have the perfect excuse.  I was cruising AK from April 15 to April 29.  😎

Back on topic.  Both weeks were in an inside and it was a great time.  We've sailed AK six times.  All were booked as insides.  Two changed to Balconies because the prices dropped so much that we were able to upgrade for less than $200 each time.  Did we enjoy the balcony?  Sure.  Would I pay much more than I did for a balcony?  Probably not, for many of the good reasons others have mentioned.  I do insist on a ship with a nice observation lounge though.  Our seventh is coming up, and I've submitted a minimum bid to upgrade (NCL).  What happens happens.

I have cruised Alaska several times in an inside cabin and had a wonderful time.   One huge advantage to me is that with the long days in Alaska, I can sleep better without the daylight coming through the windows.   Otherwise, we spend most of our time outside of the cabin so much prefer saving our money for amazing excursions

• Like 1

This will be my first time to Alaska not in a balcony, I'll be in a Solo cabin on NCL, and I'm not worried about it at all. Will be out and about everyday and out on deck.  While it's nice having a balcony for an Alaska cruise, I don't think it is a necessity.

Been to Alaska 6 times now. Once in a balcony, once in ov, and 4 insides. Honestly, for me, as much as a balcony is nice, I only go there to the cabin to sleep at night. Bring a nightlight though it gets dark in there. I’d rather spend the extra money saved on another cruise. 

Edited by sanders

On 4/24/2023 at 9:14 AM, dopey1200 said:

Thank you all for your responses. Even with the lower rate for an inside cabin, it's just not going to happen right now. Unfortunately the airfare from Cincinnati to the west coast is at least $1000 per person right now. That's more than the cruise fare itself. We'll get to Alaska some day though and now I know that we'll be able to do an inside cabin!☹️

Hello from fellow Cincinnatian.

My DH and I have done 8 Alaska cruises. First couple were in balcony cabins, then we switched to inside cabins for the savings. As others have said, best views are out on the decks.  Some ships have better viewing locations than others.

Yes the airfare from Cincinnati is a killer, but so is the return trip.  Seattle flights are a little easier, but I don’t like the itinerary for round trip Seattle. 

We have not cruised since COVID, and I am still anxious about being on a large ship.  I was just looking at some itineraries, but the flights turned me off.  Several times we took red eyes home.  Now that we’re in our early 70s, don’t want to do that any more.

• Like 1