No More Veuve, No More Grey Goose

gmbhardy

Not going to get into an argument with anyone.  But, from the reports here, both Veuve (by the glass) is still available and Grey Goose is part of the FAS drinks package.  If that changes some time in the future, who knows?  

As these reports go, sometimes people are misinformed, sometimes they report things they misheard, sometimes it’s a “huh…what are you talking about?” Moment. 

But, we’re half way through May and no one has experienced these alleged changes.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Not going to get into an argument with anyone.  But, from the reports here, both Veuve (by the glass) is still available and Grey Goose is part of the FAS drinks package.  If that changes some time in the future, who knows?  

As these reports go, sometimes people are misinformed, sometimes they report things they misheard, sometimes it’s a “huh…what are you talking about?” Moment. 

But, we’re half way through May and no one has experienced these alleged changes.

My daughter is sailing on Escape this Sunday and I've given her instructions to check out the Grey Goose part of this discussion.

She'll definitely get back to me on it, especially if she wants me to pick her up from the airport. Lmao!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

44 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

My daughter is sailing on Escape this Sunday and I've given her instructions to check out the Grey Goose part of this discussion.

She'll definitely get back to me on it, especially if she wants me to pick her up from the airport. Lmao!!

And I'm completely sure she'll report that she has to pay for the goose. Thank you for sending an intrepid report on Escape for us all! 🙂

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Just using up old stock on the Belvedere last month. Most bars out of stock as Belvedere is phasing out, consistent with the revisions. Grey Goose is now premium. As shown on the April revision. Don't believe me though, just call NCL and they will confirm this. I just did.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Just using up old stock on the Belvedere last month. Most bars out of stock as Belvedere is phasing out, consistent with the revisions. Grey Goose is now premium. As shown on the April revision. Don't believe me though, just call NCL and they will confirm this. I just did.

I asked them directly, on the ship.  No one knew anything about it.

And, from all reports so far, Goose is still the well vodka and Veuve is still being served by the glass

Edited by graphicguy
  • Haha 1

Just now, graphicguy said:

If I remember correctly, and my memory is a sieve so who knows, didn't your cruise embark before the start date of the new "offerings?" 

1 minute ago, cruiseny4life said:

If I remember correctly, and my memory is a sieve so who knows, didn't your cruise embark before the start date of the new "offerings?" 

Yes....it ended when May sailings were starting.  None of the bartenders and/or wait staff knew of any changes.

Personally, none of it affects me one way or the other.  So, I really don't care. But, I've seen these rumors, time and again be floated out there, when it reality, none of it turns out to be the case.

If you want Goose, and it costs more, so be it.  I can go Titos just as easily.  You can serve me sparkling wine and tell me it's Veuve.  I'll drink it if it's offered.  But, wouldn't order it.

Point being, IF (BIG IF) there are any changes, make certain it actually happened before reporting it.  Further, if Grey Goose or Veuve is a slam dunk, absolutely have to have it, and it costs more, I guess you budget for it.

Me?  There is no liquor, wine or beer that's critical to my enjoyment of any cruise.  No Goose?  Titos it is.  No Veuve?  White Star works.  No Buffalo Trace?  1792 is another one I like.  No "foo-foo" micro brew?  I'm OK with Blue Moon (and an orange slice for my vitamin C).

Sail on my friends. 

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, graphicguy said:

And, from all reports so far, Goose is still the well vodka and Veuve is still being served by the glass

That's because you were on a sailing in April. But, you know what, it's cool. Continue to tell people whatever you believe is correct. I posted the current NCL packages in this thread and my only purpose is to have current up to date info, so everyone can decide for themselves. If someone get get goose, consider it a bonus.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Yes....it ended when May sailings were starting.  None of the bartenders and/or wait staff knew of any changes.

Personally, none of it affects me one way or the other.  So, I really don't care. But, I've seen these rumors, time and again be floated out there, when it reality, none of it turns out to be the case.

If you want Goose, and it costs more, so be it.  I can go Titos just as easily.  You can serve me sparkling wine and tell me it's Veuve.  I'll drink it if it's offered.  But, wouldn't order it.

Point being, IF (BIG IF) there are any changes, make certain it actually happened before reporting it.  Further, if Grey Goose or Veuve is a slam dunk, absolutely have to have it, and it costs more, I guess you budget for it.

Me?  There is no liquor, wine or beer that's critical to my enjoyment of any cruise.  No Goose?  Titos it is.  No Veuve?  White Star works.  No Buffalo Trace?  1792 is another one I like.  No "foo-foo" micro brew?  I'm OK with Blue Moon (and an orange slice for my vitamin C).

Sail on my friends. 

I'm sure I drink less than most posters on this site. Half the time when I order drinks I forget to tell the server Grey Goose and club soda, then I taste it and think, "oh yea...I wanted goose." But, I drink it. No sense in wasting it because I was dumb. I'll absolutely be paying for the Grey Goose (when I remember) on my next cruise. I'd rather not, but eh, I do prefer it. 

In the old days, when I really drank, it didn't matter. Heck, I was the one drinking my friend's drink they didn't want to finish. Alas, new me enjoys the finer things. I don't know how I feel about this side of me. 

But yes, confirm the change with someone sailing currently. Don't count on an agent to know. I've seen plenty of rumors too. I've probably (no, certainly) contributed to them, though I never mean to. I just want to be sure folks have the most updated information from those currently on the ships. I hesitate to give tips from my March cruise now. So much can change in a week and definitely in two months. Constant crew rotations, itinerary changes, embarkation port changes, policy changes...it's just a lot to give really solid tips/advice so far from my cruise unless it's general information. 

7 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm sure I drink less than most posters on this site. Half the time when I order drinks I forget to tell the server Grey Goose and club soda, then I taste it and think, "oh yea...I wanted goose." But, I drink it. No sense in wasting it because I was dumb. I'll absolutely be paying for the Grey Goose (when I remember) on my next cruise. I'd rather not, but eh, I do prefer it. 

In the old days, when I really drank, it didn't matter. Heck, I was the one drinking my friend's drink they didn't want to finish. Alas, new me enjoys the finer things. I don't know how I feel about this side of me. 

But yes, confirm the change with someone sailing currently. Don't count on an agent to know. I've seen plenty of rumors too. I've probably (no, certainly) contributed to them, though I never mean to. I just want to be sure folks have the most updated information from those currently on the ships. I hesitate to give tips from my March cruise now. So much can change in a week and definitely in two months. Constant crew rotations, itinerary changes, embarkation port changes, policy changes...it's just a lot to give really solid tips/advice so far from my cruise unless it's general information. 

I get it.  

My Bliss cruise, I had a Bloody Mary in the a.m., usually in the Observation Lounge.  Bartender would ask what kind of Vodka, and I’d say “well vodka is fine”.  That happened to be Goose.  But, it could have been Titos or Belvedere or any vodka.  It’s mixed, so it doesn’t matter to me.  If I drank it straight, or like you, in a non-flavored mixer?  Maybe it would.  

But, even with Bourbon (my preferred liquor), my go to is Basil Hayden.  But NO cruise ship or cruise line stocks that.  So, given they had Buffalo Trace, which I can’t even get at home, I drink that.  Barring that, it’s 1792.  Barring that, it’s Bulliet.  

Point being, at home, I don’t even drink Bloody Marys.  Actually, if I drink a couple of beers on the weekend after cutting grass, that’s usually the extent of it.

If we’re going out as a group….friends, guys, girls, wives, husbands, girlfriends, boyfriends, etc, we go to this really small bar.  It seats under 20 inside and maybe another 8 on their patio outside.  It’s quaint.  Everybody knows everybody else.  They have maybe 3 whiskeys/bourbons (none of them my top choice), they have 2 vodkas and gins.  Not a tequila guy, but I know they make margaritas.   They have red wine and white wine (don’t know the brands). Draft beers that have Bud and Miller.  I think they have Heineken and one of the local microbrews, too.

That’s it.  We go there because we like it.  They serve liquor, beer and wine.   Enjoying the place has nothing to do with the brands they serve.

I view cruises (regardless of the cruise line) the same way.  Matter of fact, every cruise I’ve ever been on probably has the widest selection of beers, wines and liquors I’ve ever seen.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I get it.  

My Bliss cruise, I had a Bloody Mary in the a.m., usually in the Observation Lounge.  Bartender would ask what kind of Vodka, and I’d say “well vodka is fine”.  That happened to be Goose.  But, it could have been Titos or Belvedere or any vodka.  It’s mixed, so it doesn’t matter to me.  If I drank it straight, or like you, in a non-flavored mixer?  Maybe it would.  

But, even with Bourbon (my preferred liquor), my go to is Basil Hayden.  But NO cruise ship or cruise line stocks that.  So, given they had Buffalo Trace, which I can’t even get at home, I drink that.  Barring that, it’s 1792.  Barring that, it’s Bulliet.  

Point being, at home, I don’t even drink Bloody Marys.  Actually, if I drink a couple of beers on the weekend after cutting grass, that’s usually the extent of it.

If we’re going out as a group….friends, guys, girls, wives, husbands, girlfriends, boyfriends, etc, we go to this really small bar.  It seats under 20 inside and maybe another 8 on their patio outside.  It’s quaint.  Everybody knows everybody else.  They have maybe 3 whiskeys/bourbons (none of them my top choice), they have 2 vodkas and gins.  Not a tequila guy, but I know they make margaritas.   They have red wine and white wine (don’t know the brands). Draft beers that have Bud and Miller.  I think they have Heineken and one of the local microbrews, too.

That’s it.  We go there because we like it.  They serve liquor, beer and wine.   Enjoying the place has nothing to do with the brands they serve.

I view cruises (regardless of the cruise line) the same way.  Matter of fact, every cruise I’ve ever been on probably has the widest selection of beers, wines and liquors I’ve ever seen.

You can’t get Buffalo Trace at home?  It’s not that high end and is readily available at all liquor stores near my house.  And I’m a ways from Kentucky 😎

We are currently on the Escape and Veuve has been remove from all bars. It is only available in Le Bistro by the glass and by the bottle. I spoke with the Food and Beverage manager who said that they can’t get enough to stock the bars. Vueve is becoming hard to source and what they can get (versus their old volume buys) is expensive. They are keeping it in Bistro, for now, since it is the signature drink there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I was on getaway May 1st -11. Though the nice Haven bartenders were able to find me a few glasses during my cruise it is not offered on the premium plus program anny longer  and grey goose was definitely only on the premium plus program. 
I was just reading a post about some UK/Europe ports where NO alcohol can be served in port at all so things could be worse😊😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

And I'm completely sure she'll report that she has to pay for the goose. Thank you for sending an intrepid report on Escape for us all! 🙂

Have her check out what the upcharge is for the goose if one has the regular beverage package.

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

This stuff can literally change week to week and ship to ship.  Bulleit and Crown were in the base package a year ago.  Then they were $16.  Now they're back in the base package.  I had to educate a well-meaning bar tender about the Bulleit.  Who can keep up with this?  Just find out when you are on the ship.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Sail on my friends. 

On my last land vacation to an all inclusive, their bourbon selection wasn’t great.  They did always have plenty of Johnny Black so that’s what I drank.

Wife and I keep going back and forth on upgrading the drink package for our December cruise.  The included one seems to be fine for us except maybe the wines… will have to see. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tjc78 said:

They did always have plenty of Johnny Black so that’s what I drank.

I had all the Black Label, Bulleit bourbon (I wish they also had the Bulleit rye) and Guinness I wanted on my last cruise.   I didn't need no stinkin' PPBP.😎

(my Bloody Marys and Screwdrivers were all Grey Goose or Belvidere, but I would be fine with others)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I had all the Black Label, Bulleit bourbon (I wish they also had the Bulleit rye) and Guinness I wanted on my last cruise.   I didn't need no stinkin' PPBP.😎

(my Bloody Marys and Screwdrivers were all Grey Goose or Belvidere, but I would be fine with others)

Exactly… if you can tell the difference between Goose and Tito’s in a Bloody you must have one heck of a refined palate. 

Good to know about Bulleit and JWB.. either of those will keep me plenty “happy”. 

Edited by tjc78
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, tjc78 said:

Exactly… if you can tell the difference between Goose and Tito’s in a Bloody you must have one heck of a refined palate. 

Good to know about Bulleit and JWB.. either of those will keep me plenty “happy”. 

Yep.  I order my Bloody Marys spicey, so would be hard pressed to pick up any subtleties in the flavor of the Vodka.

2 hours ago, tjc78 said:

On my last land vacation to an all inclusive, their bourbon selection wasn’t great.  They did always have plenty of Johnny Black so that’s what I drank.

Wife and I keep going back and forth on upgrading the drink package for our December cruise.  The included one seems to be fine for us except maybe the wines… will have to see. 

If it's all good for the basic package, just bring on your own wine. There is no longer a corkage fee if you have a drink package.