ANZAC Day 2023

Thinking of those who have lost their lives in war and those who suffer illness following military service. 

NZ "Song of Sorrow" is always moving.  Plus the NZ National Anthem,  There have been many moving moments already, like when an elderly gentleman couldn't quite keep up to other three wreath layers, nor bend to place his wreath.  He was helped with a friendly hand on his shoulder. Tears already and it is only 5.10 am!   I used to attend in person, but now watch on TV.

• Like 3

For the first time today went to the Melbourne dawn service - since living here I've always felt that it was something I should do at least once but it's taken me 15 years to do it. Coming from UK it is notable how important ANZAC Day is treated here - shops closed etc, the huge numbers attending the dawn service and march - compared with Remembrance Day in UK where life goes on as normal for most people, though of course there are ceremonies at local war memorials. 

24 minutes ago, MelbTone said:

For the first time today went to the Melbourne dawn service - since living here I've always felt that it was something I should do at least once but it's taken me 15 years to do it. Coming from UK it is notable how important ANZAC Day is treated here - shops closed etc, the huge numbers attending the dawn service and march - compared with Remembrance Day in UK where life goes on as normal for most people, though of course there are ceremonies at local war memorials. 

I have taken veterans from USA to our ANZAC Day Parades and they were moved to tears.

I have been to ANZAC Dawn Service at Battersea Park London and to one at War Memirials near Hyde Park .

Attended local Dawn Service this morning in Penrith with my son. Large crowd covering the full range of ages from littlies to oldies. Rain held off & a little warmer than usual. Wonderful service, well organised, and the respect demonstrated from those in attendance makes me feel so much pride in my community.

Went back to RSL club for a drink in honour of the veterans, including my grandfather & Tracey's Dad. My one day of the year where I drink before breakfast 🙂 We enjoyed our gold coin donation brekkie.

We will remember them.

Lest We Forget.

Nice to still see bunches of flowers and wreaths still on war memorials in small towns, in my travels.

I used to attend the dawn service on the beachfront at Surfers Paradise, which is my favourite service.  After the dawn service, I was shocked to see wreaths removed.  I told someone in the RSL, who told me it was OK.  They removed the wreaths to reuse in the later service.  I used to attend the Gunfire Breakfast at the RSL.