Oceania’s unnecessary Chinese visa requirement

YWGcruisers

FYI…Fed ex works in conjunction with Rush My Passport.  They process Chinese Visas.  $145 Consulate fee plus their $365 service fee.  They only process 10 year visas.

For anyone who has cruised to or visited Turkey, China has strict requirements 

Prior Travel to Turkey 

• If you have previously traveled to Turkey and have Turkish visas or entry stamps in your passport, you must also submit a letter explaining your travel. List the dates of entry and exit for your visit(s) to Turkey.
  • State the reason for your travel to Turkey, such as tourism or business meetings.
  • The letter must bear the applicant's original signature.
  • Accompany your letter with any available copies of flight itineraries or eTickets from your trip(s) to Turkey.

Please note that processing delays are possible if you have previously traveled to Turkey.

DW and I were to go to the PRC for about two weeks in 2020 but covid intervened.  We had applied for and received ten year visas which are still valid.  We used a visa service (CIBT), and it was expensive, but they were very helpful to make sure we had all of the proper entry documents.  Mailed our passports to them and they did the leg work. 

I don't recall any questions about Turkey.  We were there in 2016 for an overnight on a cruise.  I never mentioned it and they didn't ask.  Not sure how the PRC would find out someone was in Turkey unless they hacked the evisa system.  Wouldn't be surprised.  Also, never had to meet a PRC consular officer.  

We still want to visit but the current political situation makes traveling there dicey.  

Edited by ssawjo
spelling correction

I too was surprised about the Turkey rules but it’s on the Fed ex website in the section for processing Chinese visas.  Maybe a new rule since the issues in the Xinjiang region.  Apparently you are ok unless your passport is stamped or has a Turkish visa when the passport goes to the Chinese consulate for the visa sticker.

I’m booked on the same sailing as YWG but I think I’m going to cut it short and finish up in Hong Kong although I would love to circumvent Japan in the final segment.

5 hours ago, osandomir said:

Would you please tell us what do you want to hear, so no one will be wasting your time trying to help you. 

Please re-visit my original post. If you are not booked on a cruise with a stop in Shanghai then I'm not sure why people on here are commenting unless they have done their due diligence. I have been in touch with CIBT (as directed in our guest statement) and the Chinese consulate in Toronto and if we need a Chinese tourist visa we must show up in person. Same applies in the USA. Simple as that!  We are trying to get others to complain to Oceania to change their policy and honor the exemption.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, the more ports the better said:

I’m booked on the same sailing as YWG but I think I’m going to cut it short and finish up in Hong Kong although I would love to circumvent Japan in the final segment.

Maybe you can disembark before China &  re board  after the ship leaves China??

Worth asking  Oceania

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe you can disembark before China &  re board  after the ship leaves China??

Worth asking  Oceania

We thought of that but worst case scenario we will fly to Toronto for a couple of days and get it done.  Just seems so unnecessary when the Chinese government has an exemption for cruise ship passengers in transit.  Other guests on Silversea, Seabourn and HAL have been able to take advantage of the exemption in the past.  Not sure why NCL has never offered it to their guests.

It sounds like things have changed, but a few years before covid hit, we did a RCCL cruise out of Shanghai that visited a number of Japanese stops and then returned to Shanghai.  We spent a few days in Shanghai pre-cruise.  It appeared that we could stay for a few days without the China Visa, but we decided to play it safe and get a 10 year China Visa.

I think the cost was something like $200/each, including the fee for the Chinese gentleman who processed our applications.  We had to fill out the information, find a couple of suitable photos and he went to the China Consulate with in Los Angeles and returned with our Visas attached to our U.S. Passports.

We did enjoy ourselves in China and no one was rude to use in the slightest way.  Of course, we are not the "Ugly Americans", so we were always very humble and respectful.

I hope to be able to return one day.  Sounds like the China Visa requirements have since changed.  I also sense that U.S./China relations have deteriorated somewhat since then, which is unfortunate.

For anyone interested, here's a review I did of our hotel in Shanghai, which had a gorgeous view of the Bund.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, YWGcruisers said:

Please re-visit my original post. If you are not booked on a cruise with a stop in Shanghai then I'm not sure why people on here are commenting unless they have done their due diligence. I have been in touch with CIBT (as directed in our guest statement) and the Chinese consulate in Toronto and if we need a Chinese tourist visa we must show up in person. Same applies in the USA. Simple as that!  We are trying to get others to complain to Oceania to change their policy and honor the exemption.

We're on the Singapore to Bangkok leg of this cruise.. Have not seen anything about this issue on the 82 day Roll Call so perhaps if you posted there you could garner support from others being required to get the Chinese Visa. We did 27 days Singapore to Tokyo in February '23 on a different, larger ship and the cruise was totally sold out partly, I think, because it avoided all Chinese ports and the visa issue. JMHO

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Stockjock said:

It sounds like things have changed, but a few years before covid hit, we did a RCCL cruise out of Shanghai that visited a number of Japanese stops and then returned to Shanghai.  We spent a few days in Shanghai pre-cruise.  It appeared that we could stay for a few days without the China Visa, but we decided to play it safe and get a 10 year China Visa.

I think the cost was something like $200/each, including the fee for the Chinese gentleman who processed our applications.  We had to fill out the information, find a couple of suitable photos and he went to the China Consulate with in Los Angeles and returned with our Visas attached to our U.S. Passports.

We did enjoy ourselves in China and no one was rude to use in the slightest way.  Of course, we are not the "Ugly Americans", so we were always very humble and respectful.

I hope to be able to return one day.  Sounds like the China Visa requirements have since changed.  I also sense that U.S./China relations have deteriorated somewhat since then, which is unfortunate.

For anyone interested, here's a review I did of our hotel in Shanghai, which had a gorgeous view of the Bund.

Thanks for sharing your story.  I connected with another couple that had to travel from Phoenix to LA for their interview at the Chinese consulate for their cruise pre-covid.  I think it might be our last opportunity to get to mainland China.  So grateful that we got to visit St. Petersburg with Silversea a few years back.  They also had an exemption if you participated in excursions in and around this port city.  You only needed a visa if you did the trip to Moscow. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YWGcruisers said:

Thanks for sharing your story.  I connected with another couple that had to travel from Phoenix to LA for their interview at the Chinese consulate for their cruise pre-covid.  I think it might be our last opportunity to get to mainland China.  So grateful that we got to visit St. Petersburg with Silversea a few years back.  They also had an exemption if you participated in excursions in and around this port city.  You only needed a visa if you did the trip to Moscow. 

I would’ve loved to of visited Saint Petersburg, but obviously, that’s not very practical, given the current state of affairs.

3 hours ago, YWGcruisers said:

You only needed a visa if you did the trip to Moscow. 

Do not think that is correct  unless you DIY'd the trip

If you used a licensed guide or ships tour  no VISA  required for Russia

23 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Do not think that is correct  unless you DIY'd the trip

If you used a licensed guide or ships tour  no VISA  required for Russia

You are correct.  We visited Moscow with a licensed tour guide and no visa required.

So is there someone who has an O connected travel agent who can take on the issue of the requirement  to obtain a China Visa?

A Visa exception was offered by other cruiselines, pre-covid, and appears to be available today.

I tried to address the issue directly with O, but can't get to the person who deals with Visa issues.

4 hours ago, pmatawan said:

So is there someone who has an O connected travel agent who can take on the issue of the requirement  to obtain a China Visa?

A Visa exception was offered by other cruiselines, pre-covid, and appears to be available today.

I tried to address the issue directly with O, but can't get to the person who deals with Visa issues.

email guestrelations@oceaniacruises.com.  The more people that put pressure on them, the faster we will get a resolution.  There is no excuse not to offer the visa exemption.

• Thanks 1

On 5/1/2023 at 7:11 AM, Queen of DaNile said:

We're on the Singapore to Bangkok leg of this cruise.. Have not seen anything about this issue on the 82 day Roll Call so perhaps if you posted there you could garner support from others being required to get the Chinese Visa. We did 27 days Singapore to Tokyo in February '23 on a different, larger ship and the cruise was totally sold out partly, I think, because it avoided all Chinese ports and the visa issue. JMHO

Folks are probably not thinking about visas yet until closer to final payment.  By the way there is no office in Florida and they closed the office in Houston so guests in the south including Texas have to go to Washington DC for the in person interview according to the official USA PRC appointment website.

Just rec'd a response from O's visa dept. via our TA..."we are currently reviewing post-Covid requirements as there is a possibility a visa for mainland China is not required."  Please keep the pressure on them to adjust their policy.

• Like 3

On 5/2/2023 at 10:33 AM, ssawjo said:

You are correct.  We visited Moscow with a licensed tour guide and no visa required.

Technically, the licensed guide provides a group visa.  Our reservation in St Petersburg served that purpose when we were there for disembarkation, and since we had a multiple day tour (docked for overnights), we go a special document that let us disembark on subsequent days.  But that was then...it may have changed.

Edited by 1985rz1

14 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

Technically, the licensed guide provides a group visa.  Our reservation in St Petersburg served that purpose when we were there for disembarkation, and since we had a multiple day tour (docked for overnights), we go a special document that let us disembark on subsequent days.  But that was then...it may have changed.

Yes, that is what I meant.  By "no visa required", I meant that the visitor does not have to obtain a visa if with a licensed guide.  And, I am afraid, everything has probably changed.

1 hour ago, ssawjo said:

Yes, that is what I meant.  By "no visa required", I meant that the visitor does not have to obtain a visa if with a licensed guide.  And, I am afraid, everything has probably changed.

Yep. No one is going to Russia any time soon.  The same goes for Myanmar.  Oceania has already adjusted those cruises for the rest of the year and told us they will likely be amending the yearend sailing on the Riviera through Asia before this fall if conditions remain the same.

On 4/30/2023 at 6:36 PM, ssawjo said:

DW and I were to go to the PRC for about two weeks in 2020 but covid intervened.  We had applied for and received ten year visas which are still valid.  We used a visa service (CIBT), and it was expensive, but they were very helpful to make sure we had all of the proper entry documents.  Mailed our passports to them and they did the leg work. 

I don't recall any questions about Turkey.  We were there in 2016 for an overnight on a cruise.  I never mentioned it and they didn't ask.  Not sure how the PRC would find out someone was in Turkey unless they hacked the evisa system.  Wouldn't be surprised.  Also, never had to meet a PRC consular officer.  

We still want to visit but the current political situation makes traveling there dicey.  

We are in the same boat.  Obtained the visa before covid, and canceled our land trip.  HOWEVER, I cannot confirm this, but China has since cancelled all active visas and if we were to go there again, the current stamp in our passports are no longer valid, so has to reapply.   This is just according to my friend who travels a lot to China.  I would definitely confirm this before attempting to go there again.  

Edited by FeelingCruisy

2 minutes ago, FeelingCruisy said:

We are in the same boat.  Obtained the visa before covid, and canceled our land trip.  HOWEVER, I cannot confirm this, but China has since cancelled all active visas and if we were to go there again, the current stamp in our passports are no longer valid, so has to reapply.   This is just according to my friend who travels a lot to China.  I would definitely confirm this before attempting to go there again.  

Thank you that heads up.  Presently, I have no plans to go to the PRC until at least 2025.  My current 10 year visa expires in 2030.  I will check before any planning happens.

37 minutes ago, YWGcruisers said:

Yep. No one is going to Russia any time soon.  The same goes for Myanmar.  Oceania has already adjusted those cruises for the rest of the year and told us they will likely be amending the yearend sailing on the Riviera through Asia before this fall if conditions remain the same.

We are on the Riviera cruise that calls at Yangon in January 2024.  I booked a private tour, but it is refundable if we can't land.  It is a shame what is happening there.

59 minutes ago, FeelingCruisy said:

Edited 58 minutes ago by FeelingCruisy

Here is the latest from the Embassy of the Peoples Republic of China.  Visa issued before March 28, 2020 are again valid as of March 15, 2023.

http://us.china-embassy.gov.cn/eng/lsfw/zj/notice/202303/t20230315_11041658.htm

• Thanks 3