Ancient Adriatic Treasures

duquephart

We are booked on this cruise for April 2024. The Istanbul Post Extension became available and we grabbed it up. Previous to this we were looking into a private tour as the extension was sold out. The extension includes a tour of the four main highlights (Hippodrome, Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Grand Bazaar) that were going to be covered on the private tour. Whether Viking covers these as well as the private tour is unknown to me. So ----- I'd appreciate hearing the thoughts of folks who have done this extension. How did you like it? Should we still do the private as well?

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

We are booked on this cruise for April 2024. The Istanbul Post Extension became available and we grabbed it up. Previous to this we were looking into a private tour as the extension was sold out. The extension includes a tour of the four main highlights (Hippodrome, Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Grand Bazaar) that were going to be covered on the private tour. Whether Viking covers these as well as the private tour is unknown to me. So ----- I'd appreciate hearing the thoughts of folks who have done this extension. How did you like it? Should we still do the private as well?

I  hired private guide for the Blue Mosque and  we went inside. The Hippodrome is the space between the  Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sophia  It was the hippodrome  which Constantine built. Today  the guide will point out the contours of this space  and the obelisk from Egypt. and other points of interest as we walked tot he Hagia Sophia. We were inside for aobut hour and half walking to top and back down   as our guide pointed out the mosaics  and history of the original church.

The Grand Bazaar you can do on  your own by tram or walking if you are staying in the only part of town. We were there for a half day., wandering around after I bought a rug (had pre arranged  appointment with rug dealer ).

Other great sights: the Cistern, the great underground space that provided water  to the city. It is next to the Hagai Sophia. Also the Topkapi palace complex. We had a private guide  for the whole afternoon.  

I suggest you  keep your private guide after you see the highlights with he Viking tour. With a private guide they will buy your tickets and you get into the site quickly. 

I loved Istanbul and the food is great. Lots of outdoor cafes and do try Turkish coffee , it is an event.

We were there many years ago  in late Oct after our cruise.   

Edited by Azulann

We used a private guide and it went very well. He had us visiting all these highlights, as well as the Bosporus boat ride. We had an overnight there so it was a very full day. The first day we just did DIY including the Grand Bazaar. Whichever way you go, Istanbul is a great port. That said, we enjoyed private guiding without the lollipop. 

Maybe my question is: Should we hire a private guide and see those four sites all over again the following day? I wonder if the tours included with the extension will cover them well enough. We need someone who has done the extension to weigh in. The extension is hard to come by so must be of some value (?). We will have two two "free" days - one while still aboard the ship and one while doing the extension - and want to put them to best use. I'm very grateful for the info. so far - thanks.

10 hours ago, duquephart said:

Maybe my question is: Should we hire a private guide and see those four sites all over again the following day? I wonder if the tours included with the extension will cover them well enough. We need someone who has done the extension to weigh in. The extension is hard to come by so must be of some value (?). We will have two two "free" days - one while still aboard the ship and one while doing the extension - and want to put them to best use. I'm very grateful for the info. so far - thanks.

I checked out your post extension for your cruise  on Viking Web site. 

Using my "Viking speak" decipher, I read the  tour as part of your extension in Istanbul.

IMO it says  you will  go inside the Blue Mosque ., walk  the area of hippodrome to Hagia Sophia  and learn about it while being outside , then off to Grand Bazaar inside for the rug demo and free time to walk  around.   All guides in Turkey are licensed by the state and all are very knowledgable about  the sites and history of place on  their tours. . All speak multiple languages 

I have done viking post extension in Barcelona and the tour was mostly a bus ride with nice stops  at various overlooks and waterfront  to stretch legs  take pictures. The guide was very good.

all these  tours on post extension day makes sense. Get off ship  in morning and do a tour and get to hotel  in  afternoon and get checked in.  Yours is  definitely more involved with  touring inside the Blue Mosque and the grand Bazaar.

I also didi see that your sailing has a privilege access  exclusion ,evening in Hagia Sophia!  It would be really wonderful to tour it with just guide and Viking folks. I am sure it is very expensive. 

On my upcoming cruise, there is one privilege access excursion and it was sold out quickly !

What a great cruise you are taking! 

• Like 1