Who has stayed in an inside cabin?

dopey1200

We usually have no problems staying in an inside cabin to save money (we don't have unlimited funds), but we're really wanting to cruise to Alaska and I feel like we at least need a window. It seems like you'd miss a lot by being inside for Alaska, but obviously plenty of people do it. The only time we are ever in our cabin is for sleeping and showering, but I still feel like I'd be missing out on something. So, who has stayed inside and did you regret it? 

I stayed in an inside cabin once in Alaska.  It was fine.  IIRC, I was on the promenade deck and could get outside pretty easily and quickly.  Having said that, now I only do balconies.  I have to shop pretty hard to get a decent rate on a solo balcony, but it can be done.

• Like 1

I stayed in an inside on the Jewel a few years ago from Vancouver to Seward. I did not feel it took away from the experience at all. I spent most of my time at the Great Outdoors at the rear of ship with good views and easy access to alcohol and food. For Glacier Bay I was out on the bow. As a solo I just don’t spend enough time out on the balcony to justify the cost increase. 

Edited by JAFA13
  • Like 4

I have had everything from insides to suites. And would do any type of cabin again. There was one time when Princess first came out with Platinum and Elite, we were wandering around the ship. The few Elite individuals on the ship were mostly in outside cabins (not balconies). Cruises were more expensive back then.

Alaska is expensive. If I had to choose between having a great cabin or great shore excursions. I would choose great shore excursions and being in an inside cabin.

I would pick a ship with a lot of outside decks and plan on spending a lot of time out there. You can move around and not be confined to the view from your specific cabin.

• Like 6

I don't do balconies anymore. Never know what the weather is going to be. I put the money into excursions instead of a cabin. Plenty of public places to enjoy the views. No regrets getting an inside cabin.

• Like 6

Balcony is great if you can afford it but I’d save my money for excursions too! Take clothes that you can layer, gloves scarves, hats, warm boots. Also find a great place on the ship that’s comfortable and warm, big windows, food/ coffee close by and camp out there…Alaska is spectacular! Don’t forget binoculars!

• Like 3

I've cruised Alaska in an interior stateroom many times, I prefer to put the funds towards some amazing excursions. Never a regret! I sail in balcony rooms in Europe and the Caribbean so for me it's not a one size fits all. 

Patty 

• Like 4

Have cruised to Alaska numerous times with balcony and inside cabins.  Cabin choice is a personal decision so do what you feel works best for you and your budget.  Alaska excursions are expensive there is no doubt about that.  Balconies can also be subject to weather --- if it rains a lot or is very cold temperature wise, you might not get a lot of use out of it.  We like to take pictures so we roam about the ship looking at wildlife and landscapes.  From the balcony, we can't jump from side to side if things are happening.  However, if outside, we just run to the other side of the ship to snap that photo we want. 

Whatever you decide, hope you have a great trip -- Alaska is beautiful.

• Like 2

I have never had a balcony on numerous cruises in Alaska.  I roam the outside decks camera in hand and watch the people.  When they start pointing or sound excited, I head in that direction.  Plus, I've spent enough time on board to know where the whales or bears are likely to be hanging out (I keep notes).  

Murphy's law states that as soon as you are ensconced on your balcony with an adult beverage on hand, a pod of orcas will surface on the other side of the ship. 🤣🤣

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, wolfie11 said:

Murphy's law states that as soon as you are ensconced on your balcony with an adult beverage on hand, a pod of orcas will surface on the other side of the ship. 🤣🤣

This is so true!

• Like 1

I've done 2 Alaska cruises with inside, two with Oceanview, the rest with balcony. As mentioned there is nothing wrong with spending time on deck or in a lounge looking out.  I probably make the most use of my balcony when in port.  If I'm not ashore then I'm on my balcony watching all the activity.  Worth it? Probably not.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

I have never had a balcony on numerous cruises in Alaska.  I roam the outside decks camera in hand and watch the people.  When they start pointing or sound excited, I head in that direction.  Plus, I've spent enough time on board to know where the whales or bears are likely to be hanging out (I keep notes).  

Exactly!!  As OP said...  you only sleep in cabin..

• Like 1

Thank you all for your responses. Even with the lower rate for an inside cabin, it's just not going to happen right now. Unfortunately the airfare from Cincinnati to the west coast is at least $1000 per person right now. That's more than the cruise fare itself. We'll get to Alaska some day though and now I know that we'll be able to do an inside cabin!☹️

• Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 9:14 AM, dopey1200 said:

Thank you all for your responses. Even with the lower rate for an inside cabin, it's just not going to happen right now. Unfortunately the airfare from Cincinnati to the west coast is at least $1000 per person right now. That's more than the cruise fare itself. We'll get to Alaska some day though and now I know that we'll be able to do an inside cabin!☹️

Check Alaska Air out of Columbus. Generally  decent prices to Seattle and a direct flight. We have flown RT for far less than 1k pp.  I just looked and there are June flights under $200 pp one way. 

On 4/24/2023 at 1:25 PM, Buffalobills said:

Did you look at Alaska Airlines? I was debating too because of the airfare from Orlando but Alaska Airlines was a lot cheaper than $1000.00 and I booked it 3 weeks ago. 

16 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Check Alaska Air out of Columbus. Generally  decent prices to Seattle and a direct flight. We have flown RT for far less than 1k pp.  I just looked and there are June flights under $200 pp one way. 

Thank you both so much for these suggestions! We will definitely look into flying out of Columbus in the future. With the 2 hour drive to Columbus it may require an overnight stay, which adds another day to the trip (we're not retired yet😔), and more money for a hotel room, but it does make it a possibility. We just booked a non-cruise vacation to Providence RI (Thanks to cheap fares from Breeze Airways👍), but maybe next vacation we can work something out.  Thanks again!

If the inside cabin allows you to afford to cruise, then definitely do it, and don't think twice.  As others mentioned, you'll find plenty of great public spaces for viewing the scenery.

Have a great trip to Providence, and go have the veal parm at Camille's up on Federal Hill !

• Like 2

We had a balcony cabin for our AK cruise, and only used it one time, for an hour or so, during the 10-night cruise.  We spent all our waking hours out on the upper decks, or in an observation lounge.  If money was no object, we would book an oceanview next time (not a balcony, as it obstructed the view of the water), but an inside would be fine, too.

• Like 3

On 4/24/2023 at 9:14 AM, dopey1200 said:

Did you check out of Louisville? It was only $350 one-way to Vancouver in July on Delta. I looked again and it's still affordable even for rt, just $750. 

Edited by njsmom

On 5/4/2023 at 7:45 PM, njsmom said:

Did you check out of Louisville? It was only $350 one-way to Vancouver in July on Delta. I looked again and it's still affordable even for rt, just $750. 

Thank you, I will check flights from Louisville next time too!

On 4/30/2023 at 11:28 AM, shipgeeks said:

We had a balcony cabin for our AK cruise, and only used it one time, for an hour or so, during the 10-night cruise. We spent all our waking hours out on the upper decks, or in an observation lounge.

I have a balcony at home. I go outside now and then, but likely not as often as some people might imagine. Why would I pay extra to have another balcony adjacent to my stateroom when traveling by sea? If I want to stand on a balcony I can do that at home. More generally, my reason for traveling by cruise vessel is primarily to visit the places enumerated on the itinerary. I have little desire to sit all day in my stateroom, or on a balcony attached thereto. Again, if I wanted to sit around in my own room, I could do that at home. The stateroom is simply a place to sleep and shower. It need not be large or exterior (though I would not deny the greater comfort provided by those characteristics). Indeed, I would compare the utility of a stateroom to that of a railway roomette, and in making that comparison I marvel at the substantial size of even the tiniest inside stateroom in comparison to those railway accommodations.

Well, I'm not afraid to be the dissenting opinion.  Afterall, the excuse of "I can do that at home" applies to almost everything on a cruise.  What it doesn't apply to is the passing scenery.  A balcony room has floor-to-ceiling windows, even if you're not physically on the balcony.  There's so much to see when you roll out of bed, get ready for dinner, or turn-in at night.  Also, it's a great way to view the ports and judge the weather.  It seems like sail away time is usually around the time we're getting ready for dinner, so I like to hang out on the balcony to watch sail away while dw is in the shower.  

Again, just a dissenting opinion.  I can't imagine sailing AK without a balcony.  But that's me.  I totally understand others being others.  

• Like 1

I tried to get the DH to give up our balcony on our up coming Alaska cruise.  It would have saved 3 k at one time.  I’m hoping it’s worth it.  Neither of us really like the cold so I can’t see sitting outside much.  However I do agree the floor to ceiling windows will give great views and that’s what Alaska is all about.  

I always say if that’s the only way you can go, go with an inside.  It’s better than staying home.  

• Like 1