NCL Transfer with late afternoon check-in

johnrich

Our cruise doesn’t depart NYC until 11:00 PM. The earliest check-in time we could choose was 4:00. We have both flights and transfers through NCL. Our flight arrives at 8:45 AM. Will we have to sit around the airport all day for the shuttle buses or how does that work?  NCL customer service has been telling people that checkin will still be at normal times even though it’s a late departure. Well, I just checked in for the cruise and the first pier checkin time is 4:00 so Cust service is wrong (imagine that, lol). We are flying into EWR if that makes a difference. 

1 hour ago, johnrich said:

Our cruise doesn’t depart NYC until 11:00 PM. The earliest check-in time we could choose was 4:00. We have both flights and transfers through NCL. Our flight arrives at 8:45 AM. Will we have to sit around the airport all day for the shuttle buses or how does that work?  NCL customer service has been telling people that checkin will still be at normal times even though it’s a late departure. Well, I just checked in for the cruise and the first pier checkin time is 4:00 so Cust service is wrong (imagine that, lol). We are flying into EWR if that makes a difference. 

We had the same experience when we checked in during the wee hours of the morning lol. The earliest check in we could get was 4 pm. It feels like we are missing half a day of the cruise. When we called customer service they said they didn't have information about earlier boarding times but typically even with that late of a sailing time, 1 pm would be the latest they would start allowing passengers to board.

I wonder if people who check in later will get earlier boarding times once those are updated closer to departure? 

Can NCL tell you what time the shuttle will come for you? I can't imagine they would leave you at the airport all day! 

1 hour ago, genma803 said:

boarding times

You're not picking a boarding time, you're picking a check-in time.  At least at other ports NCL isn't really paying attention to those times, BUT the terminal at least needs to be open for passengers boarding to come in.

11 minutes ago, hallux said:

You're not picking a boarding time, you're picking a check-in time.  At least at other ports NCL isn't really paying attention to those times, BUT the terminal at least needs to be open for passengers boarding to come in.

Yes, I realize. Early morning response hadn't had my coffee yet.

To clarify, there won't be earlier times available as the ship will only likely arrive in NYC at 2!

There's a very good chance that if you arrive at the pier earlier than your assigned time, you won't be allowed into the building.

Calling NCL will assuredly get you an answer - whether it's accurate or not is another story.

If they take you right away to the pier, use a service like   https://usebounce.com/ , enter Manhattan Cruise Terminal for location and store your bags for the day.  If they're going to make you wait at the airport for hours, I would just use a car service like Carmel, take a taxi or an Uber to the closest luggage storage place and enjoy your day in NYC!

The only advantage to boarding early is to get a spot at the Comedy Show .... and to get in some additional predeparture cocktails - all with New York City and State tax added!

Edited by Dr. Cocktail

7 hours ago, johnrich said:

I would consider getting a "Day Room" at a hotel near the airport.

What time does the port schedule (or NCL) show the prior cruise arriving in NYC?  I have been on cruises with a late departure time (in Miami) but the ship was there in the morning and we boarded at the usual times (around noon). 

If the ship truly does arrive in the late morning/early afternoon, I would do as suggested and take a car service to a luggage storage facility (have used one on 8th Ave and 42nd street via bounce), drop off your stuff and enjoy some time in NYC. Pick up your luggage after 4 and walk over to the port. 

• 2 weeks later...

Were you able to enter the terminal and board at the Manhattan terminal before your assigned 4pm? We're looking at an evening check-in option which feels like a big waste.

6 hours ago, dbdb said:

Were you able to enter the terminal and board at the Manhattan terminal before your assigned 4pm? We're looking at an evening check-in option which feels like a big waste.

We don’t leave until next Sunday. May 14. 

Take the Air Train, then NJ Transit train to Penn Station. Leave your bags at luggage store, then wander Manhattan. At 35 or 6, get your bags, then walk to MCT. That's what I would do. 

If you're disabled, don't do this. Otherwise, it'll be a nice afternoon in the city.

• Like 1