No More Veuve, No More Grey Goose

gmbhardy

8 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

Congratulations. You’ve just posted the most condescending comment I’ve ever read on CC.

You obviously missed some of the ones from when they stopped bar service at Greek ports last year. There were some real gems there.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, tscoffey said:

Oh now, that's just silly.

We could dine together in the main dining room and I wouldn't care the least what you were drinking. Now, should you decide to complain about the price of your glass of wine, or beer, cocktail, or liquor, you will forgive me if I indulge my curiosity a bit and ask you the logical question, "So why are you paying for it?" (all while sipping my complimentary iced tea, and yes, with a wry smile).

Look, if you're going to participate in the pricing game the cruise lines have, where they know that you --

1) have much disposable income (hey, you can afford to cruise, right?)

2) like most people, grew up socialized to expect alcohol

3) have no other recourse to get it, except through them

-- then you can hardly complain when they do the obvious thing and attempt to monetize the situation by vastly overcharging for it. (The top tier drink package on my next 14-day cruise is 60% of what I paid per person for a balcony. All that extra money to essentially stress your liver and kidneys, and make your urine smell funny. Oh, and the hangovers, or worse. I can take an entire extra cruise every 2 years for that price!)

Look, the logical response to the situation is simple: Don't participate in the game.

But if you do, don't expect too much sympathy when you complain about it.

Don't get upset with me for pointing all this out to you. I just figured out by age 15 that growing up and being an adult doesn't have to include alcohol. But I admit I thought differently than my peers.

Thanks for informing us of the revolutionary, adult decision you made at 15 and how the rest of us are just brainwashed and dumb!

Since we're sharing, at 15 I was hanging out in the park drinking Colt 45 and hoping my gf would kiss me. I do miss Colt 45! Lmao!!!!

I found this quote below and thought it was applicable.

"Condescending people tend to be very judgmental and intolerant towards anything that doesn't match their high standards or beliefs. They will always be looking for ways to prove that others are wrong and inferior."

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

My goodness, I ask one simple question - (Why do you continue to buy something you don't need if you're going to constantly complain about it ?)- and some people react like a fragile 17-year old boy after his first beer, perceiving that his manhood has just been questioned.

Edited by tscoffey
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

You obviously missed some of the ones from when they stopped bar service at Greek ports last year. There were some real gems there.

why did they do that? is it the norm? Doing greece next year and I'm curious. 

There really ought to be a "best of Cruise Critic" page...hmmm, maybe I could create a social media account. 🤠 Alas, too much work for this guy.

Since we're talking about our teen years, since I chose to go camping instead of to my junior prom and senior ball, perhaps we should consider why anyone would possible choose to dance on a cruise ship, then complain that the venue is too small. 

No drinking on those camping trips though. I was a goodie goodie two shoes until I found the Captain in college. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, tscoffey said:

My goodness, I ask one simple question - (Why do you continue to buy something you don't need if you're going to constantly complain about it ?)- and some people react like a fragile 17-year old

It's so funny!  I purposely removed the end of your statement, because this whole thread is absolutely comical!

As I previously wrote (referring to a lack of some vodka complains) - "all of them are made from the same stool" (in all its senses) or chip.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, tscoffey said:

My goodness, I ask one simple question - (Why do you continue to buy something you don't need if you're going to constantly complain about it ?)- and some people react like a fragile 17-year old boy after his first beer, perceiving that his manhood has just been questioned.

We're not fragile, we simply abhor jerks. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, tscoffey said:

@tscoffey - You're so preoccupied with your attempt to come across as superior because you abstain from alcohol that you've missed the point of this entire post. Norwegian has sold its passengers a package that includes two products. Norwegian's customers have discovered that those products are no longer available. They feel this is unfair and they have paid for something that is no longer being offered, despite the fact that Norwegian is still showing photos of the product in its advertisements for the package. This is the purpose of the post. Pretend it is not alcohol. It could be anything. Try to see past your own bias. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, redmomof4 said:

why did they do that? is it the norm? Doing greece next year and I'm curious. 

We never really worked out what it was all about and it certainly isn’t the norm. As far as I am aware it is resolved now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rather be in Hawaii said:

Currently on the getaway. Veuve is available by the bottle in haven and le bistro but is is NOT included in the premium plus beverage package. I have been happy with the Pommery that I have only seen in the Haven bar or  atrium bar. 

So does that mean you are not able to get a bottle of Pommery with your dinner? My main reason for the FAS+ is to have bottles with meals, and I want to start with bubbles and then have wine (ideally that would be Veuve and then a nice Brunello, but Pommery and a decent red will do).

Hope you are enjoying your trip!!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, goldenfarm said:

@tscoffey - You're so preoccupied with your attempt to come across as superior because you abstain from alcohol that you've missed the point of this entire post. Norwegian has sold its passengers a package that includes two products. Norwegian's customers have discovered that those products are no longer available. They feel this is unfair and they have paid for something that is no longer being offered, despite the fact that Norwegian is still showing photos of the product in its advertisements for the package. This is the purpose of the post. Pretend it is not alcohol. It could be anything. Try to see past your own bias. 

That happens with any cruise line for any product, and complains don't fly: for us a sauna on a cruise is very important (going there every day and multiple times on sea days); a few years ago, we booked a Royal Caribbean cruise, and after embarkation we decided to go to a sauna - imagine our surprise - we are looking, looking and cannot locate it (we were on the same ship 2 years prior).  We asked where sauna is.  The answer was - "Do you see the wall?  The sauna was behind where the wall is.  After refurbishing, we don't have it anymore."  Should we complain at that point ("Please put it back NOW, so we will enjoy it")?

Sorry if this was answered earlier in the thread as it’s gotten quite long now and I may have missed it, but how much is a glass of this Pommery? I’m wondering how much the supplement is on the regular drink package. We don’t bother upgrading to premium as it’s not worth it for us, and I don’t generally order champagne, but with you all saying how good this Pommery is, maybe I’ll try some for my next sail-away!

19 hours ago, tscoffey said:

"So why are you paying for it?" (all while sipping my complimentary iced tea, and yes, with a wry smile).

This is a fantastic example of why I love free style dining..

I couldn't be listening/observing to this nonsense day in day out on my vacation.

#Avoid at all costs 🍻

Edited by WexIrl
People to AVOID!
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, kirtihk said:

That happens with any cruise line for any product, and complains don't fly: for us a sauna on a cruise is very important (going there every day and multiple times on sea days); a few years ago, we booked a Royal Caribbean cruise, and after embarkation we decided to go to a sauna - imagine our surprise - we are looking, looking and cannot locate it (we were on the same ship 2 years prior).  We asked where sauna is.  The answer was - "Do you see the wall?  The sauna was behind where the wall is.  After refurbishing, we don't have it anymore."  Should we complain at that point ("Please put it back NOW, so we will enjoy it")?

This is not a lateral comparison. You did not purchase the cruise because it was advertised as having a sauna, with the sauna prominently displayed on the marketing material that convinced you to take the plunge and spend your money. You used the sauna two years prior on the ship and assumed it would still be there.

• Like 5

Really frustrating, my main reason for upgrading was for nice French Champagne with my two meals I tend to eat - plus the odd Whiskey. Drinks from a can has always been a plus!

Ironically I love a Rose Champagne and the Pommery is decent! But wonder if it will actually be available in the restaurants - doesn't seem there will be a good option if not. Couldn't actually get any Rose Champagne (even in Le Bistro) on my last cruise.

From the UK so not sure refunding the P+ Package is even a option, but I've always upgraded NCL's drinks - no judgement on my liver or others - but it's been a great price for a great product, alas all good things come to a end and before I buy my next Cruise Next's, I'll likely checkout cruise pricing of competitors with comparable packages - previously been pretty brand loyaly.

On ship on 05/21 so if I don't (or can't) refund will report back :)

• Like 4

Stand By.... Just check this cost me about $280 for 7 days, given I value the internet and 2 extra SDP - would buy both!

Happy with the cost difference although do feel could be fairer, but equally recognise it's not sustainable to give away $50 cost champagnes twice a day - 4 times a week.

Will playback but hope is; 1) They have a good champagne 2) Cans of 'pop' are still included 3) I can get a nice glass of White / Rose 4) NCL remains cost competitive against peers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, goldentrio said:

This is not a lateral comparison. You did not purchase the cruise because it was advertised as having a sauna, with the sauna prominently displayed on the marketing material that convinced you to take the plunge and spend your money. You used the sauna two years prior on the ship and assumed it would still be there.

Yes, it absolutely is!  We’ve been cruise for 25 years, and the sauna is one of major reasons we cruise!  I’m not joking! Everyone is different! To me, missing sauna for entire cruise is so much more important than missing a particular brand of vodka or champagne (even though I drink a lot (15-20 drinks per day) on the we cruise, too, and I also prefer good brands).  And, by the way, sauna is included in a cruise fare, too - so when I pay for a product that includes what I need and then the item is unexpectedly gone, of course, I don’t like it!

We learn (at least on vacation) not to complain no matter what - every minute of absorbing good energy counts!

On 4/28/2023 at 3:30 PM, reveur15 said:

SO disappointing !

I just upgraded to free at sea plus for the Veuve. ☹️

My cruise is in september, Hopefully, they will add another White champagne (not Rosé) by this time.

Well, finally I also added free at sea plus to my other B2B Alaska cruise considering it includes also unlimited wifi and 2 dining, I will drink whatever champagne is on board and enjoy my retirement vacation. Cheers 🍾

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

SO disappointing !

I just upgraded to free at sea plus for the Veuve. ☹️

My cruise is in september, Hopefully, they will add another White champagne (not Rosé) by this time.

I hope they realize the disappointment over the veuve and put it back on. Alternately, a decent non rose. I have a feeling if they do add back a non rose it is going to be a not great one unfortunately.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2023 at 2:52 PM, kirtihk said:

If you paid for a package that specifically listed that sauna was included and then suddenly it was not and no equivalent replacement was offered,  then yes, of course you should ( and would) complain.   What a silly question to ask.

If you went to a steak house and order a filet and got a cheeseburger, you'd complain, even though as someone posted (twice) they all come from the same place.

What those of you who are focusing on alcohol are missing is the bait and switch.  If they simply changed brands like the switch from Pepsi to Coke,  sure some people would be upset but it's an equivalent change.  However,  the fact that there is no dry, pinot noir substitute makes it wrong.  The Pommery blancs de blancs brut would be the equivalent.   And then to throw salt on the wound by having the Veuve on board and simply not allowing people to have it is wrong. 

• Like 3

Just now, Yesimapirate said:

And then to throw salt on the wound by having the Veuve on board and simply not allowing people to have it is wrong. 

Hmm, I don't think anyone is saying they aren't allowed to have it, they just have to pay extra, which isn't the same thing as disallowing it. If it's worth that much, why not drop the P+ and just pay as you go, or better yet, bring your own onboard, which is MUCH cheaper.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Hmm, I don't think anyone is saying they aren't allowed to have it, they just have to pay extra, which isn't the same thing as disallowing it. If it's worth that much, why not drop the P+ and just pay as you go, or better yet, bring your own onboard, which is MUCH cheaper.

Ok, this the last time I am posting in this thread.  People aren't getting it.  1. It isn't about going cheaper 2. It is the bait and switch.  3. Getting a package before your sailing and finding out something you bought the package for is no longer offered and an alternative isn't offered.  4. If those that bought the package wanted to pay more we wouldn't have upgraded to the p+. We wanted what was listed to be included. Now they are not.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Arrow34 said:

Ok, this the last time I am posting in this thread.  People aren't getting it.  1. It isn't about going cheaper 2. It is the bait and switch.  3. Getting a package before your sailing and finding out something you bought the package for is no longer offered and an alternative isn't offered.  4. If those that bought the package wanted to pay more we wouldn't have upgraded to the p+. We wanted what was listed to be included. Now they are not.

A "bait and switch" usually refers to a situation in which you are specifically promised something and then it just isn't there, requiring the acceptance of an inferior substitute, like if you book a full-sized car to rent and then have to settle for a subcompact at the same price as the original reservation. I am fairly certain NCL reserves the right to change its selections and substitute similar products due to factors like cost and availability. That, to me, isn't a bait and switch. But you said you aren't posting anymore so I guess my reply is somewhat moot. I'm a big fan of Veuve myself and I know I'd be disappointed, too. But I would never, ever stake my extra $$ for a Premium + package solely on the availability of one beverage. That's just asking to be let down.

• Like 2