Martha's Vineyard Full Island Tour on Celebrity Summit!!

st5310

16 minutes ago, st5310 said:

Anyone been on this tour?  Any details would help.  Thank you!

I have not, but I visit Martha's Vineyard every year, so if you want any suggestions on what to see or where to eat, I've got loads. What part of the island does the ship anchor at? Oak Bluffs? How long are you in port and how long is that tour?

I believe this is the first season of Celebrity going to Martha's Vineyard. When are you cruising. We are cruising on the May15 cruise and have booked this excursion, Way too expensive but we have OBC to use or lose.

Laura

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

You have already asked this question and it was moved to a more appropriate for him. This one also will probably be moved to the same forum.

A more "appropriate forum?"  Excuse me.

3 hours ago, SSFrance69 said:

I have not, but I visit Martha's Vineyard every year, so if you want any suggestions on what to see or where to eat, I've got loads. What part of the island does the ship anchor at? Oak Bluffs? How long are you in port and how long is that tour?

Yes, Oak Bluffs. Ship is in port 8-5 for one day.  There is only one excursion offered--a panoramic drive in a Sprinter van and it's kind of expensive--$178 per person.  That's the reason we were inquiring.  Thank you!

2 minutes ago, st5310 said:

Yes, Oak Bluffs. Ship is in port 8-5 for one day.  There is only one excursion offered--a panoramic drive in a Sprinter van and it's kind of expensive--$178 per person.  That's the reason we were inquiring.  Thank you!

That is a bit expensive. It would be neat to see the entire island, as each town has its own distinctive style. They do have a decent bus system in season, but there is plenty to do in Oak Bluffs. Oak Bluffs has victorian architecture. Edgartown is Edwardian. Vineyard Haven is Cape Cod style. Menemsha is a quaint fishing village. Chillmark is off the beaten path with beautiful views. Aquinnah is beautiful with gorgeous cliffs on the beach and a cool lighthouse. Actually there are lighthouses all over the island. That being said, there is plenty to see and do in Oak Bluffs and it's all walkable. Loads of shops, some galleries, Flying Horses Carousel (been on the island since the 1880s and still runs), nice beach, walk through the streets of the gingerbread cottages at the Oak Bluffs Campground (no two are alike), be sure to visit "Back Door Donuts" for a sweet treat (apple fritter is to die for - breakfast perhaps?). If you are visiting in season, which starts right before Memorial Day, my favorite restaurant in Oak Bluffs is Nancy's. Amazing clam chowdah and fried scallops. I'll be visiting next month. We are fortunate to be able to stay at my husband's parent's holiday home there during the shoulder seasons.

Whatever you do... ENJOY it! MV is a special magical place. Also Summit is one of my favorite ships. It has a special place in my heart and I'll be on her in July to Bermuda.

Cheers!

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

Wow.

It is nice to know that Marthas Vineyard is a cruise stop.  I tried booking the July 4th holiday one year and the hotels were all booked up a year or so in advance.

Any time in season is a nice time to visit. Not surprised that July 4th was booked. I'd say go any time after Memorial day, but before July 4, and you'll find less crowds of tourists and all the great spots open for the season! 

• Like 1