Taking Ashes Onboard

Gma&Gpa

I will be taking my late husband's ashes onboard soon to be scattered, but could use some advice.  I have a scattering tube, and while it is not huge, 4 x89 cylinder, I'm trying to decide if it should be placed in my suitcase and delivered, or should I carry it in my backpack that will be carried in with me.  It's a little heavier than I expected, so I am leaning toward the suitcase, but I don't know if it will be something that will cause them to decide they need to open the suitcase for inspection.  It's not metal - but totally biodegradable material. And it will take a sizeable space in my suitcase.   Any of you that have had  experience with this, I would appreciate your input.  

Thank you

I recently scattered my brother’s ashes from the Panorama.  I had a scattering tube which I carried in my carry-on bag.  I didn’t want to trust putting it in my suitcase, in case the suitcase went astray.  It required extra screening at the airport but not getting on the ship. I went to Guest Services when I got on the ship and they arranged a time for me and my sister to scatter our brother’s ashes at sea.They were very considerate and helpful, and they presented each of us with a beautiful padded folder with a picture of the ship and a certificate showing exactly where and at what time his remains were scattered.

• Like 7

Thank you all so much.   My main concern was if it was going to be an issue getting on the ship with the scattering tube. WE are going by Amtrak (only 3 hours away) so we should not have any screening issue.  I am now convinced the carry on is the best way to go.  Again, my thanks.

13 hours ago, nwcruiselover said:

I recently scattered my brother’s ashes from the Panorama.  I had a scattering tube which I carried in my carry-on bag.  I didn’t want to trust putting it in my suitcase, in case the suitcase went astray.  It required extra screening at the airport but not getting on the ship. I went to Guest Services when I got on the ship and they arranged a time for me and my sister to scatter our brother’s ashes at sea.They were very considerate and helpful, and they presented each of us with a beautiful padded folder with a picture of the ship and a certificate showing exactly where and at what time his remains were scattered.

That’s really lovely. I’m glad they were so helpful and considerate. I’m so sorry for your loss.

OP, I hope that all goes well for you also and my condolences on the loss of your husband.

This is what I’d like after I pass away.

Edited by momof3cruisers
  • Like 1

Just read the FAQ on their website. Ooops we took my partner's mother's ashes onboard twice - 2017 & 2018 and didn't tell them or bring the death certificate. They were in a small container in our carry on and no one asked or said anything. Not sure what the experience would be like now, we didn't do it on our last Carnival cruise in 2021.