Cheers package question

William142

7 hours ago, ibarrio said:

yes, any top-shelf $20 and under is covered. This is the way to go if you get Cheers...top shelf all the way 

During our last cruise we ordered several drinks throughout the week with call liquor and it didn't increase the cost of the drink on the slip (which of course was zeroed out because of Cheers). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

The tips for the bar staff, other than the extra tips provided, are undoubtedly pooled. That means everything averages out in the end.

No, it doesn't.  I get about 15 beverages a day on CHEERS which included lattes that aren't pop a top and hand over drinks so that $9 ends up being a 60 cents tip.  I always add $1-2.

21 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

No, it doesn't.  I get about 15 beverages a day on CHEERS which included lattes that aren't pop a top and hand over drinks so that $9 ends up being a 60 cents tip.  I always add $1-2.

Not everyone uses Cheers to the same extent you do. It averages out. (I also normally add extra, but I did that even when we didn't have Cheers.)

10 hours ago, carnival03 said:

While we're on this topic, are you able to order a drink with top-shelf using the Cheers package? For example, am I able to order a Patron margarita instead of using whatever standard tequila they have?

Yes.  In fact, on my first drink order once the bartender scanned by boarding pass and saw I had the package, he told me to always order the call brands.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

I added $2 to every alcoholic beverage and the bartenders knew who I was and my drink within about 3 hours.  They would wave hello at me as I walked by lol.  I also stayed at the same bars, though, with the same bartenders so that may have had something to do with it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, carnival03 said:

While we're on this topic, are you able to order a drink with top-shelf using the Cheers package? For example, am I able to order a Patron margarita instead of using whatever standard tequila they have?

It's been explained to me before that call drinks (Patron Margarita in your example) is only one shot with Cheers, versus two shots of well liquor. So long as you're OK with that. I usually drink Old Fashioneds which have two shots no matter how they're made.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Not everyone uses Cheers to the same extent you do. It averages out. (I also normally add extra, but I did that even when we didn't have Cheers.)

It shouldn't "average" out.  Not cool.  That would suggest I don't have to tip at all since other guests tip extra.  The service I receive is worth far more than 60 cents.   

18 minutes ago, MayorDrafty said:

I added $2 to every alcoholic beverage and the bartenders knew who I was and my drink within about 3 hours.  They would wave hello at me as I walked by lol.  I also stayed at the same bars, though, with the same bartenders so that may have had something to do with it.

Same. The coffee bar people would start my latte when I was in line.  The Alchemy crew called out my name when I sat down and came right over. 

9 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

It shouldn't "average" out.  Not cool.  That would suggest I don't have to tip at all since other guests tip extra.  The service I receive is worth far more than 60 cents.   

It is the way the bartenders agree to work, nothing uncool about it. You can analyze it however you wish. If you have the package you don't have to tip at all, and I see many who don't. I tip extra because they've earned it, not because of any feeling that they aren't getting their due. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

Same. The coffee bar people would start my latte when I was in line.  The Alchemy crew called out my name when I sat down and came right over. 

Yeah, on the Pride I would get to the piano bar about 30 minutes early and chat with the bartender while he set up.  Once he got to a breathing point, he would make a drink for me (simple vodka and soda).  Another passenger would see that and come up to order a drink and he'd tell them he wasn't open yet lol.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

It is the way the bartenders agree to work, nothing uncool about it. You can analyze it however you wish. If you have the package you don't have to tip at all, and I see many who don't. I tip extra because they've earned it, not because of any feeling that they aren't getting their due. 

The bartenders, wait staff  and baristas who prove me exceptional service are rewarded by my added gratuities.  That is what they signed up for, a base amount plus the ability to be individually awarded for great personal services.  

7 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

The tips for the bar staff, other than the extra tips provided, are undoubtedly pooled. That means everything averages out in the end.

I would imagine that any tip you leave (other than maybe cash tips) are pooled by all the bartenders...

3 minutes ago, William142 said:

I would imagine that any tip you leave (other than maybe cash tips) are pooled by all the bartenders...

The extra tip, cash or sail and sign, go to the bartender if working solo or the team like at Alchemy. 

1 hour ago, William142 said:

55 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

The extra tip, cash or sail and sign, go to the bartender if working solo or the team like at Alchemy. 

This is my understanding and we asked our head waitress what happens to the extra tip we left on the drink slips during dinner and she said they are supposed to go to her and her team.

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

The bartenders, wait staff  and baristas who prove me exceptional service are rewarded by my added gratuities.  That is what they signed up for, a base amount plus the ability to be individually awarded for great personal services.  

And the base amount comes from the pooled tips (and for clarity the pooled tips are the 18% gratuity that is charged for each drink and for the drink package).

Edited by sparks1093

1 hour ago, PatchesJ72 said:

Just a quick question, so non-alcoholic beer count towards your 15.  I couldn’t find a definitive answer on that.

That's a good question. I don't know the answer but wouldn't it fall under mocktail? 

1 minute ago, ibarrio said:

That's a good question. I don't know the answer but wouldn't it fall under mocktail? 

I don’t know.  It’s not specified on the website and there are yes and no answers online.

10 minutes ago, PatchesJ72 said:

I don’t know.  It’s not specified on the website and there are yes and no answers online.

If you have a Facebook you can add John Heald and ask him directly. He's good about answering questions 

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

And the base amount comes from the pooled tips (and for clarity the pooled tips are the 18% gratuity that is charged for each drink and for the drink package).

Now I’m confused. Based on your post, it seems that 18% of the overall cost of the Cheers package is placed in the tips pool.  Okay, makes sense.  However, the phrase “for each drink” sounds like every time one uses their Cheers package to order a drink, an additional 18% for a tip is automatically added to the bill for that particular drink.   For instance, if I have the Cheers package and order a beer that is listed as costing $8, is it that there would be no charge for the beer because I have the Cheers package but $1.44 would be added to the bill to cover an 18% tip and my onboard account would be charged that $1.44?  Is that correct or have I misunderstood?  

1 minute ago, Bluewake said:

Now I’m confused. Based on your post, it seems that 18% of the overall cost of the Cheers package is placed in the tips pool.  Okay, makes sense.  However, the phrase “for each drink” sounds like every time one uses their Cheers package to order a drink, an additional 18% for a tip is automatically added to the bill for that particular drink.   For instance, if I have the Cheers package and order a beer that is listed as costing $8, is it that there would be no charge for the beer because I have the Cheers package but $1.44 would be added to the bill to cover an 18% tip and my onboard account would be charged that $1.44?  Is that correct or have I misunderstood?  

No. They only get a fraction of the 18% of the daily Cheers amount, not individual drink prices like they would if you didn’t have cheers. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bluewake said:

misunderstood. Tips above the already paid for 18% are optional. 

12 minutes ago, Bluewake said:

I have no idea what they actually do. I always just assumed they spread the 18% we pay on Cheers across the entire bar department.

7 hours ago, Bluewake said:

If someone doesn't have Cheers an 18% tip is added to the drink and that is what the phrase "for each drink" refers to. For Cheers they charge 18% on the cost of the package. You don't pay an additional tip (unless you choose to) with Cheers.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mz-s said:

I have no idea what they actually do. I always just assumed they spread the 18% we pay on Cheers across the entire bar department.

At that, in a nut shell, is the very definition of a tip pool. 

• Like 1