Beverage package

I'm wondering if the beverage package that includes alcohol is worth it. I understand it depends on how much you drink but say you might drink 5-6 cocktails a day. Is it worth purchasing? Can anyone give an idea as to prices of beer, wine, Truly's, and average price of cocktails? I saw in another post that the lowest price cocktail they saw was $11.

THANK U!

RCCL uses dynamic pricing for their drink packages.  That means the price is different from ship to ship and even cruise to cruise.  They also move the pricing up and down on a cruise date based on “deals” that are running.  You are right around the breakeven point for the average package price so you will need to buy it at the right price.  

I personally use $12 as the average drink price which means $71.99 per person per day is the breakeven price point if you are going to average 6 drinks per day.  If you normally would buy bottled water, soda, energy drinks, or specialty coffees, this will help make the package more worth it to you since these drinks would be included.

Edited by Liljo22
  • Like 1

You can Google "Cruise Drink Package Calculator" and input what you think you'd drink on a daily basis. It'll do the math for you & let you know if it's a good buy at whatever price point your being offered.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, hazeleyes46 said:

The average drink now with gratuity is $16 so you should figure from that. Also, not just alcohol is included in the deluxe package so you have to account for that.

Maybe it fluctuated by ship, but last month on the Anthem simple mixed drinks were $14 including gratuity and beers around $9 including gratuity.

I think there are two factors that come into play with the drink package:

1. The straight up economics.  Do I drink enough to at least recoup the total price paid?
  2. The stress free factor.  It's paid for, I don't need to think about it.  I can drink as much or as little as I want and don't need to fret about it.

Personally we've never purchased the drink package on Royal.  We are moderate to heavy drinkers on a cruise but we've always saved a lot by not getting it.  We tend to ebb and flow with our consumption during a cruise.  Hit it hard one day, then the next hungover day it's just not as appealing... 😄  Repeat.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Maybe it fluctuated by ship, but last month on the Anthem simple mixed drinks were $14 including gratuity and beers around $9 including gratuity.

I think there are two factors that come into play with the drink package:

1. The straight up economics.  Do I drink enough to at least recoup the total price paid?
  2. The stress free factor.  It's paid for, I don't need to think about it.  I can drink as much or as little as I want and don't need to fret about it.

Personally we've never purchased the drink package on Royal.  We are moderate to heavy drinkers on a cruise but we've always saved a lot by not getting it.  We tend to ebb and flow with our consumption during a cruise.  Hit it hard one day, then the next hungover day it's just not as appealing... 😄  Repeat.

So $16.52 and $10.62 per drink. That adds up. 

2 hours ago, hazeleyes46 said:

So $16.52 and $10.62 per drink. That adds up. 

I think you missed the fact that I said, including gratuity.  However, to be fair, you are not wrong, cocktails can easily ring up at $14 before gratuity as well depending on how fancy you get . 🙂. My cocktails were pretty simple.  Most beers are consistently $7.49 to $7.99 before gratuity.

Edited by The Fun Researcher

1 hour ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I think you missed the fact that I said, including gratuity.  However, to be fair, you are not wrong, cocktails can easily ring up at $14 before gratuity as well depending on how fancy you get . 🙂. My cocktails were pretty simple.  Most beers are consistently $7.49 to $7.99 before gratuity.

Ahh ok, thank you. I love the drink package as I can try things I wouldn't at home and have to pay $15-$17/drink. 

• Like 1