What do you consider "walkable" on a Hawaii cruise?

93yearsyoung

The question came up not long ago in these forums. Someone asked 'what is walkable from the Lahaina pier?' There was a large discussion of how far is 'walkable' when someone asks. From my perspective, something less than two miles is walkable. Personally, at 93, 94 on my next Hawaii cruise, I am down to less than a mile. But even in my spryest days I don't think I'd walk 4 miles to someplace and back. I could have, I just would not have wanted to in Hawaii's humidity.

Waikiki is only three miles from Pier 2 and I'd never consider walking, again, even in my spryest days. I'd always use a cab (or nowadays, an Uber with one of my great-grandkids using my phone) or maybe The Bus.

So when you ask for 'walkable', what is your max distance, 1 mile, 2 miles, 3, more?

24 minutes ago, 93yearsyoung said:

The question came up not long ago in these forums. Someone asked 'what is walkable from the Lahaina pier?' There was a large discussion of how far is 'walkable' when someone asks. From my perspective, something less than two miles is walkable. Personally, at 93, 94 on my next Hawaii cruise, I am down to less than a mile. But even in my spryest days I don't think I'd walk 4 miles to someplace and back. I could have, I just would not have wanted to in Hawaii's humidity.

Waikiki is only three miles from Pier 2 and I'd never consider walking, again, even in my spryest days. I'd always use a cab (or nowadays, an Uber with one of my great-grandkids using my phone) or maybe The Bus.

So when you ask for 'walkable', what is your max distance, 1 mile, 2 miles, 3, more?

Walkable is different for everyone. It's important to include your fitness level when asking for 'walkable' locations. Similar to asking "what is an affordable cruise" without including any background info on your budget. Far too many variables for anyone to make a reasonable suggestion.

For me, walkable is definitely more than 3 miles. I walk several times a week mostly in the 5-8 mile range. So, if I'm asking for walkable from the pier; I will include that background information so people know what to recommend for me. In the recent post you reference, the OP stated upfront that she is a FIT 50 year old female. That description obviously changed recommendations. I might pose a question to the forum like this... "I am comfortable walking about 5 miles from the Lahaina pier. Is there anything you would recommend within that distance?"

If you were an OP asking for walkable and mentioned you were 94 years old and that even in your spryest days you wouldn't walk 3 miles in Waikiki, I bet you would get recommendations much less than 4 miles ;). 

Moral of the story, asking  'what is walkable' is far to vague. It's better to provide a max distance or fitness level and then let others make more appropriate recommendations based on that info. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, 93yearsyoung said:

Yes, all good points, words like 'best', 'reasonable', 'affordable', etc are all way too vague.

And that is a key point to probably half the questions on Cruise Critic.  And, in many cases, people who don't know the poster are supposed to know what the "best" is for that poster. Or what is "reasonable".

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

And that is a key point to probably half the questions on Cruise Critic.  And, in many cases, people who don't know the poster are supposed to know what the "best" is for that poster. Or what is "reasonable".

But what does walkable mean to you? Like a true So Cal native, I always think in time, not distance.

To me "walkable" is 20-30 minutes. I CAN walk a lot further, I've walked 5k and 10k events and walk or run everyday, but that is very different from what I think of as walkable from a cruise ship or hotel. Also in consideration in walkable from a cruise ship or hotel is the quality of the walk (scenery and safety) local weather (humidity and possibility of rain).

In Hawaii, rain can happen quickly. In one of my Honolulu port stops, I walked from Pier 2 to a store I like in Downtown. It was only a mile or so, but halfway there the skies opened and I was soaked before I could get inside for cover.

• Like 1