Geiranger - Storseter Falls

Sea42

There is a ship excursion to Storseter Falls on our upcoming cruise on HAL.

Partial description:

Your destination is the trailhead at Hole, where your hike begins. Follow your guide along an improved path through a beautiful natural environment to Storseter Falls. Walk behind the waterfall for a breathtaking view of the water hurtling down the mountain.

I'd like to do this independently but it appears that bus 211 has a very limited schedule. Going there does not seem to be an issue but google maps does not list a return option except walking back. Can anyone offer an alternative for a Thursday in May? Thanks!

3 hours ago, hallasm said:

You might rent an electric bike for the first part up to Hole and Vesterås farm.

If you search Google the Norwegian spelling  Storsæterfossen might help

Some inspiration here.

Unfortunately, the e-bike rental is sold out on our date but thank you for the link!

My family did this hike independently in 2016. We hiked direct from the pier at Geiranger. No other transport needed. There is a short cut you can do to get to Vesteras Farm to avoid  the road. It was past the church and through a wooded area, which was quite muddy. You definitely need hiking books. From the farm you are out in the open with great views. It is a great hike but is quite steep, the part before the farm especially. We are regular hikers (used to hills/mountains) and it took us about 4 hours round trip. This hike was offered by our cruise line with exorbitant prices - you would be mad not to do it independently. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Scottishclover said:

My family did this hike independently in 2016. We hiked direct from the pier at Geiranger. No other transport needed. There is a short cut you can do to get to Vesteras Farm to avoid  the road. It was past the church and through a wooded area, which was quite muddy. You definitely need hiking books. From the farm you are out in the open with great views. It is a great hike but is quite steep, the part before the farm especially. We are regular hikers (used to hills/mountains) and it took us about 4 hours round trip. This hike was offered by our cruise line with exorbitant prices - you would be mad not to do it independently. 

Thanks for the information! I was concerned about walking along the road as google has it routed along 63, which looked like a busier road. It's nice to know that there is another option! Was there signage for the trail after the church?

I will have my boots and walking poles with me. Agreed about going on ship excursion, not my idea of fun.

You can walk up to Storseterfoss from the cruise pier. The local trail map is available to download here or at the tourist info office. Follow the road up towards Hotel Union (there are shortcut steps at the base of the churchyard), and the trailhead is just past the hotel. That trail (A) takes you up to Vesterås farm, and another trail (D) runs from the farm to Storseterfoss.

However, I don’t think it’s a particularly scenic trail. Most of the route to the waterfall is mountain views, since the trail is on a bit of an inland plateau that blocks the view back down to sea level. The area is pretty enough, but it seems a shame not to enjoy the views of the iconic fjord. I did the Storseter hike several years ago, and while it’s a bit fun to pass behind the waterfall, if I’m hiking in the area, I prefer the views from the Vesteråsfjellet and Løsta overlooks much more.

5 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

I did the Storseter hike several years ago, and while it’s a bit fun to pass behind the waterfall, if I’m hiking in the area, I prefer the views from the Vesteråsfjellet and Løsta overlooks much more.

Thanks so much! Vesterasfjellet looks like one where my husband could join me. The views look wonderful.

12 hours ago, Sea42 said:

Thanks so much! Vesterasfjellet looks like one where my husband could join me. The views look wonderful.

Just be aware that the walk up from the Hotel Union to Vesterås Farm is a steady uphill climb with a few uneven patches (where tree roots are exposed). It's not extremely challenging (I've done it with my moderately-active parents when they were in their early 70s) but it is a bit of exercise. From the farm, the walk over to the overlook is quite gentle.